Vellus hairs on a normal scalp

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
If i am not mistaken, doesnt a normal healthy head of hair have some vellus hairs scattered throughout it? I thought i read that somewhere.

The reason i ask is because today i was examining my crown. It looks the same as I can remember it looking. I have no thinning that i am aware of but its sometimes hard to tell because my hair grows in different directions in that area (always has). I was gently pulling at the crown area but couldnt pull out any hairs. I tried this probably twenty times.

I eventually got a very fine vellus looking hair.

I guess the thing i really wonder about is: If an area is thinning wont there be many thinning hairs? If the crown is thinning could it have a ton of non affected terminal hairs and only a few vellus hairs that are affected so far? I dont know if you know what i am pointing at? From what i can see. all the hairs look very healthy. They have the same diameter as the rest of my hair and some are even thicker i think.

I think that when an area is thinning the majority of the hairs would be loosing diameter wouldnt they? There couldn't ony be a few that were finer.

My reasoning: DHT should have about an equal affect on most of the hairs. Otherwise only a few would would shrink and the rest would be healthy. No thinning would be evident as a result.

Please tell me if my reasoning is right?