Using Ru58841 With Vodka 40/60 As Vehicle?

stupidkoko

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying out RU but there's no way I can acquire ethanol as in popular products like Everclear with 95%~ alcohol where I live. Pure Vodka 40% or 60% seems to be the closest I can get.

I know there's the K&B solution but I prefer ethanol for safety and economical reasons.

What is the maximum amount of mg RU that can be dissolved in vodka, or is it even possible to use it as a vehicle?

givemeregrowth

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should try with adding vodka gradually until it disolves complitelly and thats it.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any thoughts on mixing the RU into a stemoxodyne base. I’m considering a trial on RU and was thinking of the Vichy stemox. Pricey but maybe worth it.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested in trying out RU but there's no way I can acquire ethanol as in popular products like Everclear with 95%~ alcohol where I live. Pure Vodka 40% or 60% seems to be the closest I can get.

I know there's the K&B solution but I prefer ethanol for safety and economical reasons.

What is the maximum amount of mg RU that can be dissolved in vodka, or is it even possible to use it as a vehicle?

Vodka would work in principle, and you can dissolve a shitload of RU in it. RU is highly ethanol soluble.

The problem with using a purely ethanol/water vehicle, is that it leaves nothing as residue on your scalp. A bit of the ethanol and water will penetrate your skin, but most of it will just evaporate within 2 minutes of application. Any RU within the ethanol/water that evaporates will then just flake off your skin as white powder on your hair and be useless.

Especially because RU has such a short half life, you need a vehicle which has at least one component that will not evaporate and can stay against your scalp as a reservoir.

The most obvious and typical choice is propylene glycol which is dirt cheap and can be bought anywhere.

The simplest base for RU is just to use some basic over the counter 5% minoxidil (eg. Kirkland brand). But if you can't do that or don't want minoxidil, and can't get 95% ethanol, then another approach would be:

- 10 mL Vodka (= 4 mL ethanol, 6 mL water)
- 6 mL propylene glycol

This creates a mixture of 37.5% propylene glycol, 37.5% water, and 25% ethanol. 25% ethanol will dissolve almost any amount of RU and the PG will at least theoretically perform some of the reservoir function you ideally want.

stupidkoko

Reaction score
Vodka would work in principle, and you can dissolve a shitload of RU in it. RU is highly ethanol soluble.

The problem with using a purely ethanol/water vehicle, is that it leaves nothing as residue on your scalp. A bit of the ethanol and water will penetrate your skin, but most of it will just evaporate within 2 minutes of application. Any RU within the ethanol/water that evaporates will then just flake off your skin as white powder on your hair and be useless.

Especially because RU has such a short half life, you need a vehicle which has at least one component that will not evaporate and can stay against your scalp as a reservoir.

The most obvious and typical choice is propylene glycol which is dirt cheap and can be bought anywhere.

The simplest base for RU is just to use some basic over the counter 5% minoxidil (eg. Kirkland brand). But if you can't do that or don't want minoxidil, and can't get 95% ethanol, then another approach would be:

- 10 mL Vodka (= 4 mL ethanol, 6 mL water)
- 6 mL propylene glycol

This creates a mixture of 37.5% propylene glycol, 37.5% water, and 25% ethanol. 25% ethanol will dissolve almost any amount of RU and the PG will at least theoretically perform some of the reservoir function you ideally want.

Amazing, thanks for the great reply and explanation.
Yes ideally I was thinking of adding propylene glycol, forgot to mention that but you made it very clear with the numbers.
I'm not using minoxidil and won't mix RU with it as I want to see what results I can achieve with RU alone.

stupidkoko

Reaction score
Any thoughts on mixing the RU into a stemoxodyne base. I’m considering a trial on RU and was thinking of the Vichy stemox. Pricey but maybe worth it.

No and I don't intend to. I haven't seen enough evidence of it working and coming from a big company I expect it to be commercialized alot better for any success claimed. I've never seen a post about results on stemoxydine alone. But even if it did work, I wouldn't know what is responsible for any results that I might have.

Last edited: