Using Minoxidil... Is this shedding?

omgmanwtf

Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil for almost a month now and my hair has gotten thinner. I've been losing a lot of hair but the only time I lose hair is when I'm applying shampoo and conditioner. After applying shampoo I'll see about 10+ hair on my hands. The same goes for conditioning. I don't see any hair on my pillow when I wake up nor do I lose any hair when I'm combing. I also don't see any hair when I grab a handful of my hair. The only signs of hair falling out is when I'm applying shampoo. I've read a few threads and I'm not sure if this is shedding or not. I've always noticed that my hairline would lose hair every now then but now that I started applying minoxidil to both my hairline and the back of my head, not just the hairline but the back of my hair is losing hair too. So in conclusion, my "shedding" is strictly only when I'm shampooing my hair. Tell me this is just a normal shed.

DrDog

Reaction score
This is normal. Don't worry.

It's often the case that during a shed, or at any point (still for me after 1 year), you lose the most hair when you shampoo. The first 3 months of minoxidil/finasteride is always shed, but fear not! Those same hairs falling out will regrow thicker, and perhaps even some new hairs will grow too.