Vegetarian Diet

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently take 1mg finasteride daily, 1mg dutasteride weekly, topical spironolactone and minoxidil once daily.

I have been on this since approx January 2009 (didn't add dutasteride until a year ago) without much success, my temples continue to thin at a continuous, albeit fairly slow rate. I do not believe these treatments are having much of any effect, but I hope at least they are slowing down my loss.

Whilst there is a history of male pattern baldness in my family, there is no history of it starting at an early age (mine started at 17, I am now 27). My brothers and cousins (or similar ages) all have perfect hair.

Whilst I believe genes and DHT are the biggest factor, I can't help but feel that being a vegetarian since 5 years old (no fish, and very little soya - I do not like meat substitutes) has had a negative impact. Even photographs of me as a child shows me with thin, wiry hair. I have also always had a big forehead which does not help. The photographs of me as a child also show visibly thinner temples, which is strange.

I therefore believe that lifestyle does play a part and I have also read things about insulin being a factor. I eat a high carb, low protein diet. I probably lack the usual vitamins you get from red meat, iron etc.

Can any recommend any vitamin supplements I should take, which are lacking in my diet and which may assist with hair loss/strength?

Many thanks

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean by "vegetarian"? Are you consuming any animal derived "food"? It would be best to make a blood test for nutrients. Second best would be to use a nutrition software to track your food intake vs nutrients. Usual suspects for a deficiency would be B12, D3, K2, zinc, iodine, iron, selenium, and so on.

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "vegetarian"? Are you consuming any animal derived "food"? It would be best to make a blood test for nutrients. Second best would be to use a nutrition software to track your food intake vs nutrients. Usual suspects for a deficiency would be B12, D3, K2, zinc, iodine, iron, selenium, and so on.

Thanks. I am not a vegan. I do not eat eggs but do eat cheese/dairy. I eat no meat or fish whatsoever.

I have gone and purchased vitamins tablets designed for vegetarians which include all of those vitamins you have listed. Will see how things go....

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Eat 10 soy yoghourts everyday, with all these isoflavones you can regrowth something !

yea.. sure he can: boobs! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hammer, you need to get some whey proteine concentrate (WPC) asap. increase proteine itake min. 60-100g a day. Zinc, iron, d3, biotin wouldn't hurt.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
It's hard to be 100% healthy on any diet, but it's especially harder on a vegetarian diet. You will miss a lot of vitamins (B12 for example). Some of your best source of protein are also not that healthy (soy can create health problems, a lot of legumes can create health problems if not properly prepared). Wheat is not that healty either(it will spike your insulin and make you fatter). You say that you are high carb, low protein. Hair are made of protein, if you are low on protein your body may reserve it for more essential part of your body. And also, there is evidence that milk accelerate hair loss.

Your best bet is to try to like eggs. Around three eggs a day. You can only eat the white part if you want, it contains less fat and more protein and the taste is not as strong.

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I need to increase my protein intake, but simply cannot stomach eggs. Whilst not scientifically proven(?), I'm sure that fact that hair is built of protein means protein can only be good for hair.

I used to take whey protein when hitting the gym (I remember my hair being quite good at the time, but may just be comparing it to now), but haven't used it for years. In light of certain question marks around whey products, would pea protein do a similar job?