Using minoxidil Before A Hair Transplant/during?

Nick1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wondering, im assuming doing the above is bad? As it might affect the transplanted hairs.

And only finasteride is good during a hair transplant or leading up to it.

Thinking of getting on minoxidil but no point if Il be getting a transplant..

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil is anyway required to save your hairs, though you go for hair transplant or not.

Minoxidil works better in prevention and prolongs the life of hair. Its action does not stop the hair loss, it just prolongs it.

Also, Minoxidil + Finasteride with evidence based treatments like PRP, Mesotherapy yield better results.

Here is my article on Minoxidil and how it works in hair growth in hair loss

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
dr do you think that minoxidil can worsen hairloss? can make healthy hair ( non affected by DHT)dependant?
Because there was a study done by vera price on minoxidil which showed that after discontinuation the minoxidil users fell below placebo in term of haircount and hairweight .

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you please share the study. There are number of studies claiming n number of things about various products.
Before relying on any study we need to check the authenticity of the source which proposes this.
After this I will be able to share my views on this.

Thanks!

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello @michel sapin

It took me a bit long to reply you. I was around, but busy with another stuff. So couldn't read your paper.

So, Here is my view on the study you shared. As per me, the study is correct, you must have observed that this study was conducted in pattern

baldness patients i.e. androgenetic hair loss which is a continuous process and it cant be stopped by any other mean but can be postponed with the help of drugs like minoxidil.

Once the drug is stopped this pattern baldness is going to resume its own course and you may see the worsened effect.

But one more thing is there to notice that in this study they have taken subjects who were only on minoxidil which condition will definitely worsen

the baldness after the stoppage of the drug as minoxidil only fights with the one cause of androgenetic hair loss but not all. So if the patient is on

minoxidil along with finasteride and other supplements like biotin and then period evidence-based medicines like PRP and Mesotherapy, LLLT,

derma roller. The effect of stopping minoxidil may not be as worst as shown in the study, as this combination therapy try to stop all possible

causes of hair loss.

I hope, I helped you. If you need anything, then let me know, I will happy to help you. Thanks!

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for your answer @dr dhananjay
I have also another famous olsen study about minoxidil ,which clearly shows that minoxidil users fall below placebo user after stopping the medication .
Below the placebo group .
I totally understand that when you use minoxidil , it doesnt act on DHT , so your baldness keep advancing , it only produce more haircount for a while . and that would be totaly normal to fall below baseline
But this study clearly show that when you stop you are worse than those who take no medication, it produces a drastic decrease in both haircount and hairweight .
maybe this explains the " minoxidil dependant hair " fact that who can see on various forum .