very interesting ketoconazole, pirictone olamine study

michael barry

Reaction score
C. Piérard-Franchimont, V. Goffin, F. Henry, I. Uhoda, C. Braham, G. E. Piérard.

Nudging hair shedding by antidandruff shampoos. A comparison of 1% ketoconazole, 1% piroctone olamine and 1% zinc pyrithione formulations.

International Journal of Cosmetic Science Volume 24, Issue 5, Page 249-256, Oct 2002

Synopsis

Hair shedding and hair thinning have been reported to be affected by dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis. The present study was conducted in 150 men presenting with telogen effluvium related to androgenic alopecia associated with dandruff. They were randomly allocated to three groups receiving each one of the three shampoos in the market containing either 1% ketoconazole (KTZ), 1% piroctone olamine (PTO) or 1% zinc pyrithione (ZPT). Shampoos had to be used 2-3 times a week for 6 months. Hair shedding during shampoo was evaluated semiquantitatively. Hair density on the vertex was evaluated on photographs using a Dermaphot. Trichograms were used for determining the anagen hair percentage and the mean proximal hair shaft diameter using computerized image analysis. The sebum excretion rate (SER, g cm2 h1) was also measured using a Sebumeter®.
The three treatments cleared pruritus and dandruff rapidly. At end point, hair density was unchanged, although hair shedding was decreased (KTZ: -17.3%, PTO: -16.5%, ZPT: -10.1%) and the anagen hair percentage was increased (KTZ: 4.9%, PTO: 7.9%, ZPT: 6.8%). The effect on the mean hair shaft diameter was contrasted between the three groups of volunteers (KTZ: 5.4%, PTO: 7.7%, ZPT: -2.2%). In conclusion, telogen effluvium was controlled by KTZ, PTO and ZPT shampoos at 1% concentration. In addition, KTZ and PTO increased the mean hair shaft thickness while discretely decreasing the sebum output at the skin surface.

From the full study:

Conclusion

The present study comparing 1% KTZ, 1% PTO and 1% ZPT shampoos has demonstrated that these products have some other benefits in addition to their reported antidandruff effect. The data show that these shampoos have a beneficial effect on the anagen/ telogen ratio, by increasing the anagen hair percentage in subjects with dandruff. This results in a reduced hair shedding. In addition, the data show that 1% KTZ and 1% PTO, but not 1% ZPT, produce a beneficial effect on scalp seborrhoea and hair shaft diameter. The reason for such opposite effect is unknown. Finally, the data show that scalp seborrhoea is inversely correlated with hair thickness. The virtue of such a finding is its simplicity. However, the results cannot be taken at face value. There may remain debate whether reducing sebum excess on the scalp may lead to thicker hair, and whether increasing scalp seborrhoea may be accompanied by a reduction in the hair shaft diameter.

Strange Days

Reaction score
ciclopirox olamine shampoo:

Ciclopirox Shampoo for Treating Seborrheic Dermatitis

Ciclopirox is the ethanolamine salt of 6-cyclohexyl-I-hydroxy-4- methyl-2(IH)-pyridone.16 The empirical formula of ciclopirox is C12H17NO2, with a molecular weight of 207.27.17 Ciclopirox
shampoo 1% is a colorless, translucent solution,17 which has been used in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. In addition to its effect on Malassezia yeasts, ciclopirox has been shown to decrease inflammation. Rosen et al.18 found that the anti-inflammatory activity of ciclopirox was greater than that of several azole agents or hydrocortisone. Ciclopirox appears to exert its anti-inflammatory effect via several pathways, including the inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase and cyclo-oxygenase.19,20

CCS

Reaction score

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Kerium Intensif from La Roche Posay twice a week for 9 months.
It’s an anti-dandruff & exfoliating shampoo with 1% piroctone olamine & 1.4% salicylic acid.
It costs $20 for 125ml, but one bottle will last for 6-7 months.
I use it as a pre wash (5 min.) on my Nizoral days.

CCS

Reaction score
It lather's that well?

michael barry

Reaction score
pirictone olamine is apparently a pretty strong anti-oxidant.

I noticed that Alpecin's "Double Effect" shampoo for hairloss and dandruff has BHT, a strong anti-oxidant, as well as salycic acid in it with the caffeine and menthol and zinc and retinal acetate and tocopherol.

Note-=if the menthol is extracted from spearmint, based on the spearmint tea hirsutism studies from Turkish researchers, it may be an anti-androgen

CCS

Reaction score
where do I buy it? I'm interested in this new active ingredient and having an anti-inflammatory shampoo and adding apple poly to it. I also found polysorbate 80 with niacin and biotin in it, which I can add to a shampoo.

michael barry

Reaction score
CCS,

Where do you buy what? If its the Alpecin your talking about, Im guessin stateside you'd have to go to Ebay for the Double Effect shampoo, although the regular hairloss shampoo is on lipoxidil.

The hairloss/dandruff shampoo also has piroctone olamine in it.

Here are the ingredients from alpecin.com,:

Ingredients:
Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Laureth-2, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Caffeine, Panthenol, Parfum, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Salicylic Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Chloride, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-7, Menthol, Sodium Benzoate, Niacinamide, Zinc PCA, Limonene, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, BHT, CI 60730.

close window

CCS

Reaction score
Can I buy the bulk active ingredient?

I'd like to buy the moogoo, but they don't ship outside australia.

Is BHT cheap? Maybe I should put that in shampoo.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
BHT is cheap. You can buy a bottle of it from beyond-a-century.com for just a few bucks. That'll last you forever.

Bryan

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Can I buy the bulk active ingredient?

What ingredient specifically?

Salicylic acid (USP), 500 gm. $15.99
http://www.medichest.com/salicylicacidpo.html

The other ingredients you mentioned: BHT, caffeine, menthol, zinc, etc., are also inexpensive and none of them should be difficult to obtain in bulk.

Try: http://thepersonalformulator.com
They have a bunch of common items, which helps avoid the shipping costs incurred from ordering many items separately.