Upping Topical Minoxidil from 5% or Switching Brands After 10+ Years

stanlevick22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Long time reader, never have posted. Lots of great info and experiences here over the years. Thanks everyone for that.

Roughly 10 years ago I took a bodybuilding supplement, ironically to stay away from steroids and the side effects, however the side effects from the Andro based OTC 'drug' destroyed what was my otherwise very thick head of hair. Big mistake and certainly a rough emotional recovery although I was able to recover some through the standard doses and regiment of the big 3. Down the road and now at 45, I am seeing natural hair loss plus what I believe is tolerance to the minoxidil and finasteride. My loss is oddly at the top of my head and slightly forward - not in the back or in my hairline. Basically, damage done by the side effects of andro:/

I've tried a few different topicals over the years in addition to the standard regiment, but haven't had much luck (or plenty of disaster.). RU and other research topicals have given me chest pain and palpitations. (I also have mild heart disease and being too adventurous there just isn't in the cards for me.) Adjusting my finasteride has been a no go. Jumping from 1.25mg to 1.75mg for a year seemed to expedite my hair loss, even after the initial shed. Hopping back down to 1.25mg put me back in a better place.

Other stuff I've tried with mixed results:
-Custom compound pharmacy made minoxidil (all 5%)
-Every laser cap known to man - Six+ months in, just wasn't doing much.
-RU58841 - Chest Pain
-CB-03-01- Chest Pain
-Dermarollers and Dermapens of all kinds (with and without added minoxidil) - No real improvement and painful AF

I currently (and religiously) use the standard formula of Lipogaine (5% minoxidil) and have been toying with the idea of switching to another brand that offers a higher dose of minoxidil after so many years of the same concentration.

My question is - has anyone here around the same age and length of minoxidil use had any luck switching to a higher topical concentration of minoxidil? Beyond what surgical means, I'm not sure what path to take next, if there is one. I've not yet tried any of the 7+% minoxidil solutions out on the market. Has anyone been able to avoid a major shed by stepping up gradually?

Thanks in advance and much appreciated on any advice.

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Long time reader, never have posted. Lots of great info and experiences here over the years. Thanks everyone for that.

Roughly 10 years ago I took a bodybuilding supplement, ironically to stay away from steroids and the side effects, however the side effects from the Andro based OTC 'drug' destroyed what was my otherwise very thick head of hair. Big mistake and certainly a rough emotional recovery although I was able to recover some through the standard doses and regiment of the big 3. Down the road and now at 45, I am seeing natural hair loss plus what I believe is tolerance to the minoxidil and finasteride. My loss is oddly at the top of my head and slightly forward - not in the back or in my hairline. Basically, damage done by the side effects of andro:/

I've tried a few different topicals over the years in addition to the standard regiment, but haven't had much luck (or plenty of disaster.). RU and other research topicals have given me chest pain and palpitations. (I also have mild heart disease and being too adventurous there just isn't in the cards for me.) Adjusting my finasteride has been a no go. Jumping from 1.25mg to 1.75mg for a year seemed to expedite my hair loss, even after the initial shed. Hopping back down to 1.25mg put me back in a better place.

-RU58841 - Chest Pain
-CB-03-01- Chest Pain
-Dermarollers and Dermapens of all kinds (with and without added minoxidil) - No real improvement and painful AF

I currently (and religiously) use the standard formula of Lipogaine (5% minoxidil) and have been toying with the idea of switching to another brand that offers a higher dose of minoxidil after so many years of the same concentration.

My question is - has anyone here around the same age and length of minoxidil use had any luck switching to a higher topical concentration of minoxidil? Beyond what surgical means, I'm not sure what path to take next, if there is one. I've not yet tried any of the 7+% minoxidil solutions out on the market. Has anyone been able to avoid a major shed by stepping up gradually?

Did you lose more hair when your increased your finasteride

stanlevick22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you lose more hair when your increased your finasteride
I feel like I did, yeah. Like it progressed beyond the shed. I held on for a year but was losing ground far more quickly than over the last several. When I lowered the dose, I feel like things stabilized. I'd seen a thread or two here on the finasteride having an undesired effect but that just seemed so unlikely. Then again, I triggered this issue on my own. I would have likely never seen any significant hair loss without the unfortunate andro incident. Baldness does not really run in my family and when it it does, it's very rare (on all sides.)

I should also note that increasing my dose there did seemingly put me in a fog for awhile. My already awful short term memory was getting worse and I feel like propecia has had an impact on my memory in the long term.

Last edited:

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried avodart? I was on finasteride and then it stop working. I then switch to avodart

stanlevick22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried avodart? I was on finasteride and then it stop working. I then switch to avodart
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not. After reading so many stories about destroyed hair lines and other sides I opted not to go that route. My doctor also persuaded me to stay away on that one although I have a feeling had I started there, I probably would have done better in the long haul.

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not. After reading so many stories about destroyed hair lines and other sides I opted not to go that route. My doctor also persuaded me to stay away on that one although I have a feeling had I started there, I probably would have done better in the long haul.
Did your dr suggest you stay away and I have had pretty decent success myself

Fontaine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no way dutasteride is worse than finasteride for hairline apart from the minority. The rest will get a better result

stanlevick22

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no way dutasteride is worse than finasteride for hairline apart from the minority. The rest will get a better result
Thanks for the advice there. I’ll take a second look.

Has anyone here had any luck switching to a higher topical concentration of minoxidil?

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on 10% minoxidil with retinoic acid once every other day for awhile and could swear I was starting to see decent improvement at 6 months. I stopped using it at four months because it was too expensive and switched to Kirkland foam. I don’t think Kirkland foam 5% could compete because my hair stopped improving and got thinner. I have been back on the 10% now for about a month and one week and think I’m having a shed.

I think increasing the dose would help and using retinoic acid would probably help even more.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice there. I’ll take a second look.

Has anyone here had any luck switching to a higher topical concentration of minoxidil?

Yes I've had more success using some of those products. Unfortunately the products I used are no longer commercially available. If you opt for a 5% minoxidil solution make sure it has retinoic acid. And if you find higher concentrations of minoxidil make sure it's not in a cream vehicle.

Btw what vehicle were you using for CB?

stanlevick22

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on 10% minoxidil with retinoic acid once every other day for awhile and could swear I was starting to see decent improvement at 6 months. I stopped using it at four months because it was too expensive and switched to Kirkland foam. I don’t think Kirkland foam 5% could compete because my hair stopped improving and got thinner. I have been back on the 10% now for about a month and one week and think I’m having a shed.

I think increasing the dose would help and using retinoic acid would probably help even more.
Thanks, this is helpful. Would 10% at night and 5% in the AM reduce a shed or not so much?

I'm taking a look at a few of the formulas offered online. I see there's a bunch to choose from (ok or not ok to mention vendors here?) 10% minoxidil once daily with 1.5mg of finasteride sounds way better than the yellow greasy stuff I'm using now. Also taking a second look at dutasteride and might try a weekend regiment of .5mg down the line. Appreciated on that advice above, for sure, but I have had some sides with finasteride (after 10 or so years, I can tell that I have very minor gyno plus my test levels have been low at the lab - not too low but enough to see someone over it. Yet to do - thanks, COVID.)

I see part of your regiment is cetirizine - any good or bad things to say there?

Yes I've had more success using some of those products. Unfortunately the products I used are no longer commercially available. If you opt for a 5% minoxidil solution make sure it has retinoic acid. And if you find higher concentrations of minoxidil make sure it's not in a cream vehicle.

Btw what vehicle were you using for CB?
Why is the retinoic acid important and does it matter so much on using a quick dry vs a heavier vehicle?

I purchased some CB-03-01 from Kane back in 2019. Both the CB and the RU gave me chest pain which I found to be intolerable. I was also born with a heart valve issue and wasn't willing to stick it out even though I read good things from those who did.

Thanks again for the info:)

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
i did switch from 5% to 7% with retinoic acid and it didnt do any difference...
i did have some regrowth from kirkland, but it gave me insane rashes on my complete scalp, thats why i first switched brands and then concentrations...
also tried dermarolling for a year, also didnt do sh*t...
now i cut back minoxidil to once a day and it also didnt make any difference (didnt get worse)...

next is oral min, still waiting for my order and dutasteride every day (now in finasteride every day and dutasteride every third, for nearly a year now)...

i would actually say try a different brand and higher concentration, preferably one with different ingredients (like retinoic) in it... cant hurt, or at least it didnt get worse in my case... or use normal minoxidil and add something like adenosine (which in my case seems to make it a bit better, at least hair qualitu)...

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, this is helpful. Would 10% at night and 5% in the AM reduce a shed or not so much?

I'm taking a look at a few of the formulas offered online. I see there's a bunch to choose from (ok or not ok to mention vendors here?) 10% minoxidil once daily with 1.5mg of finasteride sounds way better than the yellow greasy stuff I'm using now. Also taking a second look at dutasteride and might try a weekend regiment of .5mg down the line. Appreciated on that advice above, for sure, but I have had some sides with finasteride (after 10 or so years, I can tell that I have very minor gyno plus my test levels have been low at the lab - not too low but enough to see someone over it. Yet to do - thanks, COVID.)

I see part of your regiment is cetirizine - any good or bad things to say there?

Why is the retinoic acid important and does it matter so much on using a quick dry vs a heavier vehicle?

I purchased some CB-03-01 from Kane back in 2019. Both the CB and the RU gave me chest pain which I found to be intolerable. I was also born with a heart valve issue and wasn't willing to stick it out even though I read good things from those who did.

Thanks again for the info:)

I think when you increase minoxidil percentage there will always be some shedding. At least I hope so otherwise I’m in more trouble.

If you find a good vender that sells compounded minoxidil and get good results It would help others if you let them know.

Cetrizine is just something that is supposed to help pgd2. I don’t know if it makes that great of a difference at decreasing pgd2/inflammation but it comes in my compounded minoxidil so we will see

DrHerway

My Regimen
Reaction score

-RU58841 - Chest Pain
-CB-03-01- Chest Pain

We routinely bump patients up to higher concentration minoxidil solutions and see great success with it. Usually 10-15% depending on the patient and situation. Usually require that they have been on 5% solutions for at least 6 months prior to increasing the dose.

DrHerway

My Regimen
Reaction score
I should add that you need to find a doctor that is using a licensed compounding pharmacy that is licensed in your state. Any solution with a concentration above 5% is a specialty compounded formula and therefore has to be compounded by a licensed pharmacy with a physicians prescription. Any one online that is dispensing such medications without a prescription and without using a licensed pharmacy is in violation of FDA regulations and therefore I would not trust whatever solution they are peddling.

stanlevick22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just for the sake of follow up, wanted to post back that over the course of a year and a half, uppiung my minoxidil from 5 to 10%, plus adding RU has done little to improve or slow my hair loss. I made the jump to dutasteride about six months ago and have noticed increased thinning, however likely just to be a shed. Only taking .5mg twice a week, although thinking of adding a third dose as I haven't noticed any sides. Maybe a little depression in the first couple of months, but hard to gauge. Will post back in another six.