Using ZMA when working out? It increases testosterone

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey :)

I searched and to my suprise i found nothing about ZMA...
It is a well used supplement for people who hit the gym as it give you a good night's sleep and it claims to raise your testosterone levels who is good for muchle growth. Up to 30% i've read on different webshops

But do that testosterone raising make you bald faster? 30% more is a lot. ZMA contains Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate plus Magnesium Aspartate and vitamin B-6.

Atleast the b vitamins do no harm and the zinc is questionablet and i know nothing about the magnesium. When you work out you use more than "normal" people of those things so i guess you wont overdo zinc by taking ZMA( too much or too little zinc can increase hairloss)

Some info about ZMA here
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html

Ad the line who got me to rethink buying it...:
"The ZMA group had 30% increases in free and total testosterone levels compared to 10 percent decreases in the placebo group... "

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If i where to buy it, it whould not have bin for gaining any faster... But people have reported some crazy realistic dreams, better sleep/wake up fully rested, morning wood and makeing it easy to fall alseep fast after hitting the pillow.

Im not sure about this, but if you use more B6 when you work out,it whouldent hurt to get some more in you since it got a possitive effect on hairgrowth... Probably a very, VERY minor effect tho...

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Most suppliments, including ZMA, have very little real benefit. What happens is people take it and get the placebo effect--they think they are stronger, so they lift better. It's all in their head.

I have been making great gains in the gym with no suppliments. They simply aren't needed.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only supplement i do is proteine, just since its so simple.
Workout -> proteine shake and banana -> shower -> and then i can consider making some dinner or just some crap. If i dident do proteine id have to make something high on proteine after every workout

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interesting.I have not been to the gym for nearly 6 months before that I used to be a regular and most of these health shakes didn't help me that much.I noticed some real change when I increased my water consumption and started to split my meals and have them at regular intervals.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ofc, the body havent recovered after the first few hours, you need a constant flow of the right food to get the most of the training.

But to get back to the original question... With the 30% increased testesterone that this product claim it can give you, will that mean more free T for DHT resulting in faster hairloss or am i trying to think and fail here?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I reckon so but the difference wont be that massive anyway.If you are using some anti androgen,you wont have to worry about anything.Even spironolactone would do.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I don't think it will affect you much, if at all.

I'm on finasteride and my hair seems to be doing better despite my workouts getting better and better.

just take a look at peapoddy--his hair is doing fine and he probably works out harder than any of us.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
I was using Zinc back then and I was sure it wouldn't do anything. However, during that time I felt better: That means higher libido and more energy overall, altough I thought I'm wasting my time with it.

And guess what: I even have bloodwork to show you:

While taking zinc my testosterone was higher than in the previous AND the next bloodtest.

3897cce0.gif

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Shma said:
I was using Zinc back then and I was sure it wouldn't do anything. However, during that time I felt better: That means higher libido and more energy overall, altough I thought I'm wasting my time with it.

And guess what: I even have bloodwork to show you:

While taking zinc my testosterone was higher than in the previous AND the next bloodtest.

3897cce0.gif

what kind of sides did you get? your E2 levels were roughly double what they should be while your T was in normal range (while you were on finasteride)

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
what kind of sides did you get? your E2 levels were roughly double what they should be while your T was in normal range (while you were on finasteride)
I had to stop as I noticed my left breast growing after some months. While on finasteride I don't think I had sexual problems, however there's been a lack of energy/libido after quitting and still is.