unique situation. need advice. male pattern baldness or not.

maybeMPB

Reaction score
(picture of my hair to reference)
http://m4m24g36.tripod.com/

Hello all.

I am a newbie here.
As I am sure you know, it can be a pretty daunting task to find help on such a subject. I am happy to have found such a forum. I have been browsing and searching the forum for the past week.
My situation may be sort of unique and I need some advice.

Just some quick info: I am an Italian-American male, 27 years old.
Referencing my photo, you will see the two photos of when I had short hair. This was just a year ago. I had been wearing my hair like this for years and never was concerned about thinning. It also makes it a bit difficult to tell if you're thinning when your hair is so short (at least I think so). I really noticed the thinning when I decided to grow my hair long this year (like the photos you see). So one might devise one theory stating that maybe male pattern baldness has been in progress for some years and I did not notice it due to wearing my hair short and now that I grew it out, it's more noticable. But there is an issue that might have played a big role. The past year of 2003, I had been living in a different location. A hot climate all year. I was constantly stressed about my life. I was eating crappy food. Microwave meals and maybe too much pasta and olive oil. I know for sure I was missing alot of nutrients. Also, I'm sure the water I showered with was different in that location. I am pretty badly underweight, losing 10-15lbs the past year. Just 125 for a six foot male! For quite a while I've always suspected a hyperactive thyroid gland. I was tested some years back, results where negative. This past year I was tested for it again. Same thing, no hyperthyroidism. I would have actually been happy to hear that I had it. It would have explained away alot of the symptoms I have. I mean, should I really go and get tested yet again. Gee. One other strange thing I was thinking might be a problem, are parasites. I came across an episode on tv discussing this and it does make sense because I can eat so much yet never gain weight. And maybe they are robbing nutrients to my hair. Who knows?!!
The issue right now is that my hair is really fine, baby fine. I don't remember it like this before. I mean, I've always had fine hair but not like this. It's like air when it's dry and you run your hands through it. It just seems so dead and empty. I also want to emphasize that I do have alot of hairs, it's just that they are all way too thin. I am talking about the ones on top. My side hairs and back hairs are o.k. I inspected real close to my scalp and noticed that it seems like there are no empty spaces, meaning lost hairs. So it's not exactly like I am losing hairs, just that they have become real fine.
The hair you see in the photos which I took a few days ago, is styled with a light amount of a hair groom creamy type lotion. So it's not my styling product.

So....I really need some advice. I have returned home a couple weeks back. There is less stress, I am eating better, taking a daily vitamin, and I am in my old environment. So I was thinking on maybe riding it out for a half year of so to see if my hair comes back thicker. I have gotten frustrated quite a few times and wanted to cut my hair short again, but I really like having it longer so I decide not to go forth with cutting it short.
So as you can see, it can be pretty confusing. If I had not gone through such a change in lifestyle in the last year, then for sure I would suspect male pattern baldness and would take the recommended actions.
Heck, also to consider, what if I have some sort of type of disease? Like....I don't know, cancer, or yikes, HIV, or whatever. That would stink! I don't have health insurance so it's not exactly easy to go get tested for all sorts of things.

So, assuming it may have been my diet and lack of nutrients in the last year, or the stress or the water, and I give my hair 6-12 months to see if it returns to normal, but it doesn't, then what would you recommend for a plan of attack?
Seeing that I am not losing hairs, just that the hairs I have are thinning, what would I use to help thicken my hairs? finasteride, or Minoxidil, etc.?

Should I even mention the history of male pattern baldness in my family or is that still a controversy as to whether or not it plays a role? Well anyway...my father just has a typical receding hair line. My maternal grandfather had a fairly strong receding line. I can't tell from the only photo I have of him if he had fine hairs. My paternal grandfather had a good head of hair.

Well, that's about everything.
I really appreciate all of your help. Taking your time to read this post.
As you can imagine, you're really my only avenue of good advice.

Thanks again. :)

G

MaybeMpb welcome and I think you better change that name to just probably male pattern baldness

It's funny that mention you only noticed it when you grew your long, because the same thing happened to me. All my life I always had short hair(just like your style) or when I thought I was a gangta I always had a hat. As soon as I started to begin to enjoy my hair and grow it out, BAM I noticed thinning in front. Ain't that a b**ch.

BAD NEWS--That looks like classic receding/frontal thinning male pattern baldness in my opinion. YOu can just tell with the thinner hairs in front and slight recession(sharper on right side)

GOOD NEWS--It's not that bad yet, you're 27, and by doing this you're getting a good start. Not to mention that your family history does not include nw5-7's. YOu may be following fathers or granpa's history which would not be that bad.

ADVICE-- It's always hard to tell wether male pattern baldness will progress at all, or if it does, how fast it will begin to fall. Either see a doctor and ask there opinion, or just closely monitor individual groups of hairs(name them even) at hairline to see whether thinning is continuing.

If it is progressing or you have been "diagnosed" with male pattern baldness, then I think your best option would be to start with .5mg-1mg propecia/proscar, and forget about minoxidil for now. At your age and minor hairloss, just maintaining would be perfect.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
Strange, everyone that suffers from male pattern baldness seems to be able to hide it by kepping hair short, but in my case the shorter my hair is, the more obvious my hairloss becomes, bur I'm not sure if I suffer from male pattern baldness, my hairloss i a little strange, all hair on my head suffers from loss or thinning:)

maybeMPB

Reaction score
bob marley,
Thanks for your advice.
Sure, I would be happy with keeping what I have right now, just maintaining it and would not be too bothered with a receding hair line.
If I could get my hairs on top back to a more desirable thickness, that would be great.
So looks like I may give it a few months to see if the thinning was a result of the past year experience. If there is no change then I will try the propecia to maintain what I have.
Right, thankfully I am not far into the balding process. So keeping what I have will be the best bet if possible.
Thanks all again, for your support. As you can imagine, it is much appreciated.

Have a great day! :)

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If the 'thinning' youre reffering to is lower hair count, then it could be various factors as you indicate. If the average diameter of the hair shaft is thinner in the thinning areas, then you almost definitly have male pattern baldness.

hopewas

Reaction score
you're definitely losing your hair. my hair is like yours long and the same way when cut short..only my hair has a flip in the front. get started on proscar..and minoxidil later on if it gets worse and you need it. i wish i did a long time ago

maybeMPB

Reaction score
Just to restate, my hair is thinning in the manner that it is much smaller in diameter; I mean really fine; baby fine. My hair count is still good.

You know, I've really been doing some thinking and closer inspection recently.

The hairs are just way too damn fine. I am thinking it is male pattern baldness. I mean, I've been pretty hardy growing up and could eat whatever and never had any side effects, especially not to my hair. Also, I've had stress in the past years but never noticed hair thinning. My thyroid tested o.k. two different times.
Looks like I'm probably part of the rest of the 95% of balding men and have male pattern baldness.
I can also see near the hairline, really short baby fine hairs.
Also...my scalp does itch.

I picked up Thicker Fuller Hair shampoo. Hope it's good.

So...like most guys out there, I am on a budget.
Any suggestions for a generic propecia and where to buy without a prescription?

So if propecia does work for me, should it thicken the diameter of the hairs? Right now I still have all of my hairs so I am assuming right now I don't need minoxidil as that is for regrowing lost hairs; correct?

And I suppose if I begin propecia, it's standard to include nizoral?

Well, thanks again for all your support.

Take care! :)

G

I think it's definately realistic to expect these hair to thicken. However, if you still ose these hairs before propecia kicks in don;t worry to much. You still have a lot of hair, and it will be a lot thicker after a year. You are a perfect candidate for a propecia only regimen.

Yeah, include nizoral for sure. Leave on at least ten minutes before showering. Then rinse off with cold-medium water.

Good luck.

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
maybeMPB said:
(picture of my hair to reference)
http://m4m24g36.tripod.com/

So I was thinking on maybe riding it out for a half year of so to see if my hair comes back thicker.

Heck, also to consider, what if I have some sort of type of disease? Like....I don't know, cancer, or yikes, HIV, or whatever. That would stink! I don't have health insurance so it's not exactly easy to go get tested for all sorts of things.
Thanks again. :)

I agree with Hopewas. You are thinning. Definately male pattern baldness. If you wait a year and hope your hair will improve, you will only succeed in delaying starting a proven treatment (propecia) from which you could benefit considerably. Take control of your thinning! Carpe Diem! So what are you waiting for? Get going, everyday you delay is more hair you loose. I agree with Bob Marley on holding off with minoxidil, you still have considerable amount of hair and may respond well to finasteride and nizoral alone.

Fear not, as cancer, and HIV don't cause hairloss. Good luck. :lol:

G

Kenneth,

It's sometimes hard to determine and keep track of follicles at that level. Sometimes hair will thin so fast that it willl seem that the hair just packed up and left. Baldness is a strange thing and can happen many different ways. Diffuse, recede then crown, crown then recede, crown and recede, just recede, just crown. NOt only that but speed differs from person to person.

My suggestion to you is see a doctor or do more personall research to dtermine whether you have male pattern baldness. If all else fails, come back and then start asking questions about whether you have male pattern baldness.

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
Kenneth said:
Strange, everyone that suffers from male pattern baldness seems to be able to hide it by kepping hair short, but in my case the shorter my hair is, the more obvious my hairloss becomes, bur I'm not sure if I suffer from male pattern baldness, my hairloss i a little strange, all hair on my head suffers from loss or thinning:)

In my experience, if you think you are balding, you probably are. Don't do what I did and ask your mom if she thinks you are. And then when she tells you "No, definately not." just to offer false reassurance you actually believe her. All the while the writting is on the wall, and thanks to her you've lost precious time with which you could have been on proven treatments attempting to improve your life or at least "maintain" it....AAAHHHH F*CK I hate hariloss! :evil:

maybeMPB

Reaction score
Oh boy, thanks again everyone for your input.
I was away for the weekend and am now just reading the posts.

The numerous votes towards the male pattern baldness verdict has now got me planning my new regimen of finasteride and nizoral.

Interesting that I asked two thinning guys about my hair. They said, "I don't know...just deal with it. Propecia is junk and doesn't work."

Based on the type of people they are, I take their opinion as pure ignorance. They haven't done the research or even made the attempt to use the product, either didn't try it or didn't try it long enough.

At any rate, I really appreciate your support.

Take care all!

Cassin

Reaction score
maybeMPB said:
Oh boy, thanks again everyone for your input.
I was away for the weekend and am now just reading the posts.

The numerous votes towards the male pattern baldness verdict has now got me planning my new regimen of finasteride and nizoral.

Interesting that I asked two thinning guys about my hair. They said, "I don't know...just deal with it. Propecia is junk and doesn't work."

Based on the type of people they are, I take their opinion as pure ignorance. They haven't done the research or even made the attempt to use the product, either didn't try it or didn't try it long enough.

At any rate, I really appreciate your support.

Take care all!

After looking at your pics. It is male pattern baldness for sure.

I think a lot of people take Propecia for a few months and then lable it is junk after not giving it enough time. If you decide to start using it, you will do fine. Good luck to you.