Trichophytic Closure Technique

Reaction score
Damo?

Damo - Do you know if any Australia doctors are using this technique?

According to SpexFellers post it was introduced by an Australian doctor in the late 90`s to very little fanfair.

I`d be interested to find out what Jennifer Martinick thinks.

pettermully

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had a Tricho closure done, by Dr. Rahal 3 1/2 weeks ago, it's amazing, i've posted some pics one another forum of the scar after 3 weeks, let me know what you think, and yes if you ask those are hairs growing in the scar line, so far the reaction has been amazing, and i know there are some other patients of Dr. Rahal posting some scar pics which ar just as impresive. i will definatly keep you guys posted with more updates.

fullpic.jpg

closeup.jpg

Peter[/img]

G

Dr. Glenn Charles used to be with the Shapiro Medical Group but he's been in his own practice in South Florida for awhile now.

Both Drs. Ron Shapiro and Paul Rose perform it as well. Dr. Rose utilizes a method he calls the "ledge closure technique" whereby the skin tissue at the suture line is beveled so that the hair follicules in the underlying lip will grow up and through the suture line. This method not only strengthens the closure but also hides the thin scar. :wink:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
OMG, what scar?

That's absolutely amazing! Thanks for the post!

Wow... truly amazed here.

G

The quality of those two pics are excellent. The thing I am wondering is that you said you had 2813 grafts done 3 1/2 weeks ago right? That's going to be a sizeable amount of tissue extracted both in length and width. In 26 years I have never seen a sutured area heal that fast! I mean there's no redness whatsoever and the epidermis looks completely smooth at the suture line. Even patients that use post-op healing products still don't heal "that fast". Normally a sutured area would not look that good until at least one year post-op including that much regrowth through the suture line.

pettermully

Reaction score
Thanks guys, well im not sure what to say, there are still scabs on those pics, i had the stitches removed a week prior to those pictures, it is pretty amazing, I’ve seen other and nothing quite like this scar, i asked Dr. Rahal and he did the tricho closure, but he had also mentioned he does it a little differently, more like he improved on it this might be one reason for the scar looking the way it does, i've seen a few other he has done and after a few weeks they are amazing looking...

jeffsss, im not sure since im not a doctor, but it has something do to with the way he sutures and makes the incision, i guess instead of leaving a scar with no hair growth in it, this technique actually is like a joint, so when he sutures it back it's almost seamless.

Peter

pettermully

Reaction score
Im hoping to get some new pictures taken sometime this week, im at 4 weeks and 2 days now, so as soon as i get them i will post them for sure...

G

You undoubtedly will have more growth through the scar since this is only a month or so post-op.

G

My experience with the trichophytic closure is that it often produces a very nice result in the midline, but the benefit laterally and above the ears is not nearly as good. In some instances, the benefit altogether is exceedingly limited. I was a little surprised how well it can work in the mid-line. It does not resolve the radial pattern disruption caused by strip harvesting. This disruption is potential most noticeable supra-auricularly. Here the superior hair is angled inferiorly and anteriorly while the inferior hair is angled inferiorly and posteriorly. Removal of the natural radial transition hair in the middle results in an unnatural appearing part. Furthermore, the hair superiorly is often deeper pigmented and coarser while the inferior hairs are often finer with less pigment. This can result in an unnatural abrupt transition when the buffer hairs in between are excised totally. Similar problems can result in the posterior or mid-occipital regions of the scalp.

I find 1 mm scars are uncommon. 1 to 2 mm wide scars are most common. 3 mm wide scars happen frequently. 5mm wide scars can occur most likely in those with variants of ehlors danlos, which can occur in 1 out of 10 individuals. Scars above 5 mm are indicative of poor technique or are iatrogenic complications. Tight scalps particularly of northern European descent with lighter colored hair are least prone to wide scars, while darker colored coarse, curly haired Mediterraneans are most pre-disposed to wider scars.

Rgds Damo

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Damien your sounding less like an idiot by the day. Remember folks you must have your scars clasified. Damo is over the moon with his. wANNA JOIN THE CLUB..

G

Warnie its a combination of information i got from Dr Martnick and alot of research i put into it looking up the internet etc.I also know quite abit about it as i have had the closure myself done at my last procedure in May 2005.

Damo