Various Questions....

ITR000

Reaction score
I am new to this board, I guess I stumble across it while looking for various hair loss treatments...

I am fairly new to the hair loss scene so I may not use all the correct terms while trying to explain my situation so please bare with me. I want to begin to use something to help stop hair loss, not sure what phase my hair loss is in. That being said I just notice my hair is not as thick as it use to be in my early 20's (I am 27 now) I do not have noticeable hair loss, however, the front on my scalp shows when my hair is wet and this bothers me slightly. I am into healthy living and have always looked after my hair, I currently use 2% Nizoral Shampoo (2 times a week) and another product that I came across at my local drug store (Ducray Anastim RTH 16 - Some Reading For Anyone Interested - http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... readid=291)

I wanted to perhaps step up my treatment since I have always believed in being proactive rather then reactive and was wondering what I should be using in addition to the above.... Also, I have read a few posts which indicate the use of Aloe Vera Gel as a way of calming and soothing the scalp during treatments and was wondering is there is a specific brand that I should look for? Something made specifically for the hair / scalp?

Please keep in mind I live in Canada (Toronto) and most of the creams and pills that I have read mentioned as anti-hair loss measures, I cannot get (Canadian Drug Laws Way Too Stringent) I cannot even order products from the various online pharmacies mentioned since they are not allowed to ship to Canada.... AHHHH I hate that!

Thanks in advance. :)

drinkrum

Reaction score

ITR000

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks very much, I have never even heard of that site...

One last question, given my situation, why do you recommend Propecia instead of other hair loss measures? As well, what are the side effects with this drug, both short term and long.

:)

Wow just clicked on link for the online drug store... I recieve a page cannot be found message - :freaked:

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't5 order propecia, get fincar. Both contain the drug finasteride but fincar is cheaper and has 5mg finasteride vs 1mg in propecia. Just cut the pill in 1/4s and you are all set. It costs me ~ 10 bucks a month that way. Propecia is way more expensive.

ITR000

Reaction score
Dinzy said:
Don't5 order propecia, get fincar. Both contain the drug finasteride but fincar is cheaper and has 5mg finasteride vs 1mg in propecia. Just cut the pill in 1/4s and you are all set. It costs me ~ 10 bucks a month that way. Propecia is way more expensive.

Thanks. Just wondering were can I get this drug? I live in Canada and as far as I am aware I need a doctors orders before a pharmacy will prescribe it to me.

Also, what are the side effects if any with this pill? (This may be a myth) however will propecia aid the growth of hair all over ones body, or just the head?

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
You must have a pretty crappy doctor if he/she won't prescribe propecia to you when your hair loss isn't that bad. You should get on propecia Asap. I just talk to my doctor for a bit and discussed that I wanted to go on propecia and needed a prescription and she said ok....

It's not a major deal going on this as millions of people use this drug every day. Canada can't be that tough on drugs.....

ITR000

Reaction score
Stokes said:
You must have a pretty crappy doctor if he/she won't prescribe propecia to you when your hair loss isn't that bad. You should get on propecia Asap. I just talk to my doctor for a bit and discussed that I wanted to go on propecia and needed a prescription and she said ok....

It's not a major deal going on this as millions of people use this drug every day. Canada can't be that tough on drugs.....

Well, I spoke with my doctor, he is not out and out saying no, however he is mentioning that it is not affective in all cases. It is very expensive, there is no longer term studies on side effects, it must be used for the rest of ones life, as soon as use is discontinued, any hair that was grown will quickly fall out, etc, etc, etc....

I can however purchase Rogaine without a prescription (5%) and was wondering what the main differences are between propecia vs. Rogaine use?

Thanks again everyone.

:freaked2: - I want hair like this guy.

dustman2

Reaction score
You can't get 5% monixidil without a prescription up here bud. The Brand name 5% or generic 5% both require prescription, I went through this last week.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ITR000 said:
It is very expensive,

finasteride (Proscar / Propecia) is dirt cheap !! even Merck branded finasteride costs me £70 (UK) a year !!!

It is cheaper to buy Proscar (a 5mg finasteride pill made by Merck) and chop this fella in to 5 pieces (or 4 for convienience) and take one a day (Propecia is a 1mg finasteride pill made by Merck)

ITR000 said:
there is no longer term studies on side effects,

There is a large scale (650,000 male adults) going on as we speak, with each patient taking 5 times the dose of propecia every day for the last 15 years. So far we have no reports of numerous adverse long term effects.

ITR000 said:
it must be used for the rest of ones life

There is a common view on this board that the next 5-10 or 15 years will inevitably bring new solutions (gene therepy, foliicle cloning etc) and finasteride is a way of making sure you have some hair when these new processes make it to market.

ITR000 said:
as soon as use is discontinued, any hair that was grown will quickly fall out, etc, etc, etc....

It will take many months for your hair count to return to whare it would have been if you not started finasterde.

ITR000 said:
I can however purchase Rogaine without a prescription (5%) and was wondering what the main differences are between propecia vs. Rogaine use?

These two drugs are entirely different.

Rogaine (minoxidil) will grow you some extra hair, but will not slow down nor halt male pattern baldness. You will continue to bald whilst using Rogaine.

Propecia (finasteride) will halt or slow down the prgress of male pattern baldness but will grow back only very little hair.

ITR000

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help... I guess Propecia seems to be a better choice for me.... As for the generic types, as mentioned, its next to impossible to acquire them here in Canada.....

Hey it does not say anything about halting of MBP with the use of this drug?

USES:
This medication is used to shrink the size of the prostate gland in men (for benign prostatic hyperplasia). It reduces urinary blockage and improves urine flow.

HOW TO USE:
Take this medication by mouth, usually once a day, or as directed by your doctor. It may be taken without regard to meals. If the tablet is crushed prior to administration, it should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or by a woman who may become pregnant. Read the Patient Information Leaflet available from your pharmacist.

PROSCAR SIDE EFFECTS:
The adverse reactions have been mild and temporary. They include impotence, decreased libido or decreased volume of ejaculate, breast enlargement. Decreased volume of ejaculate does not affect sexual function. Finasteride may increase hair growth. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: breast changes (e.g., lumps, pain, nipple discharge). A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It also say nothing about benign prostatic hyperplasia in Propecias literature.

Proscar = 5mg of finsteride

Propecia = 1mg of finsteride

They are made by the same company from the same ingredients, the only difference is the colour of the coating (see orange text below)

Proscar finasteride, hydrous lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, hydroxypropyl cellulose LF, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, talc, docusate sodium, FD&C Blue 2 aluminum lake and yellow iron oxide.

Propecia finasteride, hydrous lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, hydroxypropyl cellulose LF, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, talc, docusate sodium, yellow ferric oxide, and red ferric oxide.

G

In my experience, the side effects from finasteride are vastly exaggerated on these forums. If you go by what you read here, you'll beleive it causes everything from impotence to obesity :hairy:

ITR000

Reaction score
Ok. I think this is the stuff for me... now just need to figure out how I get my hands on the cheaper Proscar here in Canada...

Thanks for all the help.

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
Just by the way... I have never had any side effects with propecia. Been on it for a year with no probs....I'm still a horny bastard haha

But everyone is different and you can never say for sure that you will never have side effects you must be aware of the potential risks even though they are low :)

ITR000

Reaction score
Stokes said:
Just by the way... I have never had any side effects with propecia. Been on it for a year with no probs....I'm still a horny bastard haha

But everyone is different and you can never say for sure that you will never have side effects you must be aware of the potential risks even though they are low :)

Are you from Canada? How much are you paying for the drug? Is it working for you?

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
Na I'm a Kiwi :D

I pay about $30US a month for finasteride. I buy proscar then cut it into 4 or 5. Need a prescription for it though which kinda sucks...

ITR000

Reaction score
Stokes said:
Na I'm a Kiwi :D

I pay about $30US a month for finasteride. I buy proscar then cut it into 4 or 5. Need a prescription for it though which kinda sucks...

Jesus... why cant I get the generic stuff here in Canada... F@CK!