VEGETARIANISM/VEGANISM: My hair loss started after I became a Vegan.

GoodHurr

Reaction score
Many years ago, I was a strict vegetarian/vegan for more than 5 years. All the health problems I had, some of which I still have, started around that time. Including my hair loss.
I have always known that my hair loss coincided with my veganism, but I have since resumed eating animal products, and my health has improved, but not to the level I want it to be at.

During the later stage of my vegetarianism, I started feeling weak and craving FAT. Lots and lots of fat, especially bacon fat and chicken hearts or gizzards.

I haven't been a vegetarian for quite a while now, but I feel like I somehow did long-lasting damage to my body that is taking longer to heal than it did to do the actual damage. Are there any ex-vegetarians here or people who went vegetarian/vegan and found that their health declined (doesn't necessarily have to be hair loss) ?

I have met many ex-vegetarians in my life, mostly because their health collapsed after a certain point and they felt a natural craving for animal products, like eggs and meat. It's simply a lie that a plant-based diet can provide every vitamin and mineral (it can't), so if someone develops a deficiency on a vegan diet, I wouldn't be surprised if their hair would fall out.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
As part of the vegan diet what was your main source of protein?
I watch the Vegan Gainz guy on youtube and he sure sounds convincing about the diet.
But thanks for sharing your story.
But I think in your case the hairloss might have been a coincidence with starting the vegan diet. Family history of genetic hairloss would be a better indicator.

GoodHurr

Reaction score
As part of the vegan diet what was your main source of protein?
I watch the Vegan Gainz guy on youtube and he sure sounds convincing about the diet.
But thanks for sharing your story.
But I think in your case the hairloss might have been a coincidence with starting the vegan diet. Family history of genetic hairloss would be a better indicator.

Vegan Gains is clearly a sociopath. He's the type that's going to shoot up a high school.

As far as "Family history of genetic hairloss" I don't really have any. My father, grandfather and uncle all have a full head of hair.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Bllsiht...this forum will make me to pull out my own hairs reading such stupid post like attributing various reasons to hairloss,wtf,few days back i read about someone attribuiting headphones to hairloss,this is getting too serious.St

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Because people wish to blame things other than genetics. I mean there are other forms of hair loss its just that a majority of males that suffer from hair loss suffer from male pattern baldness. I know you wish to blame being a Vegan on your hair loss even though you're back to eating animal products. But a vitamin deficiency if anything would be linked to either a different form of hair loss not male pattern baldness. Go see a dermatologist, or a hair transplant surgeon to get an accurate assessment if your hair loss is male pattern baldness or if it was due to other factors.

They'd be able to answer your question to a better extent about if a Vegan diet could of been the cause of your hair loss; personally I don't think it is, nor do I think the person who thinks wearing headphones could cause male pattern baldness.

GoodHurr

Reaction score
Bllsiht...this forum will make me to pull out my own hairs reading such stupid post like attributing various reasons to hairloss,wtf,few days back i read about someone attribuiting headphones to hairloss,this is getting too serious.St

I read that headphones post.

Not sure why you think vegetarianism can't induce hair loss, when it's inherently a starvation diet that doesn't provide every Vitamin and mineral that animal foods have.

- - - Updated - - -

Because people wish to blame things other than genetics. I mean there are other forms of hair loss its just that a majority of males that suffer from hair loss suffer from male pattern baldness. I know you wish to blame being a Vegan on your hair loss even though you're back to eating animal products. But a vitamin deficiency if anything would be linked to either a different form of hair loss not male pattern baldness. Go see a dermatologist, or a hair transplant surgeon to get an accurate assessment if your hair loss is male pattern baldness or if it was due to other factors.

They'd be able to answer your question to a better extent about if a Vegan diet could of been the cause of your hair loss; personally I don't think it is, nor do I think the person who thinks wearing headphones could cause male pattern baldness.

Genetics are less than 10% of your overall health status. Your diet and mental state are more important to whether or not you will develop health issues than genetics is. There are Type 1 Diabetics out there that control their blood sugar levels without Insulin, only through diet. It seems so "fatal" to just pass the buck off to genetics.

But even genetics are able to change over a lifetime, saying that someone's hairloss is genetic is unproductive.
http://www.whatisepigenetics.com/fundamentals/
http://http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/

People like you are too quick to pass the blame off to genetics, when often times it's your lifestyle habits and mental health that cause health problems. For me, my health problems started because my diet was **** (veganism) and my body did the best it could given the fact that I was destroying my digestion with cellulose-based foods.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The way I see it,

Diet may very well affect hair loss, however, there is no convincing, relevant evidence of specific dietary patterns impacting hair loss or preventing Androgenetic Alopecia.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
99% chance it is male-pattern-baldness. Don't fool yourself.
You said you craved fat, why the **** didn't you just eat nuts? Or are you not allowed to eat them?
High in fat and protein. I'm no vegan but obviously you were doing something wrong.

Reaction score
I was a vegetarian for about 5 years.
i'm a skinny guy with a fast metabolism so i can eat everything with out gaining. but when i stopped eating meet i lost 7kg in a few months and my hair loss started.
Now i love meet again and my hair is feeling better.

Reaction score
iron is often a problem with vegetarians and vegans (don't know if they are called that way). Iron deficiency can cause hair loss.

You case sounds a bit like you may could have male pattern baldness well.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a vegetarian for about 5 years.
i'm a skinny guy with a fast metabolism so i can eat everything with out gaining. but when i stopped eating meet i lost 7kg in a few months and my hair loss started.
Now i love meet again and my hair is feeling better.

Fast metabolism is a good point here, everyone is different and their body responds to things taken in differently. If someone has a family history of obesity or collecting fat than maybe veganism might be the answer.
But those eggs cooked in peanut oil this morning really hit the spot, unlike seeds, nuts, or vegetables would. Do you crave carrots and salary after a hard gym workout? Nope. Veggies just can't play subs with fat for energy and meat for muscle recovery/building. Would someone sitting on the couch have the same craving, probably not - key is listen to your body.

As for killing animals for food - well what other purpose do cows, pigs, chickens serve for humanity? Don't recall a kid every saying they would want one for a pet.

dekaz

Established Member
Reaction score
hehe it was me with the headphones post! but tbh i will be quitting treatment today because i have been very sick and constantly worrying about my hair and using finasteride/min/nizoral and getting frustrated with still seeing balding and im just tired of it...im ready to just accept it and mvoe on, spent the last 1.5 years of my life dealing with this hair loss and im tired of it, and im just going to accept baldness, shave and enjoy my life and ENJOY MY AUDIOPHILE HEADPHONES :D how i have missed them....i bet they will feel even better on my clean shaved head :D ... also if u think about it...the smilies in this forum are bald too :)