Upcoming Hair Transplant With Pictures. Feedback Welcome.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new here but have done some good reading so far. I am 35 and have been losing my hair for 10 years now. It bothers me on and off but is always in the back of my mind; especially because I am single and do date frequently. I have been using finasteride for years now and minoxidil 5% for about 1.5 years. Hair loss has slowed down substantially and after shaving my head for a long time I decided to let it grow back in. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I begin 2 months of vacation in April and I felt maybe I should just go get transplant surgery and feel more confident going forward in this area. I go in for an in-person consult next week and they know I want to get in ASAP. I will be using a very popular Vancouver, BC doctor for this FUT procedure. I plan to be off work a month or so and feel this should be enough time to recover. I do wear a helmet for work so I need to discuss this with the doctor.

Here are some pics and I would like some feedback about what others think and the success rate I may have. If anyone had similar hair loss as to mine and had the surgery, hearing your input would be beneficial to me.

Thank you all :)

Last edited:

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't think you need a FUT. I would go for a FUE just to cover that crown 1-2000 grafts would do it easy. After a month most of the grafts will have taken hold and shed so wearing a helmet shouldn't be a problem. You will still have redness in the area though.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have not really thought of just doing the crown and leaving the hairline. I figured why not do both all at once... I would say that the back is what mostly bothers me the most. Has anyone ever done the crown to go back and do the hairline later on?

Thank you.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would do the crown first you can always pile the hair forward. You have to get the hair loss under control then go for it if you don't and lose the mid section and existing hair line it wont be too bad. If you do the hairline first then lose the hairs behind it can look a little weird . But if you are sure your hair loss is stable then get as much done at once because it is not a pleasant recovery period.

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should do both at once with a FUE. Go for an improved crown and temples with a view to another hair transplant down the line.

How much you paying??

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would do the crown first you can always pile the hair forward. You have to get the hair loss under control then go for it if you don't and lose the mid section and existing hair line it wont be too bad. If you do the hairline first then lose the hairs behind it can look a little weird . But if you are sure your hair loss is stable then get as much done at once because it is not a pleasant recovery period.

Have you had a transplant you can speak to? Ideally getting it all done would be great but if doing FUE it’s very expensive.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should do both at once with a FUE. Go for an improved crown and temples with a view to another hair transplant down the line.

How much you paying??

If I did front and back with FUE it would be around $25,000.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you had a transplant you can speak to? Ideally getting it all done would be great but if doing FUE it’s very expensive.
Yes I have had a FUE. The prices are cheap if you are willing to travel 4-7000 euros is average. I had mine done in the UK but if i ever decide to do another i would go to Turkey and get it done. If you visit the FUE section of the forum then you will see plenty of examples of the good work they are doing out there. Erdogon is the best but there are a few others like Gethair etc.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
You also remember that if you have a FUT you wont ever be able to have your hair as short as it is now.

I’m not too comfortable with going to Turkey. I’ve looked at it though... that’s something I’ve thought about. Not being able to wear my hair short anymore with FUT. FUE is just very expensive though.....

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Don't do the crown. Your crown isn't really that bad and you would be wasting a lot of valuable grafts on it, without too much cosmetic difference.

If you are deadset on doing something, then do the hairline, but keep your expectations modest.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
To much money, it's a rip off. Be cheaper to go to Europe, Madrid would be cheaper. Top guy there.

I have looked at this... however, one of the top clinic in the world is literally 3 blocks from my house. There is some comfort there albeit expensive. This is what has bene so confusing. I have heard "do the front", "do the back", etc etc.. Did any of you contemplate this over and over? Almost back out? hoary with it overall? I feel overwhelmed actually.

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also room to haggle at those prices. I'm sure you could get up to 30% off with a little bit of haggling.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your 35 so you have a mature hairline which looks ok. The crown area will always make you look older and like i said before if you lose your current hair having the rebuilt front would look strange without hair behind it, and believe me it does happen. 25k CD is way too much for a FUT they are supposed to be cheaper than FUEs because they take less time to do.

Do you even know how many grafts they are planning to give you? For 25kCD i would be expecting 6-7000 grafts.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your 35 so you have a mature hairline which looks ok. The crown area will always make you look older and like i said before if you lose your current hair having the rebuilt front would look strange without hair behind it, and believe me it does happen. 25k CD is way too much for a FUT they are supposed to be cheaper than FUEs because they take less time to do.

Do you even know how many grafts they are planning to give you? For 25kCD i would be expecting 6-7000 grafts.

Hey there,

There is some confusion here. It would be about $25K for FUE. $16K (ish) for FUT and they guessed about 2-4000 grafts. I go in to see them next Monday. I am concerned about the cost and the amount of recovery time and if this is all even worth it.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
You look like you would have an excellent head shape for buzzed or shaved head. Have you ever tried that style? I would hold off for a few years on a transplant and see where you are at dating-wise, hair-wise, and available treatments-wise.

You say yourself that it bothers you off and on. So while it may be bothering you presently (and I understand that feeling obviously), you don’t necessarily need to commit to something just yet. Good luck.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Generally speaking you can get more grafts using FUT. Plus i disagree with @Murkey Thumb your hairline is way past the mature state and are clearly balding

I think FUT a good decision as you can harvest more grafts over a lifetime if you go FUT first and then FUE. You are kinda young, so i am assuming you will need one or two more transplants in your life.

FUT - advantages: more grafts over lifetime, higher success rate vs transcection rate, larger graft survivability after transplant

FUE - advantages: less scaring, shorter recovery time

There are advantages and disadvantages to both FUE and FUT. In your position i would go FUT because based on your crown you will need more transplants in the future. Using FUT maximizes grafts

A lot of Doctors push FUE because of the price point it usually costs between 3x to 5x what an FUT surgery costs.

Rajiv Kumar

My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree with @Obesecat you should go for the FUT

FUT results in a single linear scar at the donor site. During subsequent FUT sessions, your hair transplant surgeon will incorporate your old scar in the new incision – as one edge of the new strip. This means that even though the surgeon extracts more hair for implantation during a second FUT session, it does not lead to hair thinning in the donor area. This is one of the advantages of FUT hair transplant surgeries over FUE as multiple FUE sessions result in accumulative hair loss from the donor areas. An FUT hair transplant surgery costs as little as 50% low which is approximately half of what a FUE hair transplant surgery costs.

But yeah FUT have some disadvantages

Linear scarring
Limited harvesting options
Longer Recovery Period - Facial swelling near the nose, cheeks, and eyes can persist for up to a week.

Consult with atleast 2, 3 physicians before going to the FUT procedure.

Hope this helps