Update, 46M, dutasteride/RU/minoxidil - question

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi all, long story short, been on Avodart, Minoxidil and RU forever, > 12years each. Quick notes followed by a question:
  • I've always slowly lost hair (never had real success), but have had periods of maintenance that would last a few month here and there.
  • However, in the past 5 months, my hair has been in epic decline, it's almost as if everything has stopped working.
  • Even when I wash my hair, only a few hairs would fall out, but now, there's hundreds and hundreds, it's wild.
  • About 2 month ago I switched both of my RU and Avodart sources. I used "Bob" for RU but switched to Chemyo, and Avodart used inhousePharmacy, but their out of stock on Avodart and swichted to Happy Head.
What do you guys think? Is the switch in providers to blame, or have the meds run their course and this is the end? The decline is steep, I'm freaking out, I don't see this resolving. I'm also a heavy toppik and hair spray user.

BaldBob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn' hurt to switch back and find out. I'm also 46 and my hair loss has stabilized for now. The 30s hit me hard.

BaldBob

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just use topical minoxidil. I was using topical finasteride but had to stop due to sides. I plan to restart later at a lower dose.

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its hard to say without pics. What Norwood before starting any treatment?

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just use topical minoxidil. I was using topical finasteride but had to stop due to sides. I plan to restart later at a lower dose.
Thanks for the reply, but we're not even playing the same game :)

I'm on basically the strongest regimen you'll find on the internet.

Topical minoxidil won't even stop hair loss, just thicken up existing hair, giving you the "appearance" it's helping.

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its hard to say without pics. What Norwood before starting any treatment?
I would say I was a NW1 when I started. Jumped on dutasteride right away. Later added minoxidil, then RU, always used Nizoral.

Its hard to gauge a Norwood for me, i'm a diffuse thinner, more concentrated loss in the front. Probably a NW3 now I would guess.

The concern tho is not the steady loss over time, but the extreme loss over the past 3 months, I just don't get it, maybe my time is up.

It's consuming every thought I have, this hair loss sh*t sucks man.

I really don't think there's anything else for me to add to my regimen.

BaldBob

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but we're not even playing the same game :)

I'm on basically the strongest regimen you'll find on the internet.

Topical minoxidil won't even stop hair loss, just thicken up existing hair, giving you the "appearance" it's helping.
Oh I’m well aware

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say I was a NW1 when I started. Jumped on dutasteride right away. Later added minoxidil, then RU, always used Nizoral.

Its hard to gauge a Norwood for me, i'm a diffuse thinner, more concentrated loss in the front. Probably a NW3 now I would guess.

The concern tho is not the steady loss over time, but the extreme loss over the past 3 months, I just don't get it, maybe my time is up.

It's consuming every thought I have, this hair loss sh*t sucks man.

I really don't think there's anything else for me to add to my regimen.

Its quite possible the strong shedding being caused by the change of providers, especially if the new supplier is giving you another generic brand.

Maybe you should research if low dose oral minoxidil (2.5- 5 mg) fits your situation. Talk to a doctor first, while uncommon side effects are real.

On the bright side, its effective for a lot of people, even topical minoxidil non responders, and cheap.

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its quite possible the strong shedding being caused by the change of providers, especially if the new supplier is giving you another generic brand.

Maybe you should research if low dose oral minoxidil (2.5- 5 mg) fits your situation. Talk to a doctor first, while uncommon side effects are real.

On the bright side, its effective for a lot of people, even topical minoxidil non responders, and cheap.
I'd love to do oral minoxidil, but I'm on blood pressure meds already, so not sure if this would interact. Guess I could ask my Dr.

The loss I'm experiencing right now is unreal, like each week is a noticeable difference. At this rate, by Jan. 1, i'm going to be a different person.

Considering how much toppik i've used over the years, people/friends/family are going to see me and be like "what the f*** happened to your hair", it's a shocking transition.

InhousePharmacy won't have Avodart according to their site until end of Dec., so I'm stuck in this situation for awhile. IF the change in providers is even the issue.

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another week/wash, another insane week of hair loss.

I have no idea what's going on, but my hair has reached a level I never thought would happen.

I'm scared to death on how this will look in a month.

The last 3 months have been insane, I can not believe the feelings and mood this is putting me in.

I know it shouldn't and I know nobody gives af, but it's ruining my life right now.

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you ever on finasteride?

Obviously, if you noticed your shedding at 5 months, then changing brands 2 months ago is not the cause of your shed.
No, never did finasteride, went straight to dutasteride.

Yah I know the timeline doesn’t align with the brand change - but changing back is the only thing that gives me some hope.

Otherwise I’m fuct.

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have your testosterone levels changed?
Not to my knowledge - but haven’t had them checked in years.

I wish there was a Dr I could see who understands this and I could work with to try and make something positive happen.

I’ve been to 3 Dermos over the years and none of them even knew what RU was. The one had no idea people take Avodart for hair loss, she had to google it.