UPDATE since quitting finasteride

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its been 6 weeks since I quit my finasteride dosage (.6mg/day) and I can say that I havent had any excess shedding.

I'm using topical spironolactone once a night and substituting prox-n for minoxidil around 3nights/week. I'm also taking 160mg SP in the mornings. I'm not experiencing any new regrowth or thickening, but my hair is maintaining. This is good enough for me.

I really dont mind having to use topicals forever. I've pretty much incorporated applying minoxidil to my morning styling routine. It actually adds body to my hair. Occasionally, when I dont use it after my morning shower, my hair doesnt have as much body.

I'm thinking of adding a retin-a formula (dr. lee) to my morning app when the prox-n runs out.

I may also add some Folligen to get some extra stimulation and DHT inhibition.

I'll keep you guys posted

later

PS My sex drive and erections have stabilized. I got a nice boost after quitting finasteride and now everything seems to be "normal" as in good but not decreased like on finast.. later

HomerJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the update...why did you quit finasteride? Bad side effects? And how long were you on finasteride before you quit...

Thanks

G

VoRteX said:
Well its been 6 weeks since I quit my finasteride dosage (.6mg/day) and I can say that I havent had any excess shedding.

I'm using topical spironolactone once a night and substituting prox-n for minoxidil around 3nights/week. I'm also taking 160mg SP in the mornings. I'm not experiencing any new regrowth or thickening, but my hair is maintaining. This is good enough for me.

I really dont mind having to use topicals forever. I've pretty much incorporated applying minoxidil to my morning styling routine. It actually adds body to my hair. Occasionally, when I dont use it after my morning shower, my hair doesnt have as much body.

I'm thinking of adding a retin-a formula (dr. lee) to my morning app when the prox-n runs out.

I may also add some Folligen to get some extra stimulation and DHT inhibition.

I'll keep you guys posted

later

PS My sex drive and erections have stabilized. I got a nice boost after quitting finasteride and now everything seems to be "normal" as in good but not decreased like on finast.. later

Votex--I would def. add the folligen. Good luck buddy!

G

Great to hear! Please keep us updated, a lot of us are interested in getting off of systemics now or eventually.

I'll be watching you and Funkster :)

Stingray

Reaction score
I recently went off the pink sh*t too... not intentionally, but I've noticed that my sex drive is through the roof again. Something that is both good AND bad. Too early to tell if it's causing my hair to thin again, and I'm also still on saw palmetto. But I'll keep ya'all posted too. I'll be starting again in 4 weeks when my fincar comes from http://www.generic-waytoolongwebaddress ... online.com or whatever.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update...why did you quit finasteride? Bad side effects? And how long were you on finasteride before you quit...

Thanks

I was on finasteride .6mg/day for around 7months. I quit finasteride mainly for my own piece of mind. I wasnt having any "pronounced" side effects but just generally felt like taking an internal hormonal modulator wasn't for me due to my assertion I probably have intrinsically low DHT levels and I'm prone to gyno(just genetic fat storage, not side effects) I can say without a doubt my sex drive and the hardness of my erections has improved since going off finasteride. While I was on finasteride, I would have said my sex drive was probably "normal or slightly below normal" but after discontinuing it, I realized the suppression effect was significant.

Sex drive or libido is very difficult to quantify. My best description is that my enjoyment of sex increased markedly and the quality of my erections also improved within 2-3 weeks of quitting finasteride. Yes, you can say I am imagining this but in all honesty I experienced these effects. In fact, I wasnt even expecting a change and had pretty much forgotten about quitting finasteride when the improvements ocurred.

later.

Redbone

Reaction score
Some may say it is bullshit, but I noticed a differance when I started taking large quantities of Saw Palmetto. Don't know if it helped my hair but it slowed down my libido and made my jiz loads much smaller. For a period of time I had a lower sex drive to. It was like they say when starting Fina. For the first two weeks I was very horny and much stronger at the gym then I got lathargic. I recently started poping Arginine and my ding dong is harder and shoots Peter North loads again.

I think SW really does regulate hormones and is not BS.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
You're right Vortex, sex drive IS hard to quantify. I wasn't even aware how bad things were until I started having sex again. I'll never forgive myself for not getting off of finasteride sooner. I was one of those people who didn't even care about side effects, and now I'm paying the price.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
VoRteX said:
How is the Arimidex going mchair?

I've been on Arimidex a little over a week (.5 mg a day). I'm also using Androderm patches (for the last 3 or 4 days). My erections are much better, and my ejaculate often shoots now instead of oozing out like before. Libido is still sub-par.

This seems to be a good combo. Although I don't want to rely on exogenous testosterone. I'm going to try stimulating endogenous testosterone production with something like Clomid or HCG. I have an appointment with the famous Dr. Eugene Shippen of The Testosterone Syndrome fame on Nov. 5.

Once I beat this, I'm going to be a topical guy like you Vortex. But for now, male pattern baldness takes a back seat to my sexual dysfunction. I was having good results with Xandrox and spironolactone. I can tell because I'm back to being able to pull out my hair very easily. So once I beat this, it's back to Xandrox and spironolactone. Or at least Xandrox.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Vortex,

Thanks.

Just curious, when you were on finasteride, did you find that it was working or not regarding your hair loss? How did it affect your hair loss.

Thanks

drinkrum

Reaction score
hair mchair said:
VoRteX said:
How is the Arimidex going mchair?

I've been on Arimidex a little over a week (.5 mg a day). I'm also using Androderm patches (for the last 3 or 4 days). My erections are much better, and my ejaculate often shoots now instead of oozing out like before. Libido is still sub-par.

This seems to be a good combo. Although I don't want to rely on exogenous testosterone. I'm going to try stimulating endogenous testosterone production with something like Clomid or HCG. I have an appointment with the famous Dr. Eugene Shippen of The Testosterone Syndrome fame on Nov. 5.

Once I beat this, I'm going to be a topical guy like you Vortex. But for now, male pattern baldness takes a back seat to my sexual dysfunction. I was having good results with Xandrox and spironolactone. I can tell because I'm back to being able to pull out my hair very easily. So once I beat this, it's back to Xandrox and spironolactone. Or at least Xandrox.

Arimidex _will_ stimulate endogenous test. production. And it's damn good at it too.

D.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
.....I did try going off Propecia for a few days, by day 8 or so i was loosing too much hair that i decided to go back on Propecia, notwithstanding the side effects. I do sweat often (in the sauna), so hopefully i can eliminate Propecia accumulation and/or residue. I finally got my spironolactone so my hair is starting to look fuller. 'tis a rolercoaster.... however I have determined that spironolactone, propecia, folligen, and green tea will indeed keep hair on my head as long as I continue to respond the same way as I am now.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
HomerJ said:
Vortex,

Thanks.

Just curious, when you were on finasteride, did you find that it was working or not regarding your hair loss? How did it affect your hair loss.

Thanks

Well I had quite a bit of thickening and perhaps some regrowth.

my pics are here but these are a little dated.

http://vortex7272.tripod.com/

I seem to be maintaining at this point

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
[/quote]I was having good results with Xandrox and spironolactone. I can tell because I'm back to being able to pull out my hair very easily.[/quote]

being able to pull your hair out is good? I dont get it

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
I was having good results with Xandrox and spironolactone. I can tell because I'm back to being able to pull out my hair very easily.[/quote]

being able to pull your hair out is good? I dont get it[/quote]

You obviously took what I said completely out of context. When I was on Xandrox and spironolactone, I couldn't pull out my hair. Now that I'm not using either of them, I can. That means that Xandrox and spironolactone were apparently working for me. Which means that they will do so again when I start using them in the future.