United Kingdom Hair Transplants Need Advice

diz297

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi been looking for ages for good clinics in the uk but most websites don't give out the best information I'm just in the research phase of all this so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good doctor (possibly in the Newcastle or Edinburgh area) would also like to hear people's experience with the doctor they recommend I'm currently sitting at Norwood 2-3 29 year old and haven't lost any hair for around a year so was just looking for information on fixing the hair line

bullitnut

Reaction score
What a load of tosh, there are good doctors in the UK, Dr Ball to name just one is currently doing incredible work....check some of his results http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/forum44/ ......theres also Dr Farjo to name another. The UK has had a bad reputation for many years now.....mainly due to the poor work some shady clinics did by butchering people in the 90's (myself included).

The problem we had here was that even when things started to improve in the UK with better clinics and more skillful doctors, the older poorer quality of work produced from the dodgy UK clinics would get used repeatedly by a certain English Patient Advocate and his minions on most of the major forums as an example of what this country had to offer as a whole.

If you read between the lines it's obvious his aim was to generally dis the UK in my opinion so as to manipulate any potential UK patients into using his own doctor overseas for his own financial gain.....i mean It's hardly rocket science, if someone throws enough mud then it's going to stick!!.... it's common sense.

There's a lot more than meets the eye in this industry and i know from personal experience the workings of certain individuals that try to manipulate vulnerable people. Be careful research the death out of everything and go with who you feel comfortable with yourself...... Yes there are a lot of terrible clinics here in the UK, possibly more than anywhere else in the world so be very vigilant, BUT there are also some very good Doctors here too just like the rest of the world.

I've made mistakes in my own hair loss journey..hell yes!!...... but i have also been very fortunate too to have had it fixed by a truly great clinic. If you take your time though and do your research and read between the lines you won't go far wrong dude i'm sure.

Just my opinion from reading the forums for the past 10 years please don't shoot me.

Last edited:

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you, there is a coctel between money and desperate people and as a result... clinics win. I make the difference between good surgeons and top surgeons and unfortunately we have a lack of the second ones in the UK. Having looked at your link I see a couple of good results by Dr. Ball but he still goes through FUT technique. FUE has clearly overtaken FUT. I follow the world FUE institute, an association founded by top doctors (and someone else, but no more than 3 or 4 more), the only ones I'd put my head under. We all should look for cases from these doctors and take them as examples.

Sorry for my English.

bullitnut

Reaction score
Both Dr Ball and Dr Farjo are performing quality FUE as well as FUT, As you are aware also Dr Ron Shapiro is one of the founders of the world FUE institute and Dr Ball has visited and trained with Dr Shapiro. Also it's worth noting Janna Shafer, Dr Ball's Surgical Manager is an award winning surgical assistant and clinical Manager who worked with Dr Ron for over 2 decades. https://www.themaitlandclinic.com/about-us/janna-shafer/

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have to say I haven't seen any remarkable work in that link but one. Also link to the clinic website...you know..we all prefer particular cases rather than cases in the clinic's website. Do you agree with the approach in many of those cases?

Dont give a s*** to the awards. Just results.

Last edited:

bullitnut

Reaction score
The link was simply a link to information about Janna who worked closely with Dr Shapiro for over two decades, a doctor that is part of the world FUE Institute you yourself mentioned because you said you only liked Doctors that belong to that group.

The fact is Janna has probably more knowledge and experience regarding FUE than a lot of doctors out there, however It seems your obviously blinkered and your minds made up to which clinics you like which is oviously your prerogative.

The fact also remains that there are great Clinics/Doctors in the UK performing great FUE and Dr Ball is one of them, even if you don't agree (your entitled to your opinion however wrong and misinformed it is).

Just for the record I don't give a sh*t either and furthermore i'm pretty sure the happy patients who post in the patients section of that site don't care whether you yourself think he's good or not.

I just hope the readers from the UK realize your just following the band wagon in saying there's no good clinics in the UK when actually there is.

Last edited:

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Aham, I met Messi once and played football for five minutes with him, according to your opinion if I have played with him for 5 years I would have won at least a golden ball. Things don't work like that. Janna is Janna and Shapiro is Shapiro. The fact is results on the section gallery are just acceptable (at best) but one (which is amazing). I consider all the rest a 5, but I take acceptable because final result could be subjective. (and these are the best, otherwise they wouldn't be on the website)I know I repeat myself but Dr Ball is a good doctor but no a top doctor, are they happy? that's perfect, patiences met their goals. In my opinion many of those cases are half way like this, people like it, ok, for me it's incomplete. http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/forum44/4561.html
What about this:
http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/forum44/5400.html
Started Propecia 9 months ago ---- this is helpful
Conservative hair line to allow front to back coverage. -----> this is ok
Patient plans a second surgery to lower hair line. -----> WTF?!?!?! two surgeries on the same area? shitty approach. I want to think the doctor recommended another approach but the patience was too stubborn. One more surgery is necessary because of the poor density.

Choosing a doctor is an important decision and depends on a personal situation, the reality is nowadays going abroad worth it.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are no world class Doctors in the UK

but they charge world class prices

no brainer going to Europe if you're UK based

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are no world class Doctors in the UK

but they charge world class prices

no brainer going to Europe if you're UK based

UK is apart of Europe?

Or you have lost that title since leaving EU? :D

InspectaFollicles

My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the problems is that alot of clinics in the UK use alot of inexperienced technicians to do the placement. There are only a few clinics in which the Doctor does the whole procedure in London, the Harley Street Hair Clinic and the Chiswick Hair Clinic.

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just in case...this is a must at least to be watched by streaming https://www.wfiworkshop.com/
Second international workshop, have a look at the program, topic to be discussed and doctors. TOP TOP TOP
Maybe bullitnut can let me know if any of those doctors work in the UK.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I went to see someone who is mentioned in above post and he said he'd help me, then completely changed his mind and back turned on me a few weeks later, and said he couldn't help me. Because it's diffuse loss he said if he planted it would make the existing hair fall out, and I should be careful about having anything done, but didn't tell me that when I was actually with him, or what if anything I should do! He told me only via email afterwards. No clue why. Not the best experience, not that any consultations are fun. But that was a waste of my time and money and nightmare to get to.

I'm still looking in London..... There must be SOME decent people for the job. Regarding the others you mention, I have seen Farjo's 'celebs', and in all honesty they are the most obvious looking jobs I've seen, Duncan Bannatyne, and Shaun Williamson etc. None of these jobs look natural in any way. Whether the man himself did them, I don't know. Anyone know who did Dec, of Ant & Dec? Jason Donovan went abroad, and his is not great, Always receding after

Last edited:

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to see someone who is mentioned in above post and he said he'd help me, then completely changed his mind and back turned on me a few weeks later, and said he couldn't help me. Because it's diffuse loss he said if he planted it would make the existing hair fall out, and I should be careful about having anything done, but didn't tell me that when I was actually with him, or what if anything I should do! He told me only via email afterwards. No clue why. Not the best experience, not that any consultations are fun. But that was a waste of my time and money and nightmare to get to.

I'm still looking in London..... There must be SOME decent people for the job. Regarding the others you mention, I have seen Farjo's 'celebs', and in all honesty they are the most obvious looking jobs I've seen, Duncan Bannatyne, and Shaun Williamson etc. None of these jobs look natural in any way. Whether the man himself did them, I don't know. Anyone know who did Dec, of Ant & Dec? Jason Donovan went abroad, and his is not great, Always receding after
do you have a thread open with your case? Lorenzo has many diffuse loss cases. All of them successed. Look at this DUPA https://www.recuperarelpelo.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65543 extremely difficult case due to the features of his hair.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, thank you, no thread, no. So that guy is in Madrid? I'd be interested to know how much he had from minoxidil, prior to him stop taking it, and does it say in Spanish that he wouldn't perform on him until he was taking something, finasteride or minoxidil for a while prior to surgery?

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dude, you've been on the forum since 2009. How in the actual fuk are you still looking into UK clinics?

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, thank you, no thread, no. So that guy is in Madrid? I'd be interested to know how much he had from minoxidil, prior to him stop taking it, and does it say in Spanish that he wouldn't perform on him until he was taking something, finasteride or minoxidil for a while prior to surgery?
Yes, finasteride is a must if you suffer from DUPA otherwise your transplanted hair would drop.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude, you've been on the forum since 2009. How in the actual fuk are you still looking into UK clinics?

Well, 'Dude', I didn't need a transplant then, but do now.... what's so strange about that? The very end of 2009 I was more into concealers. Everyone so flush on here are they.

I have checked out a few in the last couple of years London based, but everyone I've seen so far, and particularly the one mentioned already on this thread, were pointless exercises

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, finasteride is a must if you suffer from DUPA otherwise your transplanted hair would drop.

You mean for the remaining hair, not the transplanted hair, which they tell you is 'for life'? Are you saying the transplanted hair needs finasteride too?

Davidubi

My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean for the remaining hair, not the transplanted hair, which they tell you is 'for life'? Are you saying the transplanted hair needs finasteride too?
Unfortunately Yes. DUPA means that hair from the whole donor area is affected by DHT too and it could drop (no matter where you place them). Few doctors are willing to put their hands on this.

Sorry for my English.