Urgent: Removing Ghostbond Xl From French Lace System

funkymunky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just removed my French Lace system to re-shave my head and re-apply. I am having trouble removing the residue of adhesive from the lace and don't know what to do. I previously had a Swiss Lace system and was using Gostbond Supreme, and Walkers C22 Lace Release removed it just fine. However, with my French Lace system and this time using Ghostbond XL, the adhesive seems to have penetrated through the lace and the C22 is not dissolving it sufficiently to actually remove it. I have a large bottle of high purity rubbing alcohol, but I don't know if that would be safe to use on the system to dissolve the glue.

I'd really appreciate some advice as soon as possible as I can't re-apply at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Funkymunky

Ordinarily the best thing for removing glue is 99% isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is normally about 75%, so it is not as effective. You should be able to get 99% from a pharmacy or DIY/hardware store in most countries. Pour some into a flat dish and immerse the base of your piece in it, keeping the hair out as much as you can. Soak for 15 - 30 minutes, then shampoo, and the glue should wash out.

If it doesn't, it means you have kept the unit on too long, and the glue has broken down and mixed with your body oils and become grungy. If that has happened, the only remedy is a naphtha-based tar remover like Autoglym, which you can get from car parts dealers or off the Internet. Lighter fuel does the same job. That will get the unit 100% clean, but you need to detach for maintenance more frequently in future.

Noah

funkymunky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Funkymunky

Ordinarily the best thing for removing glue is 99% isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is normally about 75%, so it is not as effective. You should be able to get 99% from a pharmacy or DIY/hardware store in most countries. Pour some into a flat dish and immerse the base of your piece in it, keeping the hair out as much as you can. Soak for 15 - 30 minutes, then shampoo, and the glue should wash out.

If it doesn't, it means you have kept the unit on too long, and the glue has broken down and mixed with your body oils and become grungy. If that has happened, the only remedy is a naphtha-based tar remover like Autoglym, which you can get from car parts dealers or off the Internet. Lighter fuel does the same job. That will get the unit 100% clean, but you need to detach for maintenance more frequently in future.

Noah

Hi Noah,

That's great information thank you! Well I did my best to get it off and kind of attacked the lace with washing up liquid and an old toothbrush :/ It held up though and I'm glad I now know what I should use. Can I ask how long is too long for leaving a system on? I've had the system on for just over a week, I'm thinking the Ghostbond XL just wouldn't break down with C22 Spray. Any thoughts?

Many thanks
Ant

Noah

Reaction score
Cool; glad you got if fixed. The glue shouldnt have leaked through the mesh after just a week. Could it be that you applied the piece onto the glue before the glue was dry? The glue should always be dry but tacky when you apply the piece onto it - the same consistency as the gum on the back of a Post-It note.

I would say for most guys a week to 10 days is the optimum time between maintenance. Personally I do it every week, because I find the clean-up is easiest if the adhesive is still reasonably fresh when I take it off.

Noah

funkymunky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool; glad you got if fixed. The glue shouldnt have leaked through the mesh after just a week. Could it be that you applied the piece onto the glue before the glue was dry? The glue should always be dry but tacky when you apply the piece onto it - the same consistency as the gum on the back of a Post-It note.

I would say for most guys a week to 10 days is the optimum time between maintenance. Personally I do it every week, because I find the clean-up is easiest if the adhesive is still reasonably fresh when I take it off.

Noah

Hi again Noah,

Again great info thank you!
The glue was left to dry (turning from white to completely clear) and the system was on for under 10 days. I'm thinking I was just using the wrong stuff. Stupidly what it says on the bottle maybe?!? Lace release... the C22 released the lace from my head but didn't release the glue from the lace. I thought it did so went through half a bottle trying! I think I've got it now. I will do what you have recommended and use the 99% isopropyl alcohol, thank you .

So following another tip I have now stuck my system on using tape around the sides and back and just used the ghostbond on the front hairline. Hopefully this will be an easier clean up! Saying that.....when some tape stuck to the wrong place and I pulled it off the lace loads of hair pulled through the lace to the reverse side Hopefully that won't happen on my next clean up.

Thanks again for all your advice, it's a bit of a minefield when you first start doing this but I'm sure I will get there.
Ant

Fanjeera

Reaction score

Noah
Isn't scalp cleanup difficult then? I think it's either if you leave it on for too long, it's difficult to cleane the base or if you leave it on for too short, it's all sticked to the scalp strongly and very difficult to remove from there.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hi Funkymunky

Noah
It looks like I can't even get Ghostbond off with Autoglym. The last option is acetone I've read. Haven't still tried it.