Using 5% minoxidil for a month...should I add Finasteride?

leduder83

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

26 Male here who just started using 5% Monoxidil for almost a month now. Went to a Dermatologist that suggested I use Rogaine. I asked him if I should use propecia but he made it seem like that was for serious conditions and he'd have to do a scalp test/sample aka taking a chunk of my scalp to diagnose for Alopecia.

In any case, since I am relatively young, I don't think he took my concerns TOO seriously? Who knows, but based all the posts here - using Finasteride is a pretty common.

I've been going through the shedding process and it's a bit frightening despite everyone saying to just stick it through. Having thinning hair PLUS shedding hair will make me practically go bald, so I'm wondering if I should go see my doctor to combine my treatment of 5% Monoxidil with propecia.

I'm also hearing about the big 3 which includes Nizoral Shampoo.

My big concern is that i'm still experience shedding at week 4 and worried that shedding could be for another 1,2,3 more months? Is there a point where I should be concerned and realize "ok, this is probably not working"?

Would love any insight from people who have personal experiences with using all 3 or just users who only used 5% Monoxidil and went through the shedding experience.

MUCH APPRECIATED. I'm reading countless posts and it's a great community here.

**to elaborate on the shedding - hairs are falling out EASILY when running fingers through my hair. Washing hair in the mornings - many hairs are falling out.

Seeing so much hair 'falling' out when running fingers through hair is probably the most disconcerting issue...

Le Dude

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep your regimen ! And yes,you should deffinitely add finasteride NOAW ! Remember,shedding doesnt mean you are loosing hair ! Shedding means that the treatment is working,trust me.just keep your regiment and keep us posted.
And WHAT?! Serious condition..that's INSANE ! So what? Just wait it to become SERIOUS,when you are NW2 or may be 3,then start propecia? BULLSHIT ! Start it now,and maintain that hair you have now !!!!

My post might be very stupid for some people,but i will say it..i will say that i think..for example i live in Bulgaria,so when i went to dermatologist,and told her the problem..she said that this is hairloss and that's all,nothing you can do about it..and when i asked her,does she know about minoxidil...finasteride?Nizoral? Well the answer was very funny..she told me that i am too young (means stupid to believe forums for fake meds like finasteride and minoxidil just because she didn't know about that)and..she told me that Nizoral doesnt help even a little to hairloss,if it was helping the whole world wouldn't be bald...so that's for me AN IDIOT DOCTOR ! :bravo:

leduder83

Reaction score
Yeah - the dermatologist was not that concerned since I am relatively young. Would I need to see another doctor to get a prescription?

Is it hard to put on topical minoxidil twice a day AND take a pill for the rest of your life? That's my biggest concern. it's already an adjustment to apply it twice a day.

What's the point of using finasteride if I am already using minoxidil?

Def. appreciate the response and the words of encouragement! It sucks to have thinning hair at such a young age and really take having a healthy head of hair for granted.... :(

Lead Farmer

Established Member
Reaction score
leduder83 said:
Yeah - the dermatologist was not that concerned since I am relatively young. Would I need to see another doctor to get a prescription?

Is it hard to put on topical minoxidil twice a day AND take a pill for the rest of your life? That's my biggest concern. it's already an adjustment to apply it twice a day.

What's the point of using finasteride if I am already using minoxidil?

Def. appreciate the response and the words of encouragement! It sucks to have thinning hair at such a young age and really take having a healthy head of hair for granted.... :(
I'm also young and have decided to treat my hair loss early on but it hasn't deterred me from jumping on the big 3 straight away. Prevention is the cure as they say. If you wait until it's noticeable to incorporate everything you are trying to reverse what could have prevented in the first place.

Honestly the adjustment for me has been for the minoxidil and the minoxidil alone (oh and keeping shampoo/conditioner in my hair for longer than 15 seconds :laugh:). Taking a tiny pill once a day isn't an inconvenience in the slightest and I would be happy to do this alone for the rest of my life.

As far as the point of using both, minoxidil is only a growth stimulant. It will likely grow new hair but it won't stop or slow your hair loss significantly. Finasteride on the other hand will, and there is also a good chance of regrowth with it in addition to the growth you get with minoxidil.

As far as the shedding goes I feel your pain. I am right in the middle of a huge shed right now and my hair is far worse than when I started, but I know with some patience it will return and it will return healthier and thicker. Stick with it and definitely get some finasteride and ketoconazole (nizoral shampoo) ASAP.

Stay optimistic also, remind yourself that shedding means the treatment is working and that results don't happen overnight.

Best of luck my friend!

stoja

Established Member
Reaction score
after a couple of years of minoxidil you can cut down the treatment to only once a day and maintain results.

and taking a pill for the rest of your life is too hard? same as brushing your teeth or taking a multivitamin. just get into the routine and habit of doing it and you wont even notice it!

all the best