Trying to treat a slightly receding hairline in early stages

Carlos27

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time and want to thank a lot of you for some great knowledge and information. Here's my story:

I recently turned 27. I've always had a ton of thick hair and a good hairline (thankfully). There is some hair loss in my family tree (mostly on Dad's side, Mom's side is hit & miss), but it never really crossed my mind until the past few months. I started to notice that my hairline had begun sliding back in the temple regions. Nothing too drastic, but definitely enough to make me want to treat it before it continued to regress. I'm certainly aware of the term "maturing hairline", but I don't feel like taking that chance in case the hair loss proceeds further & further back on my scalp if left untreated.

About 3 months ago, I began taking 1 mg of Propecia (switched to generic Finasteride from my local pharmacist after a month to save money) every morning as well as Rogaine Foam twice a day directly to the temple area. I am definitely starting to see some new hairs sprouting up in those areas. These new hairs are about 80% peach fuzz type hairs and 20% little dark hairs sprouting up. It hasn't been too much time yet, so I'm pretty happy with the progress I've been able to make thus far.

My question for everyone here has more to do with what type of shampoo and conditioner I should use. I certainly read about Nizoral on this board and decided to give the 1% over-the-counter formula a try. I did not care for my scalp's reaction to it the one time I tried it. nizoral seemed to make my head feel a bit dry/itchy/irritated. Nothing too drastic, but certainly something I didn't enjoy. It just so happened that the only time I used it, I had run out of conditioner. I'm not sure if that was a reason for my slight scalp irritation, but it's certainly worth noting.

Sorry to ramble, but I'd like to make sure I'm nipping this issue in the bud in the best way possible. I've long subscribed to the theory that shampooing/conditioning your hair every 2-3 days is best for it to preserve some of the natural oil the scalp produces to prevent drying out my hair. What should I use for shampoo & conditioner and how frequently should I use them?

I haven't noticed any hair reduction in the rest of my scalp up to this point. I'm still fortunate enough to have a thick full head of hair with a decent amount of normal shedding (probably 50-75 hairs a day) other than my slightly receding hairline.

Should I give Nizoral another shot with some conditioner applied immediately after or avoid it due to the irritation it gave me? On days I don't use nizoral, what other shampoo & conditioner are good to use?

Thanks in advance for your input!

dboy

Reaction score
Hey..I too tried nizoral...and it gave me bad effects too...dry scalp, itchy, acne..red spots...etc.....You can try paul mitchell tea trea shampoo after you use the nizoral...or you can use nioxin shampoo and conditioner.....those seem to help with the itch..........Just use nizoral 1 or 2 x a week...i only do it once a week.....

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
From what I can tell, Nizoral has little to no effect on maintaining hair or growing new hair. It's more about helping your scalp if you need it. If you react badly to the nizoral, don't use it. It's not that important.

Carlos27

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I decided to give nizoral another shot last night. I left it on for a few minutes and then immediately conditioned my hair. I haven't had much of an adverse reaction to it in the 12 hours or so since but my hair doesn't feel too soft at the moment.

I think I'll try to mix it in once a week moving forward as long as it doesn't cause massive itchiness & irritation.

Also, I looked into Nioxin as mentioned and saw that there are a bunch of different "numbered systems". Since I have a mostly thick head of hair I'm curious if anyone knows if it'd be bad for my mostly healthy hair to use the #2 system for "noticeably thinning" hair? Their web site suggested system #5 for my hair type. Thoughts?

Carlos27

Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on the best Nioxin number system to go with if I have a mostly full head of thick hair and a slightly receding hairline at the temples? Anyone who's used these before and can share you experiences with that shampoo & conditioner would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!