Update On 16 Year Old Sons Hair Loss...after Seeing Derm

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses to my last post 're my son.

We saw a private scalp derm today in London and he said my son was folate, vit d and iron deficient. He has seborrhic eczema and thinks after discussing things and seeing photos, that there was a fungal issue also going on (possibly yeast). The hairs he is losing are clubbed so telogen.
He is not sure if there is an element of male pattern baldness exacerbated early by the scalp conditions and deficiencies but my son does have acquired kinky hair syndrome which can be a precursor to male pattern baldness.

He has to have further blood tests and take supplements to see if the deficiencies are a possible cause I presume?

Since reading a few posts on this forum, I decided to try nizoral, t gel with salicylic acid, then rosemary/jojoba/castor oil mix.

I'm adding some photos as I think there is an improvement. His scalp is no longer red, greasy and inflamed either!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190618-183832.png
    Screenshot_20190618-183832.png
    741.8 KB · Views: 432
  • Screenshot_20190618-183741.png
    Screenshot_20190618-183741.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 383

Outsider626

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most of the people have vitamin D deficiency (lack of sun). It's not the issue.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's a bit of everything he has going on. I've noticed a difference in both his hair and scalp over the past month since he's used nizoral and other bits. The Dr said use the supplements, change diet, get the blood tests done and go back. Also he said my son's testosterone was low...what would cause this?

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's a bit of everything he has going on. I've noticed a difference in both his hair and scalp over the past month since he's used nizoral and other bits. The Dr said use the supplements, change diet, get the blood tests done and go back. Also he said my son's testosterone was low...what would cause this?

Don’t listen to the doctors. As someone who began losing hair aggressively since I was fourteen, where doctors told me it was due to deficiencies, they are lying to you. He should see someone who can do a scalp biopsy, and check whether there are miniaturising hairs or not.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
He's not ruling out male pattern baldness at all but just wants to see how he goes with the supplements. I couldn't afford the biopsy today as it was private but he's writing to my Dr and said son could see him on the NHS.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
He's not ruling out male pattern baldness at all but just wants to see how he goes with the supplements. I couldn't afford the biopsy today as it was private but he's writing to my Dr and said son could see him on the NHS.

You should demand your doctor to refer your son! It took four years for mine to finally refer me to a dermatologist

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted him to be seen asap so didn't want the 6 month wait...gp was going to refer. He shouldve referred him when I first took my son about this when he was 13!

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted him to be seen asap so didn't want the 6 month wait...gp was going to refer. He shouldve referred him when I first took my son about this when he was 13!

I got referred as urgent after I demanded, and I got seen in two weeks... You need to overreact and say your son is suicidal and wants to commit suicide because his hair loss is bad; you have to use emotional manipulation tactics. It works like a charm!

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember you told me that before but son has autism and wouldn't say that he feels that way to the Drs. But he's been seen at least even if I had to pay. At least he see a decent scalp derm and can see him on NHS further apps.