Upping from .5mg to 1mg

goodguy

Reaction score
Hey guys..

I'm 20 years old, and when i first started my treatments, i had an extremely thick head of hair.. however since i started minoxidil (i was 18) i went through a horrible shed and i panicked and began to stop using it for weeks at a time, so obviously my problem is all my fault.
Since then i've seemed to acquire thinning in the sides and near the nape of my hair and in order to stop this, i started to take .5mg of propecia. I've still got enough hair for noone to ever have mentioned it, but if you know how much hair you once had, it's always going to be painful to have less. it's been 14 months since i've been on .5mg propecia, and my scalp is still red and i get spots and a painful scalp, i just wondered if taking the full dose would be any more effective than what i'm on now?

Any reply is appreciated, and i apologise for the clustered feel of my post.

thanks guys x

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
1mg per day is the dose that Merck recommends. too much less than that and it might not be suppressing enough DHT to make a difference

blondguy

Reaction score
I take 1MG a day and have been since last Feb. and have had absolutely no side effects to the drug. Its also true that everyone is different. I think with finasteride. you are less likely to experience side effects. But a good rule of thumb for medications (especially ones like these that mostly have temporary side effects) is just start taking it, and if you start having problems with the drug, stop!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a slight difference between 0.5mg and 1mg, not that much, but maybe enough to warrant moving to the recommended dose. I was on 0.5mg for about 7 and half months, noticed some thicken around the 3-3 and half month mark, then around 6 months I started shedding again. I'm 9 and half months altogether on finasteride and nizoral.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I was on .5mg a day for about 3 years, then bumped it to 1.25mg a day. I noticed extra growth in the crown after bumping it to 1.25, to the point where I don't need to do a "mini combover" on the very back of my crown anymore :)