Ultra Thin Skin - Cutting Down The Base Around The Hairline.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just got a new system, and it was done by a new stylist. The style he has cut for me is absolutely impeccable. It's totally realistic for my head shape and the fade/blend is spot on. I've literally never ever been this happy with a hair system. I WOULD feel totally comfortable going out and not being sussed, EXCEPT...

He's cut the hairline to the right shape, but he's cut it in a way where he has clearly cut through some hairs. This has left me with a very noticeable line across my hairline where the cut hairs all end in a uniform size. It essentially equates to a line traced along the edge of the base. The funny thing was, when I first met him, there was something about his system that was odd. I realise now that he's done the same on his own one.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had experience of this? Is it normal to have a slight 'lip' on the base where there are no hairs (perhaps a couple of mm). Is there anything I can do?

As I said, it's very frustrating because the rest of the stylist's work was such a high standard. I will definitely ask him about it, but my next cut is in a month.

EDIT: I should probably say that it's not SUCH a huge giveaway that someone who doesn't know hair systems would notice it. That said, I'm on a quest for a perfect hairline, and I felt like I was so close with the last system (the only thing that prevented me from fully exposing was the two tears in the base that I had inflicted myself!).

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Without seeing the pics it's not so easy to advise, but if it is what I think, then cut the 'lip' off yourself, if there are no hairs on it. The best thing to use are small nail scissors - you'll find them on Amazon on Ebay for a few $ / £.

The hairline on a UTS should always be jagged anyway, so as to not have a hard line that is more easily detectable. So if you do cut, then cut in a jagged way. And then advise your stylist to do the same.

Having said that, the hairline should not be cut at all unless there is good reason. If you're looking for a specific contour then get a custom system made - it'll make a world of difference.

Great to hear that you're happy with the system on the whole. Pics would be great to see if you're happy to post some.