Using Finasteride Whilst Trying To Conceive

canadiankid03

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum so hoping you can help as i was seeking guidance and advice.

I have been using Finasteride for 6-7 years now with success and managed good stabilisation of my hair. I get this from the Belgravia centre in London.

My partner and i wish to start trying for a baby, however Belgravia have suggested I stop using Finasteride. From doing some research there seems to be little to no proof this effects the foetus if conceived whilst taking Finasteride. Has anyone on here had a similar situation in their journey at all, or even managed to conceive whilst taking this? The thought of stopping Finasteride as made me very anxious. Belgravia have suggested switching to Minoxidil 12.5% cream but i dont think it will be as effective

Thanks in advance

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum so hoping you can help as i was seeking guidance and advice.

I have been using Finasteride for 6-7 years now with success and managed good stabilisation of my hair. I get this from the Belgravia centre in London.

My partner and i wish to start trying for a baby, however Belgravia have suggested I stop using Finasteride. From doing some research there seems to be little to no proof this effects the foetus if conceived whilst taking Finasteride. Has anyone on here had a similar situation in their journey at all, or even managed to conceive whilst taking this? The thought of stopping Finasteride as made me very anxious. Belgravia have suggested switching to Minoxidil 12.5% cream but i dont think it will be as effective

Thanks in advance

Hi @canadiankid03 ,

I recently went through this. We were planning to start trying for a baby later this year. Back in March we found out we were pregnant. I'm hoping everything will be okay. I was hoping to stop finasteride and use a topical while trying to conceive but obviously that ship has sailed. The good news is that we managed to do it while on finasteride so it didn't seem to inhibit conception. I read this on Bernstein Medical website:

"Fertility
Finasteride may decrease fertility in some men. The effects may be due to changes in the composition of ejaculate and/or a reduction in sperm count. The effects appear to be reversible on discontinuing the medication.
Caution During Pregnancy
Women should not handle crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets when they are pregnant, or may potentially be pregnant, because of the possibilities of absorption of finasteride and the subsequent potential risk to a male fetus. PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets have not been broken or crushed. Exposure of pregnant women to semen from men treated with PROPECIA has not been shown to pose any risk to the fetus."

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/propecia-finasteride/info-sheet/

I'm hoping they are correct that the act of conceiving while on finasteride will not harm the baby.

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for almost a decade and have a happy, healthy, normal 3 year old daughter
You ever heard of exceptions to rules?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@canadiankid03 What I would be careful of is the Belgravia centres topicals as I believe they put dht inhibiting chemicals within them, crushed finasteride or something along those lines.

With topicals it’s very easy for your wife to get exponsure to them which would be harmful to the baby, e.g bed pillows.

I may be wrong but look into what they contain if you’re taking any topicals from belgravia.

Goodluck with the pregnancy.

TheHawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d eat a ton (80 mg daily with a myrosinase booster) of broccoli sprouts. Radically degrades serum dht and activates the anagen stage.

Sulforaphane is amazing for a lot of things.

Drextez

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @canadiankid03 ,

I recently went through this. We were planning to start trying for a baby later this year. Back in March we found out we were pregnant. I'm hoping everything will be okay. I was hoping to stop finasteride and use a topical while trying to conceive but obviously that ship has sailed. The good news is that we managed to do it while on finasteride so it didn't seem to inhibit conception. I read this on Bernstein Medical website:

"Fertility
Finasteride may decrease fertility in some men. The effects may be due to changes in the composition of ejaculate and/or a reduction in sperm count. The effects appear to be reversible on discontinuing the medication.
Caution During Pregnancy
Women should not handle crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets when they are pregnant, or may potentially be pregnant, because of the possibilities of absorption of finasteride and the subsequent potential risk to a male fetus. PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets have not been broken or crushed. Exposure of pregnant women to semen from men treated with PROPECIA has not been shown to pose any risk to the fetus."

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/propecia-finasteride/info-sheet/

I'm hoping they are correct that the act of conceiving while on finasteride will not harm the baby.

any updates about the pregnancy?

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update on this: We had a baby girl end of last year. No problems. I was worried too prior to conception. It seems that the main risk is really that you would have low sperm count rather than it affecting the baby in any way. According to Bernstein medical there's no risk to the baby.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update on this: We had a baby girl end of last year. No problems. I was worried too prior to conception. It seems that the main risk is really that you would have low sperm count rather than it affecting the baby in any way. According to Bernstein medical there's no risk to the baby.
The risk more often occurs if you are expecing a male baby hence the importance of DHT in the womb and during development. As someone who is probably going to get on finasteride and hopefully a future father myself, I am extremely happy for your family that everything went smoothly. I wish you a happy, healthy and long life with your family and children. Have a good day :)