J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Conclusion from the study itself -

Group 1 was minoxidil only
Group 2 was microneedling only
Group 3 was microneedling and minoxidil

The best therapeutic response was seen in group 3. Improvement was seen in non-vellus hair count, total hair counts, thickness, investigator assessment, and patient self assessment.

Patient in the group 3 had the best subjective cosmetic result - 80% of these patients showed 50% improvement in hair growth. However this number was 11.2% of group 1 and 5.6 in group 2.

Group 3 also witnessed the largest increase in new vellus hair growth(reversal of miniaturized hair?).

I have difficulty understanding a few other things in this study because it seems they were applying minoxidil right after micro needling. I can't tell if this is because the authors may not write English as well as a native speaker or if they were actually applying minoxidil right after micro needling. They talked about a particular epidermal barrier made up of dead cells that inhibited absorption of topicals and using a electric micro needling device perforates this barrier at multiple places resulting in better drug passage.

Guys we need to figure this out. Read the study and post here your interpretations of this.

"For group 3, 2ml of 5% minoxidil (Wanma Pharmaceutical Company, Hangzhou, China) was delivered into the scalp at the mean time of microneedle treatments."

"Patient receiving topical 5% minoxidil applied 1 ml of the solution twice daily over the course of the study, but for group 3, the topical minoxidil was stopped using on the microneedle treatments days because the same amount of drug had already been delivered into the scalp during microneedle treatments."

They say twice that they apply the minoxidil onto the scalp immediately after needling, that must be what they mean. They skip applying minoxidil for the rest of that day because they applied the 2ml at the "mean" time of needling.

So yeah they apply 2ml right after needling, then resume 1ml 2x/day the next day. Not sure why everyone says not to apply right after needling then...

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have decided that I will apply half ml of minoxidil in my worst hit area right after microneedling to see what happens. I will keep the area small and take weekly pictures to see what the hell happens.

If it affects my blood pressure or cause any other problem I will stop immediately.
Good luck man! It's applied right after in the study so no reason not to try. Also you can get blood pressure monitors off amazon for like £15. I got one and I've tested it out. Gonna be using it when I try minoxidil again at a lower dose.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is nothing really hard to interpret on that study.

They used minoxidil right after the microneedling session, like many good responders here do.

Saw a better cosmetical improvement in the minoxidil + Microneedling device group like other studies reported.

The only novelty is the microneedling only group achieving slightly better results than minoxidil alone.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is nothing really hard to interpret on that study.

They used minoxidil right after the microneedling session, like many good responders here do.

Saw a better cosmetical improvement in the minoxidil + Microneedling device group like other studies reported.

The only novelty is the microneedling only group achieving slightly better results than minoxidil alone.

Yeah I asked that because I didn't believe what my eyes was reading. They were applying minoxidil along with the treatment when the absorption is supposed to be 1000 times. I thought that is really bad for your heart.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck man! It's applied right after in the study so no reason not to try. Also you can get blood pressure monitors off amazon for like £15. I got one and I've tested it out. Gonna be using it when I try minoxidil again at a lower dose.

I feel if the worst hit area responds quickly then it worth doing. I'm going to do it in a controlled setting and do so only in a small area.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"For group 3, 2ml of 5% minoxidil (Wanma Pharmaceutical Company, Hangzhou, China) was delivered into the scalp at the mean time of microneedle treatments."

"Patient receiving topical 5% minoxidil applied 1 ml of the solution twice daily over the course of the study, but for group 3, the topical minoxidil was stopped using on the microneedle treatments days because the same amount of drug had already been delivered into the scalp during microneedle treatments."

They say twice that they apply the minoxidil onto the scalp immediately after needling, that must be what they mean. They skip applying minoxidil for the rest of that day because they applied the 2ml at the "mean" time of needling.

So yeah they apply 2ml right after needling, then resume 1ml 2x/day the next day. Not sure why everyone says not to apply right after needling then...

Probably because you may see a sharp drop in blood pressure. I wonder if people on this thread who did this could share the experience afterwards.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** it.

Like Russo I'm gonna follow the Chinese study and come back to you guys looking like this if it works.

tumblr_inline_p28e9gzd2v1v3rjxu_500.gif

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably because you may see a sharp drop in blood pressure. I wonder if people on this thread who did this could share the experience afterwards.
I used minoxidil 2x/day (like 1.3ml each application) and I got chest tightness, chest pains and just an all round uncomfortable chest after 10 days. Was quite worrying. I didn't apply on days that I microneedled but I did apply to a damp scalp a few times which increases absorbtion a lot.

Good news is it completely went away in like 3-4 days. I've check my blood pressure many times since and it's on the higher end of normal so everything seems alright. I'm not very active recently so I'd expect it to be a bit high.

Gonna be much more careful this time and apply only 1ml 1x/day, as well as tracking blood pressure. Just waiting to see if I can get a couple of scabs on my head to heal up before I start again.

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

http://dermarollerinfo.com/micro-needling-derma-roller-for-hair-loss/

upload_2018-12-9_18-50-23.jpeg
Many users use Minoxidil with dermarollerprocedure. It is highly recommended that you use smaller needles such as 0.25mm to 0.3mm to boost the absorption of Minoxidil. NEVER apply Minoxidilimmediately after a micro needling treatment withlonger needles such as 0.5 to 1.5mm. Wait 24 hours before applying.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://dermarollerinfo.com/micro-needling-derma-roller-for-hair-loss/

View attachment 106288
Many users use Minoxidil with dermarollerprocedure. It is highly recommended that you use smaller needles such as 0.25mm to 0.3mm to boost the absorption of Minoxidil. NEVER apply Minoxidilimmediately after a micro needling treatment withlonger needles such as 0.5 to 1.5mm. Wait 24 hours before applying.

This I already know. The issue is Chinese researchers applying twice the normal dose right after dermarolling. I remember this guy on reddit who dermarolled 1.5mm every other day for the first two weeks and then dropped the frequency to weekly and later every month, and the f****r advanced his hairline by half an f*****g inch. He too applied minoxidil right after dermarolling. His regrowth was all terminal hair.

The only was we can know for sure is to carefully try ourselves. I'm going to monitor myself after the application. I'll do it on this saturday morning with the dermaroller I have and apply minoxidil right after and when the pen comes I'll start using that.

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This I already know. The issue is Chinese researchers applying twice the normal dose right after dermarolling. I remember this guy on reddit who dermarolled 1.5mm every other day for the first two weeks and then dropped the frequency to weekly and later every month, and the f****r advanced his hairline by half an f*****g inch. He too applied minoxidil right after dermarolling. His regrowth was all terminal hair.

The only was we can know for sure is to carefully try ourselves. I'm going to monitor myself after the application. I'll do it on this saturday morning with the dermaroller I have and apply minoxidil right after and when the pen comes I'll start using that.

I'm tempted to apply some after needling, what's the worst that could happen? Could try a little just now actually, after my session earlier.
I only apply it in the morning before needling at the moment.

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tell your mother to send us a message if it goes full systemic and thanks for what you did in the name of science. You will be remember as Big Guinea Pig Jimmy. I'm sure you will be accepted in the paradise of the bald. Seems like it's beautiful over there :D

No, seriously, don't do that. 1000 times the concentration sounds scary. We need more clue before doing this bro'!

haha, I didn't do it . I do however apply it the following morning which is around 12 hours later and there is no issue.

serioushair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm tempted to apply some after needling, what's the worst that could happen? Could try a little just now actually, after my session earlier.
I only apply it in the morning before needling at the moment.
Normally, the min is topical and doesn't get into the body too much. With wounding, applying min right afterwards increases the amount of min that may be absorbed by the body systemically as opposed to topically only. Check out the sided for the min pill, and so you might increase your risk for those, and the effects of the oral pill.

serioushair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Normally, the min is topical and doesn't get into the body too much. With wounding, applying min right afterwards increases the amount of min that may be absorbed by the body systemically as opposed to topically only. Check out the sided for the min pill, and so you might increase your risk for those, and the effects of the oral pill.
*sides

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not going to complain though. That was my first session on the face and I can already say that my forehead wrinkles are not that visible anymore. They weren't even deep to begin with, but still. Amazing stuff!
The results soon after are only temporary due to the skin swelling. It’s takes a few months for new collagen to be created.