Trent's Story

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Short Version:
regimen ==> propecia 1X daily, nizoral once in a while.
sheds ==> at week 3, lasted a few weeks, another around month 3, another around month 6-7.5
noticed hair shedding ==> age 20
noticed hair looking different ==> age 23.
started treatments ==> late august of 2004.
hair loss ==> about a norwood 1.5, with some general diffuse thinning, mostly in the front.
family hair loss ==> very little.

The Story:
At the age of 20 i was studying for an exam in college, when i noticed a lot of hairs on my book. I brushed them aside, and continued my studies. Minutes later, there were more that had replaced them. I became slightly worried about this, but confident nothing was wrong. I mean, no one in my family loses their hair! When it continued, I began asking friends/relatives about it and looking for answers. I tried some rogaine for a bit, stopped using so much gel, and hoped things would settle down. They did, the shedding seemed to stop, and with getting drunk in college, and hooking up on my mind, i eventually forgot about hair loss all together, except for once in a great while when I would check out my hair in the mirror and say, "well, still looks the same, i was imagining it." 3 years later, in august of 2004, I looked in the mirror and saw scalp where no scalp had previously been. I took a second mirror to look at the back, where i was sure there was not problem. I small spot in the back glared at me. I'm not exaggerating, I actually dropped to the floor of my apartment and had what I guess one might call, a mental breakdown. All the joy and hope I had just totally f*****g vanished, and any sense of it that remained I believed I didn't even deserve. I felt i needed to tell SOMEONE, I mean my life had just ended. In desperation, I called my parents, who didn't believe me (there's a novel idea) at first, but eventually I convinced them. I made an appointment at my GP and got on propecia within a few weeks.

The Regimen and the First Three Months:
The first three months were very touch and go. I shed a ton after three weeks, then slowed some, then again, then slowed down. I was constantly wondering, was this making my hair worse? Wait, no, it looks a lot better? right? no, no, its definitely worse. On and on, i treaded through each day, dragging my feet through even minute, completely overtaken and overwhelmed by this stupid thing that was robbing me of my life. I never went out. I began to stop talking, and making jokes, caring about whether or not i lived or died- basically a self-hating lifeless waste of human being took shape where a previously optimistic, easy-going and comedic figure once stood. But, through all the inner monologue "pick me up" lectures that I gave myself, I decided i should have faith in the probability and science of propecia, so I hung in there.

UPDATES:
month 4: hair seems fuller, more hairs coming in. wearing my hair down. Feeling a little more confident. Starting to be about 1/4 of myself rather than a 1/16. still too early though.

month 6: had some major ups and downs between months 4-6, but for the past week, about to end month five and start month 6 my hair is starting to look pretty good. i think i have receeded some, maybe. but, overall thickeness seems to be much better. i think about my hairloss a lot less these days, and i'm starting to live my life semi-normal again, which is a huge success for me. I still have been wearing my hair down, which isn't to my liking, but anything to try and feel normal again.

month 7.5: well, i had a huge relapse around months 6.5-7. I seemed to be shedding a ton, and the hairline was starting to look worse. very depressed. at this point i am still shedding some, and definitely not "completely happy" with my hair, however, I think a lot of my anguish about my hair is based on forgetfulness. I think i actually forget just how bad my hair used to be- in other words, my frame of reference for "sh*t hair" is different than it was seven months ago.
Reasons I feel i have improved:
1) I remember waking up in the morning, with bed head, and just looking like absolute sh*t, and feeling like no one could EVER see me like this. now i wake up and it looks totally fine, unless i go really close up to the mirror, right in front of the light.
2) I have three mirrors in my house, they have degrees of making my hair look the worst to the best. At the start of treatment, even in the best mirror, things looked bad unless i had my hair down. And things looked terrible in the other two. today, I look like i have a totally full head of hair in the "best" one, in my second best mirror, i look like i also have a full head unless I go up super super close and bring the light right over my head, and lately, if i style it right, i look totally normal even in my "worst" mirror in the bathroom.
3) I have new hairs coming in all along my hairline, and I style it like i used to before i had hairloss (spiked up and messy). Why? because it just looks money. My only enemy now, is honestly the direct sunlight on super sunny days, and really bright overhead lights. If i could conquer these in the last 4.5 months of my treatment, i would be completely content with my treatments.

all in all. it takes time gentlemen. It really really does take time. I think you can gather from my story that treatments arefull of huge ups and downs. and you should expect that. The treatments work though, my hair is improving every day, and if you haven't started a regimen, find one that works for you, and just f*****g do it. You'll feel better as soon as you do, know that probability is on your side with both rogaine and propecia. stay positive.

"either get busy living, or get busy dying."

Petchsky

Reaction score
Three months is the earliest you will see results, so its logical. Also, you may be a really good responder to propecia, so congrats on that.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair looks really good today, makes me excited for the future, still getting a little bit of fallout, but also still getting lots of new hairs coming in (even in places where i didn't even know my hairline was ever that low) so i'm optimistic. still looks shitty when wet, but if i use a thickening shampoo you can't really notice unless the wind blows it just the right way. i'll keep everyone posted, i'm crossing my fingers that i won't go through a major shed and go back to square one. :-x

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
What thickening shampoo do you use... I've been looking in to different options.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
its called vitalis, but it took a few days for it to really look any thicker, i also use a shampoo called semodex every other day which is just supposed to cleanse the scalp and make regrowth easier with the treatments. so i use the thickening every other day, semodex the others. most people here use nizoral 3 times a week for the cleansing.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well at 3.5 months now on propecia (and although i know its looked down upon in this forum, saw palmetto and pyogeum supplements), but after a 2 week shed, things are definitely looking up. i have been able to be myself for the last four days (though i have to wear my hair down! i'd much rather be wearing the bed head look i used to have) but i'd rather wear it down and not have the constant worry than to spike it up and worry if each hair is in the right place.

anyway, 3.5, things are looking up right now (fingers crossed) and i can't wait for my six month mark, i'm guessing by then i will only think about hairloss every 2 hours rather than every ten minutes.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats Trent8! With 8.5 more months to go for you to reach your full year on Propecia, you are probably going to have some awesome results! Best wishes.

Axon

Reaction score
I noticed results after 3 months, so it's more than possible.

You're a med student, you should know that putting gel onto the follicle has nothing to do with a hormonal, auto-immune response towards the root by the body. :)

Or maybe that's the price you pay for that godawful hedgehog hair do....MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no i understand that, ha, but i'm sure that if you treat your hair as absolutely shitty as i did for four years, i mean we're talking piling on wax and sh*t and almost never washing it (its sick i know but it always looked good) who knows how that could affect your hair. perhaps it was just a bit of denial of true male pattern baldness that was creeping into my thought process.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Trent! Take some pics for us!

HairLossTalk.com

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
alright, i am going home for xmas and i will, though i'm sorta mad that i didn't take them initially so you can't really see the changes. and since i don't have a digital cam i would have to use the old fashioned ones, i bet the people at the photo development place would be weirded out by a set of pictures of some dude's hair. ha.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the hairs just keep coming!

let see now, i have like one or two pills left in my fourth bottle of propecia, so i'll be getting into month five here shortly. Still getting lots of little hairs in the front, so i can only assume there are others all over my head (at least i'm praying) i am pretty certain these are new ones because the only "new" ones have gone terminal and were so long i had to ((Pluck)) them out (not the best idea) because they were 1 cm in front of my hairline and unsightly. Things are still looking up. The only major complaint i have, is that my hair LOSS still seems to be a little high for my taste. I did a "get a white piece of paper and vigorously massage the scalp for a minute" test and am still getting maybe 10 hairs when i do this, which is still not to my liking (that means DHT is still getting to the hairs), but maybe these are hairs falling out so they can be replaced by all the little ones i see everywhere.

Oh, on another note, its hard to tell, but i actually think my hairline has moved forward some, when i comb my hair back it just looks wider than before, i might even call myself a strong NW1.5 at this point, where as before i was a weaker one, which is great, though i really don't care about the hairline as much as I do getting overall thickness.

anyway, propecia is definitely working for me, and early, so i am quite excited to see my month 6 results. I will try to get some pics up over xmas break.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
pics Trent! pics! :lol:

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
don't have a camera :-( and i forgot to take some when i went home for xmas.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i updated "my story" on the first page, for anyone that gives a rats *** :)

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been quite a while, and i rarely post on here anymore. But, before i pretty much left for good i thought i would let everyone know where i stand, since it is exactly a year today that i started my propecia regimen.

a recap of my "career" as a hairloss obsessor:
3 weeks = shed big time for about two weeks. hair all over the place.
3 months = shedding, but noticed a TON of new hairs in the front 2 inches of my hairline.
6 months = seemed to be some improvement overall, started worrying less about my hairloss.
8 months = freaked out, thought things were worse, though I was also NEVER having shedding or fallout.
10 months = still not losing a single hair, even if i brush my hair for ten minutes over a white piece of paper.
12 months = discovered got2b chaotic putty, use this with some hair spray, hair looks damn good all the time, never have fallout, pretty sure my hair will be where it is now for quite a while.

the absolute truths:
there were days, even in my 10th month, where i thought that propecia wasn't working, where i was sure things weren't getting worse, no bullshit. just ride it out.

patience is, in my opinion, the absolute most important part of the hairloss regimen.

learn everything you can on this site, use this site as an online therapy session while you wait for the ups and downs to pass, then teach it to newbies until your hair gets stabilized, then write a parting success story, and move on with your life.

thanks so much to HairLossTalk.com, tynan, badhairdecade, darkly charming and everyone else who helped me. i'll be checking in from time to time, so if you have any questions, PM me or just reply to this story. peace.

hairloss is the toughest thing i have had to deal with in my life thus far. it killed my confidence, killed my outlook on life and changed my personality. The b**ch of it is, you can't let everyone know why you are so depressed because displaying that you care so much about hairloss makes you seem ill-confident, unmanly, and makes people notice your hairloss more. On the other hand, keeping something that is affecting your life this much really needs to be discussed and talked through, or else you just drive yourself to insanity. You can't win. You get no sympathy from anyone, because people without hairloss just don't understand, and all the guys out there that ARE dealing with this sh*t, and could really help you, are out keeping it to themselves for the same reason you are; therefore you're stuck in this self obsession and self hate without any outlet. But, there's hope. This site gets you the information and the therapeutic outlet that you need to get through this.

trent.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trent said:
Hey guys, its been quite a while, and i rarely post on here anymore. But, before i pretty much left for good i thought i would let everyone know where i stand, since it is exactly a year today that i started my propecia regimen.

a recap of my "career" as a hairloss obsessor:
3 weeks = shed big time for about two weeks. hair all over the place.
3 months = shedding, but noticed a TON of new hairs in the front 2 inches of my hairline.
6 months = seemed to be some improvement overall, started worrying less about my hairloss.
8 months = freaked out, thought things were worse, though I was also NEVER having shedding or fallout.
10 months = still not losing a single hair, even if i brush my hair for ten minutes over a white piece of paper.
12 months = discovered got2b chaotic putty, use this with some hair spray, hair looks damn good all the time, never have fallout, pretty sure my hair will be where it is now for quite a while.

the absolute truths:
there were days, even in my 10th month, where i thought that propecia wasn't working, where i was sure things weren't getting worse, no bullshit. just ride it out.

patience is, in my opinion, the absolute most important part of the hairloss regimen.

learn everything you can on this site, use this site as an online therapy session while you wait for the ups and downs to pass, then teach it to newbies until your hair gets stabilized, then write a parting success story, and move on with your life.

thanks so much to HairLossTalk.com, tynan, badhairdecade, darkly charming and everyone else who helped me. i'll be checking in from time to time, so if you have any questions, PM me or just reply to this story. peace.

hairloss is the toughest thing i have had to deal with in my life thus far. it killed my confidence, killed my outlook on life and changed my personality. The b**ch of it is, you can't let everyone know why you are so depressed because displaying that you care so much about hairloss makes you seem ill-confident, unmanly, and makes people notice your hairloss more. On the other hand, keeping something that is affecting your life this much really needs to be discussed and talked through, or else you just drive yourself to insanity. You can't win. You get no sympathy from anyone, because people without hairloss just don't understand, and all the guys out there that ARE dealing with this sh*t, and could really help you, are out keeping it to themselves for the same reason you are; therefore you're stuck in this self obsession and self hate without any outlet. But, there's hope. This site gets you the information and the therapeutic outlet that you need to get through this.

trent.

bravo! nice one! I hope I can write the same parting message at 12 mos. just like yourself.

Im a little over 3 mos. into treatment and I noticed even at 2 and a half months, my hair was thicker and fuller than it had been in 2 years. The crow has thickened up a bit adn things are closing in.

A nice thick patch of vellus hair on the crown as well. The hairline has new little dark hairs and vellus all over.

I know this is new hair for the fact that I've had this stray non-affected hair about 1/3 inch from my hairline for years and there are now 3 brand new small dark hairs hairs growing up right beside it.

Havent gone through any horrible sheds or anything and I really have nothing bad to report except a slight diffusion on the front-left that came out of nowhere.

On the flip-side, my crappier front-right has thickened up, so looks like it's trading off for a bit. I'm sure that left side is gonna come back in thicker and better though.

So, just because you're leaving HairLossTalk.com, don't leave your treatments! Good luck to you and go out and enjoy life..

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
Trent said:
hairloss is the toughest thing i have had to deal with in my life thus far. it killed my confidence, killed my outlook on life and changed my personality. The b**** of it is, you can't let everyone know why you are so depressed because displaying that you care so much about hairloss makes you seem ill-confident, unmanly, and makes people notice your hairloss more. On the other hand, keeping something that is affecting your life this much really needs to be discussed and talked through, or else you just drive yourself to insanity. You can't win. You get no sympathy from anyone, because people without hairloss just don't understand, and all the guys out there that ARE dealing with this $#iT, and could really help you, are out keeping it to themselves for the same reason you are; therefore you're stuck in this self obsession and self hate without any outlet. But, there's hope. This site gets you the information and the therapeutic outlet that you need to get through this.

trent.

i agree with you 110% and I feel the exact same way. for every strand of hair that falls out, i lose a part of myself and my personality. people say to me that i'm not the same humourous guy that i was a few years ago. my self-esteem and self-confidence had shattered completely. My sister tells me that I am worrying too much about my hairloss, but she doesnt understand, because she is not suffering from this hairloss disease that i have been cursed with. infact, at the peak of my shedding, 3-4 months ago, i felt suicidal and had evil thoughts of killing myself, because I had felt as though my life had ended and that the potential for me to find a decent 'wife' and live a normal life was all out the window.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
oh and thank you very much for keeping us updated with your progess. keep it all up, as i would love to hear about your progress in the next 2-4 months.

that way, it will help us all understand how the hair regrowth cycle works and help us understand why we shed, and for how long and etc. i've learnt alot from your 'story', and it made me understand why i shed so much at certain period.

I wish everyone posted their stories, because it would give us all more confidence in such products.