TRX-2.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What is everyones general thoughts on TRX-2?
The product being developed by Thomas Whitfield..

Do you guys think it's going to be another snake oil or maybe just another topical anti-androgen?

He's made some bold remarks , claiming he will cure hair loss and it will be cheap and effective. Do you guys think this product will actually be availible in 12 months? Doesn't it need to go through the FDA trials?

I know most people think that it will be just another over-hyped dissapointment , but I have high expectations for this..

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He has the credentials (Oxford PhD I believe?)

Sounds too good to be true though, and is far too vague for my liking.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well it isn't patented yet so he can't really shed light on the treatment yet.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My guess it it'll be a treatment which helps...along the lines of Super Zix or Revivogen.

So, possibly effective. But not the cure he's been pretty much claiming it is.

bababooey

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea 12 months to market is way too short for a serious FDA approved drug.
At best it is a new delivery method for minoxidil or finasteride. Most likely what Fundi said, revivogen....LOL revivogen .....:laugh:

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
The guy has updated his website since my last visit.
I am sure that there is a secret behind it.
I hope sooo :(

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes , he has updated it quite a few times now. It looks a lot more professional then it used to but still nothing exceptional.

http://trx2.com/

It states that it's products and services will be availible soon. After some thinking I'm now quite pessimistic on the outcome of this. When I hear "Products and Services" I think products like custom minoxidil formulations and when I think of services I see Hair transplants etc. He states that his service doe's not rely on gene modification either.
He believes it will be availible to the public within 12 months which implys it hasn't been through FDA trials. He claims it will cure hair loss , would a potential cure for millions of people be able to skip FDA trials? I don't think so.

Unfortuenaly I've come to a conclusion that I should not expect this product/service to be of any help to me. If he doe's manage to cure Male pattern Balness I will use the product. Since I will not know until he releases it to the public then I will forget about it till then. I recommend you guys do the same. If it has avoided FDA trials then it is already availible to us probably in a different form. My guess is that it will be expensive and ineffective unfortuenatly. I'll just wait and hope for the best.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's his short bio from the Kauffman Foundation webpage:

"Thomas Whitfield is a DPhil candidate in Biochemistry at Oxford University. Already a successful young entrepreneur, Thomas was the founder of miomi.com, which has received funding in excess of 1 million GBP. His newest venture is a revolutionizing hair loss treatment incorporating innovative biochemical technology. A scientist by training, Thomas is eager to hone his knowledge of business, particularly finance and law. He is most interested in learning from a venture capital firm, particularly in understanding how they evaluate and support high risk start ups."

I don't know what to think of this...
On the one hand, it has scam/snake oil written all over it.
On the other hand, the guy has a degree from a respected school and is making money on other ventures, so why put his reputation on the line for a couple of bucks? If he doesn't have anything, then he's out for a quick buck for reasons that I don't understand. I mean, if you're already successful... Why would you ruin your business reputation? It seems like he has a lot on the line.

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
One thing I learned over the years at the university is that the best researchers really have no clue about managing and money, they just drive on passion and curiosity. And, if he is a scam, he really have bummed out on timing. No half-*** investors are throwing away money the next couple of years.:hump:

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just seems to me like he's not your typical snake oil salesman, i.e. he has too much to lose. But, it probably is a scam. Effective treatments/cures for baldness aren't happening anytime soon...

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't reckon it is a scam , I believe it's either a existing/different treatment that will be as or less effective as the best existing treatment. Don't but too much hope into this , he's seems to be more a salesman than a hairloss cure.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Fundi said:
My guess it it'll be a treatment which helps...along the lines of Super Zix or Revivogen.

So, possibly effective. But not the cure he's been pretty much claiming it is.

A "cure" probably won't be around in any of our lifetimes.
That said, the difference between a cure and an effective treatment is minimal, at least to someone who's an NW7. I guess the difference is $$$. A cure would be a one time fix, a treatment is something continuous. There is no "cure" for cancer, buy plenty of people survive many different types of cancer.
A treatment that is effective enough to turn an NW7 into Elvis, but is not a cure, would be acceptable to most. I don't think this guy has that treatment. I don't think that treatment will be around in less than 10 years.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
I don't reckon it is a scam , I believe it's either a existing/different treatment that will be as or less effective as the best existing treatment. Don't but too much hope into this , he's seems to be more a salesman than a hairloss cure.

I agree, but like I said earlier, he doesn't fit the bill of a salesman. Most salesmen don't bother with Oxford PhD's, and they aren't connected to seemingly reputable institutions. I think its this guys background that makes me think it may be more than nothing. Clearly, the guy has ambitions, and has the training to back it up. Why risk throwing it all away by making false claims. He's a long way from the guy with the crappy transplant selling body purifiers on late night TV. Whitfield has a lot more to lose.

eprparadox

Reaction score
this is my post from another board:

My guess is that he is going to combine nonyldeoxynojirimycin (aka nonyl DNJ) or another iminosugar with or w/o minoxidil. He will also probably put it inside a liposome.

Iminosugars can block the p7 ion channel.

See Thomas Whitfields (only?) publication as a PhD student:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 7/abstract

And his advisor's webpage Figure 3:
http://www.bioch.ox.ac.uk/aspsite/resea ... /Zitzmann/

in case you're wondering where you can get DNJ, it is also apparently known as moranoline and is contained in things such as mulberry extract. theres already a patent on it: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5674497/claims.html

but who knows if it really works. it could be that the DNJ compound is more concentrated and better isolated. The one used in Whitfields paper was purchased here: http://www.trc-canada.com/details.php?CatNumber=N649900. $140 for 5mg.

another interesting use for DNJs is for male contraception. The dosage they use is ~1g/kg/day. That would be huge for a human. So probably this "side effect" would not be prevalent at small dosages applied in a topical.

See:
Reversible infertility in male mice after oral administration of alkylated imino sugars: A nonhormonal approach to male contraception

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... tid=139288

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the info!

Could someone please explain why this would/wouldn't be effective for those of us who aren't exactly educated on this stuff?

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've used acne cream for the last 14 years... So I'm used to sticking to treatments.
If he had something that actually worked (i.e. not minoxidil), and didn't need to be applied 2x daily, I'd be down. If it's $100 a month for something that doesn't work... well... he'll make a few thousand dollars and be done with it.
My opinion is nothing will ever be released, this will just sort of fade away.