Using Oil To Battle Minoxidil Flakes (dandruff)

YoungGun01

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing the flaking that is a common side effect of liquid minoxidil. From my understanding, it is the propylene glycol ingredient in liquid minoxidil that causes the flaking. Yes, the foam version does not contain propylene glycol and thus, does not cause flaking, however, the foam version is a bit less effective than the liquid, so I'd like to continue using the liquid solution for now.

I've been researching methods to combat the flaking and some people say they have found success by using various oils. I'm curious as to how they are using these oils, because I too apply oils to my scalp but I've had no success in stopping the flakes. About once every 10 days, I will mix approximately 2 table spoons of coconut oil with 5 or 6 drops of lavender oil and rub it into my scalp at night, sleep with it overnight, and wash it out in the morning. I do not apply minoxidil the night I use the oil.

So far this has not helped the flaking go away. So I'm curious what methods are being used by the people who have successfully stopped the flaking? Some people seem to be applying the minoxidil and oil at the same time, or one right after the other. I thought this might have an adverse effect on the absorption of the minoxidil, no?

Any advice or success stories would be appreciated. Thanks!

inmyhead

Reaction score
Why should oil help with flaking? Those flakes are dried PG. It's impossible to deal with it, you just have to wash your head properly and brush the dried PG out

YoungGun01

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why should oil help with flaking? Those flakes are dried PG. It's impossible to deal with it, you just have to wash your head properly and brush the dried PG out

Yeah, I didn't really get how some people were claiming to have stopped the flakes by using oil, because, as you point out, it's just dried PG. I just figured I'd see if there was some puzzle piece I was missing. Can't hurt to ask you know?

YoungGun01

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend switching to foam minoxidil. The dandruff liquid minoxidil gave me was absolutely horrible, no matter how much I tried it always just showed up. On foam the dandruff totally stopped, I know foam is a little more expensive but its 100% worth the extra money, it also dries faster and frizzes hair less.

Yes, I've tried the foam and it is less of a hassle than the liquid solution, but I find that it still leaves my hair with that whitish residue. Instead of big dried PG flakes its like a bunch of dried powder or something, so while it's an improvement, it's still not without its problems. And it's less effective than liquid so I figure I'll mostly stick with liquid, but use the foam when I don't want to be getting those flakes.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Head and shoulders and it worked very well for me!
I wash my hair every morning, not sure if that is good or bad :)

Last edited: