Trying 2% Minoxidil Instead Of 5%? Help

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Is there anyone here who is using 2% minoxidil instead of 5%+? What have your results been like?

Reason I'm asking is because I had side effects to 5% 2x/day and I want to know if anyone here has had success with 2%.

Also what are you opinions on 5% 1x/day compared to 2% 2x/day, or even 1x/day? I really need to try minoxidil again to see if it works because my hair loss is becoming quite bad.

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard a once a day application of 5% is fine because of the half life and the twice a day suggested was to get people buying more, don’t quote me on that though.

I use 5% once a day anyway, I’m unsure about the 2%.

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard a once a day application of 5% is fine because of the half life and the twice a day suggested was to get people buying more, don’t quote me on that though.

I use 5% once a day anyway, I’m unsure about the 2%.
Thanks.

Found studies:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21700360
2% 2x/day is as good as 5% 1x/day. (in women)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12196747
5% 2x/day vs 2% 2x/day. 5% had 45% more hair regrowth compared to 2%. (in men)

Conclusions:
2x/day is a lot better than 1x/day (at same %) and/or men are very poor responders to 2%.

I think the best course of action for me is gonna be 2% 1x/day for 1-2 months, then upping it to 2x/day or using just 5% 1x/day. I'm just really trying to avoid the sides I got last time.

The 22 hour half life is interesting actually. Maybe 5% 1x/day would have less side effects 2% 2x/day because it isn't building up. Obviously 5% 1x/day would have less sides than 5% 2x/day also.

Sam1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What were your sides on 5% ? I got heart palpitations my heart rate was extremely elevated. I had to stop unfortunately.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I would test out 2% once a day to see if I get sides. If no sides, I would then use it twice a day to check if I could also tolerate that. If so, then I know I could always fallback to that if I need to. The question you asked about how effective would 2% minoxidil be is important.

@Trichosan What is your opinion on the effectiveness of 2% minoxidil?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi. Is there anyone here who is using 2% minoxidil instead of 5%+? What have your results been like?

Reason I'm asking is because I had side effects to 5% 2x/day and I want to know if anyone here has had success with 2%.

Also what are you opinions on 5% 1x/day compared to 2% 2x/day, or even 1x/day? I really need to try minoxidil again to see if it works because my hair loss is becoming quite bad.

What kind of side effects did you have ?
If you had heart palpitations you just need to stick with it, the body will adjust to it after a time, or you can start slowly increasing the dose

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of side effects did you have ?
If you had heart palpitations you just need to stick with it, the body will adjust to it after a time, or you can start slowly increasing the dose
Yeah I had heart palpitations. Very strong heart beats that felt pretty uncomfortable, especially when I laid down. Sorry but I don't believe in this "riding it out" mentality at all.

Sam1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I had heart palpitations. Very strong heart beats that felt pretty uncomfortable, especially when I laid down. Sorry but I don't believe in this "riding it out" mentality at all.

I couldn’t agree more!

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same issue with 5%. I could tolerate 2%, but I quit after 2 weeks. I didn't want to keep putting that amount of effort for something that might not work or possibly worsen my hair. Hopefully someone will comment on the 2% minoxidil effectiveness.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I see this advice from hair transplant surgeons.. its not my invention. I would try since the difference in results between 2 and 5% its not little.

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see this advice from hair transplant surgeons.. its not my invention. I would try since the difference in results between 2 and 5% its not little.
It's true that it goes away for some people. I have an underlying condition so I can't take that chance.

Because some people can't tolerate 5% minoxidil it would be nice to have people who use/used/have experience with 2% minoxidil to let us know if it would even be worth using 2% and their experience with it.

45% regrowth difference between 5% and 2% is a lot. But some regrowth is better than nothing, especially if the shedding stages and sides can be avoided by using 2% minoxidil.

"In men with Androgenetic Alopecia, 5% topical minoxidil was clearly superior to 2% topical minoxidil and placebo in increasing hair regrowth, and the magnitude of its effect was marked (45% more hair regrowth than 2% topical minoxidil at week 48). Men who used 5% topical minoxidil also had an earlier response to treatment than those who used 2% topical minoxidil."

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's true that it goes away for some people. I have an underlying condition so I can't take that chance.

Because some people can't tolerate 5% minoxidil it would be nice to have people who use/used/have experience with 2% minoxidil to let us know if it would even be worth using 2% and their experience with it.

45% regrowth difference between 5% and 2% is a lot. But some regrowth is better than nothing, especially if the shedding stages and sides can be avoided by using 2% minoxidil.

"In men with Androgenetic Alopecia, 5% topical minoxidil was clearly superior to 2% topical minoxidil and placebo in increasing hair regrowth, and the magnitude of its effect was marked (45% more hair regrowth than 2% topical minoxidil at week 48). Men who used 5% topical minoxidil also had an earlier response to treatment than those who used 2% topical minoxidil."

I understand man , i think the response is different for each person but personally for me it was magic. At that time i even wasnt on finasteride..only minoxidil 2% at night and nizoral eod..it gave some incredible regrowth that it made me doubt if im really prone to hair loss lol

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand man , i think the response is different for each person but personally for me it was magic. At that time i even wasnt on finasteride..only minoxidil 2% at night and nizoral eod..it gave some incredible regrowth that it made me doubt if im really prone to hair loss lol
I didn't know that you used 2%. Did you shed in the beginning or while using it? Are you still using it?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that you used 2%. Did you shed in the beginning or while using it? Are you still using it?
I dont remember bro it was in 2015 and i didnt pay so much attention to my hairs at that time..i just put the liquid first go to sleep and thats all.
No..it gave me an allergic reaction so i cant use it anymore

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

Found studies:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21700360
2% 2x/day is as good as 5% 1x/day. (in women)

5% 2x/day vs 2% 2x/day. 5% had 45% more hair regrowth compared to 2%. (in men)

Conclusions:
2x/day is a lot better than 1x/day (at same %) and/or men are very poor responders to 2%.

I think the best course of action for me is gonna be 2% 1x/day for 1-2 months, then upping it to 2x/day or using just 5% 1x/day. I'm just really trying to avoid the sides I got last time.

The 22 hour half life is interesting actually. Maybe 5% 1x/day would have less side effects 2% 2x/day because it isn't building up. Obviously 5% 1x/day would have less sides than 5% 2x/day also.
what were your sides?

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Any new experiences on this topic? I was debating trying 2% because I believe 5% is causing me some light-headedness. I'm using min morning and night, so maybe I should just reduce to once daily and see what happens.

The topical I use is 5% Kirkland min with 15mg Proscar added for a 0.025% solution.

blue16

My Regimen
Reaction score
Curious as well. Started getting heart palpitations months after starting Rogaine, so I feel like it's unlikely to be the main cause. I haven't discontinued use yet, and they have improved, but not fully gone away yet. Looking for any insight on how long/quickly the side effects developed after beginning minoxidil.