Uci Study Sheds Light On Regulation Of Hair Growth Across The Entire Body

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
"The researchers focused on the interaction of the Wnt signaling pathway, which is important in embryonic development and regeneration, and bone morphogenetic proteins, which are hair growth inhibitory factors...

A breakdown of this complex signaling could uncover the roots of human hair growth irregularities and point to solutions.

For example, common male pattern baldness affects frontal and crown regions but not the back of the head. In adult humans, messaging among scalp hairs appears to stop, and every hair follicle is thought to grow independently.

“If communication between nonbalding and balding regions can be reactivated, hair growth signals can then start spreading across the entire head skin, preventing regional baldness,” Plikus said...

Plikus said that Wnt and BMP signaling activities can be regulated pharmacologically. “Our study identified the types of Wnt-BMP signaling levels that are very favorable for hair growth and the types that prevent it,” he said. “It provides the road map for optimizing Wnt-BMP levels to achieve enhanced hair growth.”

He added that the findings point toward additional signaling factors – besides Wnt and BMP – positively correlated with robust hair growth. Studying these will be the researchers’ next step."

https://news.uci.edu/2017/07/11/uci...lation-of-hair-growth-across-the-entire-body/

On Reddit, Dr. Wrassman recently referred to a new treatment that seems to have come out of this research:

"I am involved with a company called Amplifica which is working with the University of California Irvine. Amplifica’s approach to hair regrowth is based on the discovery of naturally occurring signaling molecules that prominently stimulate new hair growth. The scientific studies leading to the discovery of these molecules are based on the unique molecular biology found in the naturally occurring hairy nevi (aka hairy moles) which has been extensively studied and uniquely understood by the companies’ scientific founder.

William Rassman, M.D."

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/...ture_treatments_around_the/g4v4yrj/?context=3

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least it's something else in the pipeline.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do I get to generate osteopontin? Bovine milk contains.little.unlike human milk .also osteopontin has shown a potential to develop prostate cancer.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Estradiol. This is the same thing as Follicum basically.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dam it so all of this research and we are back to E2? Oh well you don't have to have a phd to realise that human beings with more Estradiol than Testosterones keep their hair longer. Unless I am missing something like they are trying to find an equivalent drug without the feminization side effects?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's still the r-spondin agonist being developed, and Bayer's prolactin antagonist. Those are very interesting, novel treatments. They're both 5-10 years away though. KY19382 is a novel pathway that could potentially improve treatment significantly. Everything else in the pipeline is just versions of stuff we are already experimenting with.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is high prolactin level bad for hair? What's causing it and how do you lower it?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's the one.

Fgsfds

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's still the r-spondin agonist being developed, and Bayer's prolactin antagonist. Those are very interesting, novel treatments. They're both 5-10 years away though. KY19382 is a novel pathway that could potentially improve treatment significantly. Everything else in the pipeline is just versions of stuff we are already experimenting with.
I know the formula for KY is known, how about the other two (i.e. can we start making them ourselves)?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know the formula for KY is known, how about the other two (i.e. can we start making them ourselves)?
No, we have to wait. Maybe you could get RSPO proteins to inject, and prolactin antibodies. It would be very expensive.