Uncomfortable Situation, should I reveal I had a transplant?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
So I ran into some people I haven't seen in a while, I'm close to the 5 month mark of my transplant so my hair has been filling in quite a bit, even though the result is still far from finalized.

In this group where the parents of their son that I know, who appears to be thinning badly in his twenties like a lot of us here. Immediately I got compliments on my hair (even though it is far from done but I guess even at this stage there is enough cosmetic improvement), and she begged to ask me what I did to improve my hair so she could tell her son.

I got caught off guard here so I said I was experimenting with shampoos, and she said to write them down so she can tell her son, and I said I will later.

Now my moral dilemma: should I tell her I spent a huge amount of money on a transplant, or just lie? I kind of wanted to keep this a secret as who knows how word will spread...

Last edited:

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I ran into some people I haven't seen in a while, I'm close to the 5 month mark of my transplant so my hair has been filling in quite a bit, even though the result is still far from finalized.

In this group where the parents of their son that I know, who appears to be thinning badly in his twenties like a lot of us here. Immediately I got compliments on my hair (even though it is far from done but I guess even at this stage there is enough cosmetic improvement), and she begged to ask me what I did to improve my hair so she could tell her son.

I got caught off guard here so I said I was experimenting with shampoos, and she said to write them down so she can tell her son, and I said I will later.

Now my moral dilemma: should I tell her I spent a huge amount of money on a transplant, or just lie? I kind of wanted to keep this a secret as who knows how word will spread...
What was your prior Norwood level? I imagine it would only make sense to have an explanation ready in the event people did notice/ask. Why are you worried about people knowing you had surgery especially if it was successful? Congrats on the improvement.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
What was your prior Norwood level? I imagine it would only make sense to have an explanation ready in the event people did notice/ask. Why are you worried about people knowing you had surgery especially if it was successful? Congrats on the improvement.
I was a diffuse norwood 5/6, who used fibers and combovers to somewhat disguise it but really it wasn't fooling anyone I bet...

Well, the reason why is because there is still a stigma against them somewhat, kind of like you are vain or trying to be a fraud with hair when you aren't "supposed" to have any...that you didn't just "man up" and shave your head and instead paid a ton of money just for cosmetic reasons...

mminh

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO you can list the cause and treatment for her, there could be many reasons that can lead to hair loss:

- telogen effluvium
- vitamin deficiency
- skin disease
- androgenic alopecia

And in your case, you have somewhat of a skin disease so some shampoos help you regrowth hair. But if her son has hair miniaturization, it is most likely that he has androgenic alopecia, and because you research it a bit, you can share your finding, etc...

Sorry about my English.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
My rough rule is that if I am talking to a person who has hair, it is ok to lie but if talking to a bald guy who could benefit, I should try to tell the truth (about my hair system). So I think that you should say that you had a transplant. So far no bald guy has commented on my hair 'growth' so I haven't had to tell anybody due to my rule.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just tell you had a transplant and the name of the doctor, don't say how much you paid. If he's curious enough he'll find out by himself and then decide what to do about it

A female coworker's fiance had a transplant because of me with the same doctor lol

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some mom of a 20 something year old son told me her son is insecure because he's balding and doesn't want to date girls for it

So I gave her my phone number and said I'll be glad to help him out if he decides to call me.. he never did *shrugs*

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Tell her your username on here

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some mom of a 20 something year old son told me her son is insecure because he's balding and doesn't want to date girls for it

So I gave her my phone number and said I'll be glad to help him out if he decides to call me.. he never did *shrugs*
More like girls don't want to date him for it. Delusional mother.

Caillou

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is funny how so many mothers (including my own) got so sad when their sons started losing their hair early, you would think for something so natural that there wouldn't be a reason to be sad, right?
Can you blame them? We're freaks of nature

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a diffuse norwood 5/6, who used fibers and combovers to somewhat disguise it but really it wasn't fooling anyone I bet...

Well, the reason why is because there is still a stigma against them somewhat, kind of like you are vain or trying to be a fraud with hair when you aren't "supposed" to have any...that you didn't just "man up" and shave your head and instead paid a ton of money just for cosmetic reasons...
I would argue the stigma is disappearing. Thanks to social media and the rising popularity and availability of cosmetic surgery in the West it’s probably never been a better time for men to get a transplant. Cosmetic surgery for young men and women is practically a right of passage now in Korea for example. I completely understand not wanting to deal with people gossiping and wanting to maintain your privacy though.

But also consider this, if you think you weren’t fooling anyone with the fibers when you were losing hair then you also won’t be fooling anyone with the bogus explanations for sudden regrowth. People will always gossip. As for the woman and her son, that’s tough. I probably would tell her I got the surgery after trying medication first but not reveal the true cost.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I would argue the stigma is disappearing. Thanks to social media and the rising popularity and availability of cosmetic surgery in the West it’s probably never been a better time for men to get a transplant. Cosmetic surgery for young men and women is practically a right of passage now in Korea for example. I completely understand not wanting to deal with people gossiping and wanting to maintain your privacy though.

But also consider this, if you think you weren’t fooling anyone with the fibers when you were losing hair then you also won’t be fooling anyone with the bogus explanations for sudden regrowth. People will always gossip. As for the woman and her son, that’s tough. I probably would tell her I got the surgery after trying medication first but not reveal the true cost.
Thanks, this is what I'll probably do.