Try Finasteride?

dcb144

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post :) I'm 20 years old, and definitely not bald yet. For my entire life I've had pretty thin hair, and within the last year or so I've noticed very slight thinning between the top and sides, which will eventually disappear I'm assuming and cause a receding hairline. I've been using rogaine foam for about 6 months and nizoral 1% shampoo for about mmmm 8 days :D Since I started the rogaine I definitely haven't lost any hair and may have regrown a little on my temples. What I'm wondering is, should I start using finasteride? If so, should I talk to my doctor first? How much should I take and most importantly, will this effect my girlfriend? :hump:

Thanks guys!
Dan

Rashan

Reaction score
I remember when I was 20 years old, it was May of 1998 and like you my hair was starting to thin out fast, especially on the crown area. male pattern baldness runs in my family, and I wanted to keep every strand of hair that I had to avoid looking like them. Finasteride was a fairly new drug, just under a year old and I made the decision to take it. 1 mg everyday was my regimen and 13 years later I can tell you I'm glad I made that decision. I've kept the vast majority of my hair (about 90%) since my teenage days. Although my crown area is still somewhat thin, I look a LOT better than my dad was when he was my age (He was an NW4).

As far as whether you should try Finasteride or not, thats only a question you can answer. Are you prepared to deal with the possible side effects if any? For me, it was a rather large decrease in libido which took years to fully dissapate. Although I must say it did become stronger as the years went by until my sex drive was in full force. For me, it was definately worth it, and i would do it all over in a hearbeat!

Christensen

Reaction score
Definitely go on Finasteride!
Keeping your hair by taking measures now, is a lot easier than trying to regrow it. If you can get your doctor to prescribe it, get the 5 mg tablets: they're the same price as the 1 mg tablets, will are more efficacious.

dcb144

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Yea I think I'm definitely going to move forward with 1mg. Where can I buy it online? I heard somewhere that someone got finasteride ridiculously cheap but I can't find it anymore. And would I need a prescription?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
http://www.4rx.com/online-pharmacy/cate ... pecia.html

I've been taking Finasteride from them for the last 3 years. My hair loss went from 200 hairs a day to about 25, so I know it wasn't just a sugar pill or something like that. They have online support for questions, and they told me this: "We have more than one supplier for the same medication and we ship out according to the availability of the stock. We carry generic Propecia manufactured by GenPharma, Sunrise, Cipla and Intas Lab Pvt."

If you're worried about budget, then I would suggest going for 90 1mg caps first. If you don't have a problem with sides then make your next order the 5mg caps and you can quarter them (1.25mg) to save some money.

2 money saving tips if you go there...
1: Let's say you want 90 caps. Add the 30 caps to your cart instead. It will take you to a checkout page, but it will also give you a chance to upgrade your order to 90 pills for $7 cheaper. Same goes for if you want to get 360, add 180 to your cart first

2: Use the promo code Q52EM37T during checkout for another 10% off. That's my promo code that I got for being a return customer, so feel free to use it :)

Here's my story, so you know that I'm trying to sell you on the product...not the website :)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65594

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Rashan said:
I remember when I was 20 years old, it was May of 1998 and like you my hair was starting to thin out fast, especially on the crown area. male pattern baldness runs in my family, and I wanted to keep every strand of hair that I had to avoid looking like them. Finasteride was a fairly new drug, just under a year old and I made the decision to take it. 1 mg everyday was my regimen and 13 years later I can tell you I'm glad I made that decision. I've kept the vast majority of my hair (about 90%) since my teenage days. Although my crown area is still somewhat thin, I look a LOT better than my dad was when he was my age (He was an NW4).

As far as whether you should try Finasteride or not, thats only a question you can answer. Are you prepared to deal with the possible side effects if any? For me, it was a rather large decrease in libido which took years to fully dissapate. Although I must say it did become stronger as the years went by until my sex drive was in full force. For me, it was definately worth it, and i would do it all over in a hearbeat!
Dude this is really interesting. I wholeheartedly agree that Propecia will help maintain hair well beyond the point of when you would normally thin out badly.

Can you please detail as best you can what you meant exactly by low libido? Was it an ED thing? Or just less desire to have sex? etc. Are you saying despite this rather scary obstacle you still stuck with it and that you now have a normal sex drive and no ED issues?

I say ask this because when I experiencd my ED issue this year I got right off Propecia. I had been on it for 7 yrs 1 mg every day. I had an ED issue out of nowhere in early April. I have not gone back to the drug and my ED issue recovered one week after stopping propecia. I was blissfully unaware of ED issues before I had my only ever ED issue.

Rashan

Reaction score
StoptheMadness.
I would say it was a combination of ED and less desire to have sex (although the ED issue was more eminent). It took many years (at least 5-6) before I was back to normal. There were long stretches that went for months where my libido was so low I had almost zero desire to have sex. ED was an even bigger issue since that streched out even longer. I remember trying to have sex a few times during those years and not being able to get it up (f*cking embarrasing as hell). Yeah, I paid a heavy price (my early 20's sex life wasted), but keeping my hair was my number one priority. And yes, I have a completely normal sex life now (jerk it everyday at least once) with no ED issues.

Reaction score
dcb144 said:
Hi all,

My first post :) I'm 20 years old, and definitely not bald yet. For my entire life I've had pretty thin hair, and within the last year or so I've noticed very slight thinning between the top and sides, which will eventually disappear I'm assuming and cause a receding hairline. I've been using rogaine foam for about 6 months and nizoral 1% shampoo for about mmmm 8 days :D Since I started the rogaine I definitely haven't lost any hair and may have regrown a little on my temples. What I'm wondering is, should I start using finasteride? If so, should I talk to my doctor first? How much should I take and most importantly, will this effect my girlfriend? :hump:

Thanks guys!
Dan

If its working for you already, keep it up! If it aint broken dont fix it. you should stay away from propecia.. http://www.propeciasideeffects.com/ Just look at that video. IM 17 and im absolutly terrified of its effects. If the rogain foam is working already, keep using it. you are absolutly blessed to already have results :)

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Don't watch that video. All it's going to do is freak you out for no reason. It's not a guarantee that you'll get sides. If you are in the VAST minority and do get sides, then just stop the medication. If you are in the VAST MAJORITY, then they'll stop within a month or less. You have less than a 1-1000 chance of getting sides that stick around. Those are some damn good odds. The odds of you dying in a car accident at some point in your life is 1-100...and yet I GUARANTEE you that everyone on this board will still drive to work every day.

Don't freak out needlessly.

dcb144

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for ALL the replies and help! Yea, I went ahead and ordered finasteride a few minutes after I made the post. I've done a lot, a lot of research and got 1mg pills that should be here any day now. I'm not really the kind of guy who worries over the slightest chances of negative side effects, especially since I'm going to be taking the smallest dosage. Also, to be honest, lowering my libido even half way wouldn't affect me too much hahaha.

So again, thanks everyone you're really helpful. Wish me luck!

Dan

Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
Don't watch that video. All it's going to do is freak you out for no reason. It's not a guarantee that you'll get sides. If you are in the VAST minority and do get sides, then just stop the medication. If you are in the VAST MAJORITY, then they'll stop within a month or less. You have less than a 1-1000 chance of getting sides that stick around. Those are some damn good odds. The odds of you dying in a car accident at some point in your life is 1-100...and yet I GUARANTEE you that everyone on this board will still drive to work every day.

Don't freak out needlessly.

although you have a small chance of developing the symptons, you can still be greatly affected. I agree, if you are part of those minority of people who experience the symptons just stop the medication? Well if you stop, the symptons still exist afterwards and thats what messed up peoples lives.

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Rashan said:
It took many years (at least 5-6) before I was back to normal.
Just to be clear, you never stopped taking propecia 1mg/day, uninterupted? If that is the case, how did you mentally stick with it and pop a pill each day knowing it probably was the cause of the ED?

Rashan

Reaction score
StoptheMadness said:
Rashan said:
Just to be clear, you never stopped taking propecia 1mg/day, uninterupted? If that is the case, how did you mentally stick with it and pop a pill each day knowing it probably was the cause of the ED?

Correct, I NEVER stopped taking propecia uninterupted. For me, having hair was more important than maintaining my libido or dealing with ED. The way I dealt with it was knowing that my libido was coming back very slowly, but surely as time past. As the years went on, I noticed my sex drive was getting stronger and stronger, so I had just hoped that eventually my ED would issue would dissipate. Now at the age of 33, I can say without a doubt I dont feel any of the side effects of finasteride.

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Rashan said:
StoptheMadness said:
Rashan said:

Correct, I NEVER stopped taking propecia uninterupted. For me, having hair was more important than maintaining my libido or dealing with ED. The way I dealt with it was knowing that my libido was coming back very slowly, but surely as time past. As the years went on, I noticed my sex drive was getting stronger and stronger, so I had just hoped that eventually my ED would issue would dissipate. Now at the age of 33, I can say without a doubt I dont feel any of the side effects of finasteride.
I don't think you quite know how amazing your story is. I think it could be ground breaking if in fact you had total or even partial ED and recovered while still on finasteride.

To all those people who have or think they have ED/libido issues from finasteride, they could look to your story for hope (I guess). It's counter intuitive for someone who has real ED to stick with the drug (i'm not talking symptoms, I'm talking full blown ED).

I wonder how many people on finasteride who had ED actually did what you did??!! I have never heard of them.

Rashan

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I dont know of any other people either. I had this same conversation with my doctor, and he told me everyone who experienced ED simply got off the drug. I dont know anyone who's been on the drug as long as I have (13 years+) and experienced ED, simply because dealing with it wasn't worth it. All our bodies react differently, and thankfully I was fortunate. But who knows, maybe the ED issue might come to haunt me at a later period in my life.