Vasoconstriction Induced By Caffeine Causing Thinning

iwantmorehairdudes

My Regimen
Reaction score
There seem to be multiple accounts out there of people correlating thinner hair to excessive caffeine consumption and many times pinpoint coffee consumption. Is it reasonable to believe that coffee and sodas can indeed induce a level of vasoconstriction in certain areas of the scalp (hair line/temples/top of scalp) to a degree large enough to affect hair loss? I have also heard that caffeine has negative effects on cortisol levels. If caffeine has the ability to negatively affect multiple areas that could then at least affect hair growth, would it be wise to stay away from caffeine? For coffee/soda drinkers should they ad vasodilators to the regime in order to improve blood flow such as ginkgo, ginger, etc. Any one have experience with this?

iwantmorehairdudes

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wasn't insinuating that an excessive caffeine intake would be the sole cause for major balding. I was simply stating that it isn't out of the question to suggest that it could indeed have an effect on hair production and thus contribute to thinner hair in general. Note that there are people who can not tolerate caffeine well systematically or have minor allergic reactions to it as well. Also note that I used the word excessive. I don't believe a conspicuously minute amount of caffeine consumption on a regular basis would have detrimental effects on the body. Additionally, caffeines natural function is as a toxic pesticide, being produced by a range a plants for that specific purpose. Effectively, natures intent is for it to indeed have a negative systematic effect on biological systems. It is not out of the realm of possibility for such a substance to negatively impact hair growth. I am just curious as to whether others may also see this as a possibility?

Justalurker123

Reaction score
When there is an imbalance in the body, the body will naturally perform what's known as a negative feedback loop to return it to homeostasis. If you consume caffeine, your blood vessels narrow, your blood pressure goes up, and as a natural consequence, your body will release less anti-diuretic hormone in order to release some of the fluid and consequently bring your blood pressure back down. Lower blood pressure = greater blood vessel diameter.

If we accept that everyone is idiosyncratic, then the only way I can see this as being possible is if an individual already has naturally higher blood pressure and consumes a cup of coffee/tea once every few hours in order for the effects of caffeine to linger in the body.

I'm not disregarding it, but I don't think it's applicable to everyone on a large scale. Just my two cents as someone who works in healthcare.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
I think some people have a genetic reaction to caffeine that causes hairloss. That's why some people can drink 10 cups a day and have full head of hair. Genetics do play a role, but not in the same way people think.