Trials, Failures, And Success Of My Hairloss Battle

Gxm100

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - just here to share the story of my 3 year hair loss battle. I will be attaching pictures later on once I can find the best ones. Okay so here we go....

ABOUT ME: male hair loss sufferer aged 24.5. I first really noticed my hair loss at the start of my senior year of college at 21 but upon inspection of older pics I've realized the signs were there since I was 18. I have temple recession and thinning in the frontal forelock, with no loss at the crown. In all my hairline has been receding for approximately the past 6.5 years.

STORY: I first became painfully aware of my hair loss on the day that I moved in for my senior year of college and my roommate, who hadn't seen me in 3 months, made a comment about my thinning. Over the next several months I became increasingly frustrated with my hair as it got worse and worse and more and more people started noticing. Having read many articles online, my first line of defense was to cut my hair short (down to a 2 guard clipper). As it turns out this actually may NOT be the best piece of advice if you are a receded, not a diffuse thinner. All the hair cut did was highlight my recession, draw more comments from people about my hairloss, and create an embarrassing couple of months while it grew long again.

This hair cut inspired me to take further action because I had not noticed just how bad it was previously. At this point I started on Rogaine 5% and stuck with it for a little under 1 year. I had limited to no success as far as regrowth, it maybe slowed the loss a little but not much.

The following summer, I went abroad for several months and abandoned rogaine altogether. Over this time my hair loss certainly became worse, and once I returned home in the fall I decided to give Toppik a shot. I was astonished at how well it worked for me! I stuck with toppik and toppik only for approximately 5 more months (that's 8 months consecutive with no hair loss defenses).

Finally, in March of 2016, I took the jump into the world of finasteride 1mg daily. I had read that it may cause you to shed, and man oh man did I shed. I was freaked out beyond all belief, but I was determined to stick with it for at least a year and assess my results at that point. I had no side effects from the meds and after about 3 months the shedding stopped. I've now been on finasteride for about a year and 4 months and I have to say the results shocked me. My hair loss stopped, my hair thickened a significant bit, and I was feeling good. I should note I've still been using toppik but seeming to need less and less.

About 4 months ago - 1 year after starting finasteride - I decided to add rogaine 5% back in to my regimen. I didn't pay too much attention to my results but about a week ago, I hopped out of the shower and was mind blown to see that my hair didn't look all that thin! Certainly not full density but better than it had looked in years!

This week, I've gone to work, hung out with my girlfriend, my family, and my friends without toppik and no one has so much as looked twice at my hair. No one seems to notice! In about another 4 months I'll assess my progress and add in ketoconazole shampoo as my last step.

TAKEAWAYS: First off, I feel so relieved to be out from under the pressure of the toppik and worrying about whether or not people can tell. Second, I wish that I had started Finasteride as soon as I noticed my hair loss. I'm not saying it isn't something to treat with caution, but if you're serious about stopping loss, I am a testament that it can work. Third, I believe using rogaine before using finasteride had almost 0 effect, but using it in combo has yielded me some (in my own opinion) fantastic results.

Don't get me wrong, my hair isn't like it was when I was 17, and never will be. But if it's good enough that I don't have to feel self conscious about it, then that's good enough for me. This week was the first time in 3 years that I've felt that way, and man does it feel good!

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions for me below!!

MY REGIMEN:
1 mg generic finasteride daily
Rogaine 5% twice daily (sometimes only once double the amount if that's the best I can do)
Biotin supplement

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great story GSM100! It's always great to hear success stories like this...Interesting how much more effective Rogaine Foam was for you once on Finasteride..Im just reinserted Rogaine Foam after having tried it with bad compliance before.. I started going to a new hairdresser and she asked me if I was using any treatments...I said no and she said that,many of her clients have success with it..Honestly,I was kind of surprised to hear that given all the complaining I see on hairloss forums about it...She really spoke highly of her clients results. Im not sure how many of those guys take Fimasteride, but her words were motivation enough for me to give it a try again...I have 1mg generic Finasteride in my cabinet that Im not currently taking...I think all the internet stories keeps me from starting that up again...Funny, I was taking it but still went to get my final refill under the old script...I may consider taking it again every other day.

Gxm100

Reaction score
Great story GSM100! It's always great to hear success stories like this...Interesting how much more effective Rogaine Foam was for you once on Finasteride..Im just reinserted Rogaine Foam after having tried it with bad compliance before.. I started going to a new hairdresser and she asked me if I was using any treatments...I said no and she said that,many of her clients have success with it..Honestly,I was kind of surprised to hear that given all the complaining I see on hairloss forums about it...She really spoke highly of her clients results. Im not sure how many of those guys take Fimasteride, but her words were motivation enough for me to give it a try again...I have 1mg generic Finasteride in my cabinet that Im not currently taking...I think all the internet stories keeps me from starting that up again...Funny, I was taking it but still went to get my final refill under the old script...I may consider taking it again every other day.

Hey 4myfuture!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah it really was interesting the difference in the levels of success before and after including finasteride. Obviously I would never push you to take a medication that you didn't feel comfortable with, but based around my own personal experience, I would say you will be hard pressed to achieve results without finasteride. The internet stories can be really scary, it's what kept me from it for the longest time. Finally, I asked a friend of mine (also receding) if he had ever heard of it. As it turns out, he takes it as well, so that made me feel much more comfortable with it.

Point is, I think there are a lot more people out there that have success with it that simply are not vocal about it. What we see on forums are people that are pissed off about it being very vocal.

For me, at the very least, using the combo of finasteride and rogaine gives me peace of mind that I know I'm doing all that I can - it's in the hands of the hairloss gods at that point!

soitbegins

My Regimen
Reaction score
i hope to have the same sort of story bro :D i also started regaine first and have now been on finasteride a little over a month!

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% about the internet horror stories..And Im not saying that people dont get these sides, but rather the internet created a vacuum for these stories to dominate. For example, as internet usage became more wide spread, the existence of sides skyrocketed..In my experience, hairloss forums should be taken in moderation...The people that are effectively treating hairloss do not spend hous a day posting about hairloss...In reality, you swallow a pill, you apply foam after brushing your teeth at night..And you move forward...Breaking down the play by play everyday makes it difficult to see any results, leaves you vulnerable overstated failures and horror stories and makes you more likely to slide on compliance...Yes, I believe the deeper you dig into this game, the less likely you are to be compliant to any trestment protocal