Vegetarianism, Post WWII Japan, Etc.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the end of World War II the typical Japanese diet of fish, rice, etc has progressively given way to a typical Western diet. And, at the same time, Japanese men and women have experienced a significant increase in hair loss.

I can't remember what site I got this quote from, I had it saved on my computer...

I have read several places that because of the westernization of Japan in Post WWII, hairloss has increased significantly.

Granted, this could be due to the large number of european soldiers in Japan at this time (making babies, etc), so the "baldness gene" could have been introduced in this manner.

I still give some credit to the whole diet thing.

What are your thoughts?

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Or it could be that before WWII every baldie had a combover :D
or
they are seeing their past through rose tinted glasses

G

Itsonlyinmyhead said:
Or it could be that before WWII every baldie had a combover :D or
they are seeing their past through rose tinted glasses

Haha yeah. "He had a full head of hair"... my *** :lol: . Damn the combover is so funny it's not true. I once saw an old man who was fixing his combover in public 'cause the wind had apparently messed it. It was like nothing to him, he just combed the long hair from his back and sides to cover his bald head. I must admit that I was more shocked than amused :lol: . The guys doing combovers are screaming to get yelled "Man, you ain't got no hair, accept it" in their face.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd want to see a study that really showed that hairloss increased.

I am half Japanese, and half of my older male relatives are balding. And some of them are in their 70's and 80's.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
TheOliviaTremorControl said:
Since the end of World War II the typical Japanese diet of fish, rice, etc has progressively given way to a typical Western diet. And, at the same time, Japanese men and women have experienced a significant increase in hair loss.

I can't remember what site I got this quote from, I had it saved on my computer...

I have read several places that because of the westernization of Japan in Post WWII, hairloss has increased significantly.

Granted, this could be due to the large number of european soldiers in Japan at this time (making babies, etc), so the "baldness gene" could have been introduced in this manner.

What are your thoughts?

I tried eating fish, rice and vegetables for years and it had no impact to stop my hairloss...

believe me, i have tried these snake oils or food theories and none of them worked.. you want to lose time, hope and gain stress?? go and try it for yourself, and then come back and tell us how you did.. i have been losing my hair for 10 years, i tried everything before starting on the proven ones.....

docj077

Reaction score
Eat soy based foods with every meal and drink black tea like a fish. Then, you might see an improvement. As far as I know, there is nothing else that you put into your regular diet (excluding supplements) that would help hair loss more.

Simply removing fats or lowering carbs will do nothing. The androgens will still be there no matter what you do with regards to the basics. However, the combination of black tea and soy seems to be quite effective at lowering DHT. That is probably what was included in the Japanese diet before it was westernized.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Only big 3 work on me so far...the rest never did a damn thing.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
I_Hate_DHT said:
TheOliviaTremorControl said:

What are your thoughts?

I tried eating fish, rice and vegetables for years and it had no impact to stop my hairloss...

believe me, i have tried these snake oils or food theories and none of them worked.. you want to lose time, hope and gain stress?? go and try it for yourself, and then come back and tell us how you did.. i have been losing my hair for 10 years, i tried everything before starting on the proven ones.....

Did you eat only fish, rice and vegetables? Did you eat only brown rice? And no modern processed food? No grains? No junk food at all?