Under 30 losing hair would appreciate advice! :)

amaze

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been reading around the forums for a while and picked up some useful info - thanks! Ok a little about me:

I'm a 28 (nearly 29) year old male from the UK. Over the last few years I have noticed the hair at the front going nearly as far back to my crown "thinning". The hair on the sides and back is still very thick (I have always had thick hair).

I was in my local supermarket the other day and saw Nizoral which I have seen raved about on here. It is the "20mg/g Ketoconazole" strength (firstly is this the 1% or 2%?)?

Ideally I would like to stop anymore "thinning" and if at all possible regenerate new hair cells for growth. So my questions are:

1) How often should I take this Nizoral?
2) Is there any where in the UK that is cheaper to buy online from than Tescos\Boots etc?
3) Is there any other product I should look at taking (proscar, saw palmetto powder, regaine etc?)

Thanks for your time! :)

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20mg per gram is 2%

In the USA, only 1% keto is over the counter, so we prevent keto abuse here! You're supposed to use is 2-3 times per week and leave it on your scalp for 5 minutes.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it works prettty good. but.... you might need some other medication along side it.

amaze

Reaction score
recboi said:
20mg per gram is 2%

In the USA, only 1% keto is over the counter, so we prevent keto abuse here! You're supposed to use is 2-3 times per week and leave it on your scalp for 5 minutes.

Thanks I will do that... Should this be continued for 12 months without breaks?

amaze

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
it works prettty good. but.... you might need some other medication along side it.

What other meds (I would prefer external than tabs if possible) would you say I should look to use in conjunction with keto please?

Thanks in advance :)

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
Ohh, boy. You're in for a depressing realization with the hair loss situation.

Hair loss is a lifetime problem. It happens to everyone, just some people have such a small amount of genetic susceptibility that it doesn't show much before they're dead of old age. For the rest of us who show loss earlier in life, it's gonna continue to get visibly worse for the rest of our lives. The younger age that you see loss, the worse your genetic susceptibility and therefore the more extensive your lifetime loss will be.

Condolences.
We're all in the same boat here. You're not in the best situation but you're not in the worst one either. There are 15-year-olds out there with visible bald spots & receding hairlines.

Hair loss meds are all "Continue until you no longer want that hair preserved."

The current hair loss drugs only stop or slow the process down for most people. Getting regrowth that's enough to be "cosmetically significant" hardly ever happens no matter what medications you use. Stop using something, and the hair loss resumes like it did before.

You need to learn the difference between inflammation fighters and DHT fighters. That's the two categories that hair loss medications fall under. DHT fighters stop the long-term problem better but they're problematic because of side effects (at least when taken internally). Inflammation fighters are better at regrowth but by themeselves they do nothing to help the long-term.