Using minoxidil just once a day?

SDguy

Reaction score
Hey,
Just started using Propecia about 2.4 months ago and Rogain 5% a few weeks ago. I have curly hair and the rogain really makes my hair look like crap, so I'm thinking its not worth doing in the morning for the rest of my life. Has anyone had success using the product just in the evenings? I'm on propecia, Nizoral 3x week T-gel on the off days.

Also, my Doctor said the propecia should stop recession at the temples, can anyone confirm that? I know the propecia website said there were no conclusive studies....

Cheers!

Petchsky

Reaction score
Propecia can stop receeding yes, but whether it will stop your receeding is dependent on how well it works for you.

minoxidil is not as effective 1x a day but still can yield results...plus its more managable.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
well, according to Dr. Lee, he said the minoxidil trials were done with a twice a day application, and they showed growth.

that does not necessarily mean that once a day works less, just that the test was done with 2 times a day and showed results. The tests also used T Gel Shampoo, but that does not necessarily mean you have to use T Gel to get results.

probably once a day would result in less effects, but i don't know if there are any studies of using it only once a day and then comparing the results to twice a day.

Getting there

Reaction score
I know what you mean and I've often felt like stopping for the morning one too.

However I've learnt to avoid getting the minoxidil on the hair using a cotton bud directly on the scalp. The hair is still brittle, but not so bad. So once it's dry (usually after I've had breakfast and dressed) I go back and use spray-in conditioner, and comb through to soften the hair. I can then style it with gum and wax and the hair remains shiney.

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if u have busy schedule like me i have to use minoxidil once a day because i just cant put this stuff on my hair before school and after school i just put it at like 5 and it has to absorb 7 hours so if i get chance i put one ml before bed

johnnie69

Reaction score
What do you mean by applying with a cottom swab? And what spray in conditioner are you referring to?

Getting there

Reaction score
I measure 1ml of minoxidil into a small medicine cup, then dip a cotton bud and apply directly to my scalp. For me it has minimised wasting the minoxidil on the hair shalfs which is what happened when I just used a dropper. I can part my hair to reveal scalp and apply along the parted line, then re-part my hair and so on... until I've made my way from one side to the other. It means I'm only using the 1ml required and ensuring it gets directly on the scalp, which is where it needs to be absorbed.

As for spray-in conditioner, I use Pantene Pro-V light spray leave in conditioner. Bought it at a supermarket.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
But won't you be wasting some minoxidil on the cotton bud?

Getting there

Reaction score
The cotton does absorb minoxidil but I use small buds. I wasted more minoxidil using a dropper because too much would come out as I dragged it along the scalp, leading me to use more than the 1ml. Plus my hair would be soaked in minoxidil too, which is also wasteful because it needs to be on the scalp, not the hair shafts.

I found that the cotton bud minimised wastage, enabled more control, and didn't soak into the hair (meaning it didn't look like crap for the rest of the day).

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
i use it once a day on weekdays and twice on weekends. makes it more convenient for me..i don't reccomend using it once a day after the first year though. get the most you can by applying it twice the first year. after just maintain it . but applying it once a day seems to do better than adding it twice from what i've seen..