uk surgeons

nafsurf

Reaction score
I went to for 4 consultations in the London area, I never came back with any real confidence from any of them.

Nobel - was a surgery at the back of a bed and breakfast near Gatwick, they weren't keen to show me the before and after photos. wanted £2500 for 3000 hairs. I've seen a couple of bad reviews on this site about donor scars.

Wellesbourne - again they want £2500, for 1000 grafts but again I've seen bad reviews on this site about donor scars.

Wimpole - again wanted £2500, I have heard good things about Dr May on this site. Apparently has done 6000 operations, but only 1 or 2 appear on any of these forums.

Farjo - wanted £4200 for 1000-1200 grafts, wanted to know what car I would like to buy next for some reason!

I guess it's between wimpole and farjo, but I'm lacking more info and more references, anyone know where to find out more. All of them seemed to get a bit touchy about live references and exact numbers of grafts,fu's etc. I guess they've all got so much business they can't be bothered with the hassel of that.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

my pics will be on here soon, i have had 3 sessions with wellesbourne, so you can judge for yourself if you think they are any good!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
re uk surgeons

I am also deciding who/when/where etc .I`ve researched this for a very long time & as its not really feasable to go to Australia to see dr Woods or USA to Dr Shapiro or dr Wolf I`ve been looking a bit closer to home .
There seem to be a few dodgy surgeons in UK . Remember "dr" Norton ? I spoke to him a few years ago but wasn`t impressed , then last year I saw that he had been done over disfigured women / liposucture etc .

From my own research I think that dr BESSAM Farjo just gets my vote (although he is probably the most expensive )very closely followed by dr May .Farjos doner scars also are supposed to be the best .

Farjo or May are the only two I am considering

unless I wake up and its all a dream !!!! :)

nafsurf

Reaction score
crazydiamond, who was you surgeon as wellesbourne. I understand Dr Rogers has left now and set up on his own?

The guy I saw at wellesbourne had his one done by Dr Greaves/Dr Hartley.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

I had a couple done by Dr Rogers, and the last one was by Dr Goldstein in Birmingham. He did a pretty good job, well I liked it, which is the point I guess. The only thing about Farjo was the photos on their website looked rubbish to me. But a few people on here have had work done by them and are happy. How bad is your hair loss, what Norwood are you. Are you trying propecia/minoxidil/fns or what?

nafsurf

Reaction score
crazydiamond, I'm a norwood 5, just started trying propecia this week, my gp had never heard of it. I tried regaine for 6 months a few years ago but it didn't make any difference, might as well of sprayed water on my head.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

I think its tough to make a decision on hair transplant now, trying to decide if that elusive something is just around the corner. An hair transplant should be your very last resort, because once you start you cannot go back (well not easily). If you are going to get it done in the UK, they dont do mega sessions like the states, so for a norwood 5, you are talking at least 4 or 5 sessions. I was a Norwood 3 when i started and after 4 sessions i am happy, but it does take time. Give yourself a good serious year and try a solid regime, propecia/minoxidil may work better in combination with anti-dht/topical anti-dht like spironolactone/revivogen/crinagen, and an SOD like folligen/tricomin. FNS is something you could factor in if it proves useful.

But the decision I took 3 years ago was i wasnt ever going to get my hairline back because it was gone too long, so figured at that time hair transplant was the best option.

pete2001

Reaction score
I've seen Dr Farjo, Dr May and Dr Rogers (when he was at Wellesbourne). I would recommend them in that order. Farjo first then Dr May then Dr Rogers (whose donor scar was very keloid and raised although I have had it excised now so no problem to me). Farjo I believe is the most expensive but 'probably' the best. I am seeing him on Tuesday for my final small op and scar reduction production procedure so I'll let you guys know how it goes. I just want some frontal work done (300 grafts) and the scar closed to a pencil line. Cost £1500.

nafsurf

Reaction score
crazydiamond, your picture looks good, the one I've seen so far. I think drugs are a bit too late for me apart from stopping my hair from going further south at the back. My front hair went years ago and is not going to come back. I'm glad I didn't have an hair transplant when I was a norwood 3 because I'd proably have a head full of plugs now.

If I could get two lots of 1500 done then I would be a good way there.
I take your point that they are more equipped for mega sessions in the US, but I don't fancy having to go half way across the world to complain if something went wrong.

crazydiamond, Pete, What sort of grafts did you have done at wellesbourne/farjo/mays, were they mini-micro grafts or were the all-single-follicular-unit grafts (as with ron shapiro).

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

cheers mate, your my best buddy...lol...that was the before pic!!

All 3 now do the follicular units. Yes, you have to balance time and money in your decision. 2 mega sessions with someone like Shapiro or 4 sessions with UK surgeon. Depends on cost and how quick u want results. Look out for the Kebabman, he is from the UK, and has had some work done in the US.

nafsurf

Reaction score
crazydiamond, great, so it's going to get even better with the pics!

They all told me that I need two sessions, but I suppose if they told pepople that they needed 4 they would run a mile. Maybe I don't need hair as thick as yours anyway.

They all do follicular units, but do they all do all-singular-folicular-units, there's a big difference (according to shaprio's site), the crucial words being ALL-SINGULAR. So, no two FU's (or more) in one graft. This takes longer to do because you have more grafts for the same number of hairs.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

Not sure if you mean single hairs. The ones i had done were all single units, but they place units with 2 or 3 hairs, then at the hairline place units with single hairs. If your a norwood 5, you will need at least 2500 units to give you a reasonably good coverage, IMHO. The UK surgeons told me 2 sessions but thats bull, after 2 sessions the job is only half done. So weigh up the cost of Shapiro x 2, or Farjo x 4 and your probably not that much different in cost.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
CD...how come on your pictures page ther refer to you as both Neil and Reid? And the products in your regimen are down as pizza, beer & peanuts...yet you click on the link to read about pizza, and it's about minoxidil, and the beer link is for propecia...HairLossTalk.com were you drunk when you were putting that page up?? :eek:

crazydiamond

Reaction score
Troy

The site is just under construction so the pizza/beer things are just any old text....although I have tried those as remedies, seem to work as well as other things i've tried lol. The site was put up before i realised my real name was used, so in a vain attempt at anonimity, in case i ever become famous and dont want this in the headlines...lol...i changed the name to my alter ego..there the secrets out. The other pics will be on soon...for better or worse. The main aim was to show hair transplant, and monitior what if any progress I have with FNS.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
well i think the only way you're going to get famous now is either by assassinating somebody or by going on the next Big Brother; aside from that I think your chances of fame are pretty slim :wink: Pizza and beer have done nothing for me this weekend, but i think i'll keep them in my regimen just in case...

nafsurf

Reaction score
crzydiamond, not all single hairs, but all-single fu's withi 1-4 hairs each, but definetely only 1 hair fu's at the front. I looked on farjos website and watched their video and they claim to do fu micro surgery and mini grafts (2 or more fu's in one graft (2-8 hairs)), this is not supposed to be good for a natural look).
I'd be happy to go from a Craig Brown look to a Berti Vogts, maybe 1 session for that?

On the fame front, I noticed Quinton Wilson (of car fame) as well as Francis Rossi in the before and after pics, don't know of any others, though that hislop guy off 'Have I got News for you' looks as though he's had something done.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

where did you see their before and after pics. I think both of those you mentioned were concerned in just increasing hairline moderately, as they are on tv, so as not to appear too obvious.

nafsurf

Reaction score
cd, they were both in the wellesbourne before and after pics. both seem happy with the long-thin u-shape at the front. I think rossi went back for a second one.

I've seen your new pics 10 out of 10.