Using topicals after having hair transplant

G

Hi,
Im 28 years old and have had 2 hair transplants (the last in 2000) I am now about a norwood 2A. Ive taken propecia since 1999 and its worked very well stopping all hair loss plus a little regrowth. My question is im thinking about adding minoxidil and folligen therapy spray to my regimen. Im a bit worried about the shedding issue, will these affect my transplanted hairs at all?

Thanks.

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Zimmy.

I had hair transplant's as well. I had work done on the crown only. But then last year I noticed my frontal hair line was thinning allot so I started using folligen and revivogen. I also use it on the crown. The area in the front looks much better as it has filled in. The crown where I had hair transplant looks same which is fine but I was hoping it would thicken up. But im glad it didn't fall out.

Are you happy with your hair transplant results Zimmy?

G

Sal1.
Yes im quite pleased with my hair transplant results, I had work done on the frontal areas. I would like the hair transplant areas to be a bit more dense, which is why I want to try minoxidil and folligen to thicken things up.

Sal1 do you use folligen once or twice a day?

Also has anybody used minoxidil 5% just once a day and had good results with it? As I dont like how my hair is for styling after using it. Was wondering about only using it once a day at night or will it only work with two treatments a day?

shuggyboy

Reaction score
Zimmy

I think applying 2 ml of 5% minoxidil at night will do a similar job i asked this question at another site and a lot use this method of application so go for it, i too like to style my hair so an early morning apllication is no use
Hope this helps

shuggy

sal1

Reaction score
Hi Zimmy.

I'm glad to hear that your pleased with your hair transplant results. I also wish mine was more dense. I thought I'd get more coverage than I did.

I use folligen once daily before I go to bed. Then I use revivogen in morning. Im happy with the difference it has made on my frontal hairline, but was also hoping for it to thicken up the crown as well. We'll see.

How is your donar area scar? Small I hope. I'd love to get mine reduced or hidden better so I can cut my hair shorter in the back. Thats the thing that really got me pissed. They said it would not be visible. It is if I dont leave my hair longer.

Thanks Zimmy.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
zimmy

Where did u get your hair transplant done. I had several done, and end of year tried to do the same as you ie add density by using minoxidil and tricomin. Stuck it for 7 months but did nothing for me. Got a bit of shedding which has come back. You can check out my pics in the photo gallery. Think my follicles were too long gone to stimulate with minoxidil, but propecia seems to be preventing any loss from the crown area. You maybe lucky though zimmy, as at 28 perhaps you havent left it too late for minoxidil.

G

I had both of my hair transplant done at the Nobel Clinic near Gatwick. I chose them mainly because they were the most affordable for me. Having looked at many hairloss sites and forums over the last few months i realise maybe going for the most affordable option with hair transplant is maybe not the best idea, bit late now though! However i have no complaints about Nobel Clinic.

My donor scars are very thin and are not visible at all, my hair is very thick at that area. It may be a diffirent story if i got my hair cut very short.

I may have one further hair transplant in 2003 or 2004, but want to give minoxidil a chance for a year and dutasteride a go when it comes out.

G

Ive been using minoxidil and folligen now for about 4 months and have seen some regrowth on my crown and a little at my hairline.

This may be a stupid question but does having had a transplant affect hairs that were close by the transplanted area, ones that were weak and minutarized. Could having a transplant effectively kill of those hairs?

Im just wondering how much potential there is for regrowth with minoxidil with my real hair in my transplanted areas.

G

IMO, the question may be moot. In my transplants, the density of the transplanted hairs was all I needed for the desired coverage. If new hairs were or were not growing in as a result of the topicals, it was not apparent to the eye.

I still use the topicals in the transplanted area and will continue to do so. But, the question you ask may be academic. Take propecia too.

Brucelee