Using Regaine/Rogaine Foam 5% once a day?

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
So my Regaine Foam 5% arrived today, gotta admit I am still very hesitant about taking it. I have read that there is not a lot proof that twice a day is actually more beneficial, as it's half life is about 22 hours. So I am thinking about just applying 1ml once a day.

I was wondering if anyone on here does the same thing, and has still seen had good results?

I am sure I recall reading on here a few people who had success with this approach.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
So my Regaine Foam 5% arrived today, gotta admit I am still very hesitant about taking it. I have read that there is not a lot proof that twice a day is actually more beneficial, as it's half life is about 22 hours. So I am thinking about just applying 1ml once a day.

I was wondering if anyone on here does the same thing, and has still seen had good results?

I am sure I recall reading on here a few people who had success with this approach.

I have used minoxidil for nearly 16 years ONCE DAILY, and it maintained my hair UNCHANGED. In fact, sometimes I was using the 2% version every other day, and nothing happened. But everybody is different. After my long-term experience with minoxidil, I think that it is only a matter of individual dosage. I am apparently a very good responder and I can't tolerate 10%+ versions. It overstimulates and destroys my hair. It is possible that you will be fine with once-daily application of 5% minoxidil, but it is also possible that you will have to increase the concentration up to, say, 10% to achieve the same success like me. You must experiment with it. Basically, the general advice is to use it twice daily at first, and after you achieve a maximum benefit, you can continue with once-daily application.

It is my personal opinion that you should use the highest minoxidil concentration that you can tolerate. At first glance, this advice may seem irrational, but serious side effects from minoxidil use are rare and high dosage will guarantee you a long-term (basically indefinite) effect without permanent worrying about a new reversal of hair loss.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I use it twice a day at present, but I am considering reducing this to once a day because I am starting to get more wrinkles than I had before. I am pushing 30 to be fair but I can see the wrinkles under my eyes much more now than in the past. They have got better - originally minoxidil caused my under-eyes to be dark and dry, but it started to reduce when I applied less Regaine.

What's the best time to use it once a day? Morning?

P.S. I tried searching the forum for "once a day" and it doesn't work because, apparently, the words are all too common...

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I should add that I always apply 3,5-4 ml at once to cover the whole head normally affected by male pattern baldness. I can't imagine, how someone can cover his scalp with the recommended 1-2 ml dose. Every evening I wash my hair, wait for some time until it is mildly wet, then I apply minoxidil - and the next morning my hair is fine. I don't understand all the complaints about greasiness. I would never apply minoxidil on dry hair - unless I have a short cut.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
I should add that I always apply 3,5-4 ml at once to cover the whole head normally affected by male pattern baldness. I can't imagine, how someone can cover his scalp with the recommended 1-2 ml dose. Every evening I wash my hair, wait for some time until it is mildly wet, then I apply minoxidil - and the next morning my hair is fine. I don't understand all the complaints about greasiness. I would never apply minoxidil on dry hair - unless I have a short cut.
Are you using the foam or the liquid? So you are over applying it, and applying it to a wet scalp? Have you experienced any sides?

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you using the foam or the liquid? So you are over applying it, and applying it to a wet scalp? Have you experienced any sides?

I use the liquid version. And I don't apply it to wet scalp. The scalp is only mildly wet. The hair subsequently isn't greasy the next day.

I don't think that I am "overapplying it". In fact, I think that this "overapplying" may stand behind my long-term success with minoxidil. If you apply only few drops into the scalp, you can't cover it. I don't believe in the theory of dr. Lee that "you don't have to apply it on every square cm of the scalp, because there is enough diffusion". 15 years ago, when I started with anti-hairloss treatments, I applied the topical and then I often unconsciously removed it from the skin during combing. Subsequently I started to observe weird bald grooves and cuts in my hairline - exactly on places, where I usually moved the comb. This really doesn't suggest that "there would be enough diffusion in the scalp". After this experience, I always apply a sufficiently high amount to be 150% sure that I covered the whole scalp.

And as for side effects, I observe nothing serious. Well, in 2008, after I switched to 5% minoxidil, I started to notice more hair on my body. But since I have virtually no body hair, it really constitutes no problem.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
It's good that you have managed to maintain you hair. I have been very close to using Minoxidil, but at the last minute changed my mind. I can't help but think that the long term effects are still uncertain with regards to the heart and blood pressure. I am only 22, I am about a Norwood 2 I would say because my crown is thinning quite badly, which really bothers me. Çan't help but to be a little reluctant to go on something for life, and I figure that even a transplant would be cheaper than say 10-15 years on Minoxidil?