VERY DIZZY - just used minoxidil for the first time

mevsdht

Reaction score
I feel like I'm going to faint to be honest. Am I making this up in my head or is this something real. I also started finasteride (this morning). But it wasn't until I put the rogaine on (half hour later) that I'm feeling like this.

I've had a lot of blood pressure problems in the past (extremely low BP, i used to be on medicine to constrict my blood vessels because it was so low). Maybe I'm not a good candidate to use this? That would really suck.

Cassin

Reaction score
mevsdht said:
I feel like I'm going to faint to be honest. Am I making this up in my head or is this something real. I also started finasteride (this morning). But it wasn't until I put the rogaine on (half hour later) that I'm feeling like this.

I've had a lot of blood pressure problems in the past (extremely low BP, i used to be on medicine to constrict my blood vessels because it was so low). Maybe I'm not a good candidate to use this? That would really suck.

Minoxidil in full strengh (tablet form) is a blood pressure medicine.

Maybe you need to wash it off and do some more research on it later.

The artical below is speaking of the tablets.

How does it work?

Minoxidil acts by relaxing and widening the small arteries of the body (arterioles). This reduces the pressure inside the blood vessels and hence lowers high blood pressure.

Minoxidil must be used with other medicines in the treatment of high blood pressure for two reasons. Firstly, the body's natural response to widening of the arterioles and a drop in blood pressure is to increase the heart rate, which would then increase the blood pressure again. As this is an unwanted effect when treating high blood pressure, a beta blocker, such as propranolol, is often included in the treatment to slow the reflex increase in heart rate.

Secondly, minoxidil can cause fluid and salt retention, which increases the volume of fluid and therefore the pressure within the blood vessels. As this is also not beneficial in treating high blood pressure, a diuretic, such as furosemide, is included in treatment to remove this excess fluid.

What is it used for?

* Treatment of severely high blood pressure (hypertension) in combination with other medicines

Warning!

* Treatment with minoxidil may result in a weight gain of more than 2-3 pounds due to fluid retention. Therefore, individuals should ensure they take their water (diuretic) tablets regularly as prescribed. A detailed record of body weight should also be kept.

* This medicine causes excessive hair growth (hypertrichosis) in most people. This is reversible within one to three months of stopping treatment.

* As minoxidil is removed from the blood by dialysis, individuals receiving haemodialysis should take minoxidil either after or at least two hours before dialysis.

Use with caution in

* Angina pectoris

* Coronary heart disease

* Heart failure

* People over 65 years of age

* People who have recently had a heart attack

Not to be used in

* Breastfeeding

* Tumour of the adrenal gland (phaeochromocytoma)

This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.

If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

* There is no information available about the safety of this medicine during pregnancy. Seek medical advice from your doctor.

* This medicine passes into breast milk. Breastfeeding is not recommended when taking this medicine. Seek medical advice from your doctor.

Side effects

Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.

* Rash

* Faster than normal heart beat (tachycardia)

* Swelling of the legs and ankles due to excess fluid retention (peripheral oedema)

* Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain

* Weight gain

* Excessive hair growth (hypertrichosis)

* Breast tenderness

The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.

For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.

How can this medicine affect other medicines?

When taken with other medicines which decrease blood pressure there is an increased risk of a large drop in blood pressure.

Other medicines containing the same active ingredients

Minoxidil tablets

Last updated 8.7.2004

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001538.html

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
i didnt read the post before mine..it was too long. But, I remember I was so paranoid the first time I put on minoxidil, I thought i was gonna get a heart attack. The worst days are the first few days because oure wondering if somethigns going to happen. I remember staying up all night because I thought i was growing tits and watchng the Olympic swimmers to see if they had man boobs bigger than mine. Turns out it was just paranoia at its worst. I thkn everyone gets that..try it for a few days. of course it MIGHT not be paranoia in which case..well..you know...but try it for a few worry free days. I'm sure 2 or 3 applications cant cause any irreparable damage.

Good luck

Zen2Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
If you had problems with low blood pressure in the past please stop using minoxidil and consult your DR.

grtt

Reaction score
mevsdht said:

Hmm, personally I don't use it any more, since I might be oversensitive to it. I have experienced fast heart beat, and eye pufiness. I looked bad! Perhaps I'll use 2% minoxidil to see if it works..
I use finasteride with no side effects though!