Tryin To Reduce Minoxidil Dosage Without Completely Losing Ground

PK26

My Regimen
Reaction score
Backstory: 25, have had a mildly receding hairline and overall thinning since 18, but very slow moving. Decided to go on Minoxidil at 22. Started with Rogaine foam, then moved to Kirkland liquid. Got great results. Hair line “hardened” so to speak, and the temples grew in a bit more, in addition to generally increased thickness. Over time I started ramping up the dosage, being fairly happy with the results I was getting, eventually getting to the point where I was applying 3x a day, over my entire scalp, and massaged into my temples, one of the applications being immediately after showering. This went on for probably around 7-8 months, albeit with intermittent “f*** it” days where I skipped. I was probably using 3.5 - 5 ml or more per application. This, turns out, was overdoing it, and I started having heart palps a few months ago. Didn’t make the connection that the minoxidil could be the culprit until recently. I am taking a break from the stuff just to confirm, but I’m on day 3 of none, and my palps seem to have disappeared.

I am not soured on the stuff. I was dumb and overdid it with the applications and dosage, and I’m not gonna blame minoxidil for it unless I start again at a lower dosage and continue to have the palps. Plan is to restart at the recommended 2 ml over two applications a day, maybe slightly more to cover my scalp and hairline, and avoid applying it to wet hair. I also started .5 mg finasteride a few days ago as well, and am going to start s5 cream when my order comes in.

Getting to the point: in the long term, will the bumping down to a regular dose of the Rogaine be a fatal blow to my hair, given the dosage I’ve gotten it used to, and will adding the finasteride and s5 help cushion the blow?

inmyhead

Reaction score
Use dermaroller, try to apply as least as possible - so that some minoxidil doesn't run to the sides of your head - because you don't need it there anyways. It is possible to use 2 ml to cover whole scalp.