Transplanting Hairs from Someone Else's Head?

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a few articles and posts on here how hair is immunopriveleged and there is the possibility of transplanting hair from someone else's head to yours. In one study some body hair was transplanted from some man's forearm to a woman's and it grew well.

Are there any updates on this concept? I'd love to have a perfect, thick head of hair one day. If HM can't deliver that, it would be awesome to have the option of going to a third world country and trading some people with super thick heads of hair a ton of money for 1/3 of their density or so.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Why just scalp a corpse with good hair and you'll have great density immediately?

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
Why the hell not? According to a lot of articles, this actually should be a viable alternative for us. It sounds completely ridiculous, but it's possible.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Well in my oppinion if it would be possible people would be already doing it. There is a problem getting a donor match when transplanting organs but hair is hair unless you don't like color or type anyone can qualify.

News2

Established Member
Reaction score
That's right: Hair is immunoprivileged, but the problem is that the surrounding tissue is NOT. Therefore you cannot transplant hair follicles from one person to another, as it is virtually impossible to separate the immunoprivileged follicle from the surrounding tissue (blood vessels etc.).

The case you're referring to is the one of Dr. Colin Jahoda and his wife, Dr. Reynolds. They didn't transplant an entire follicle - just a few cells from the sheaths. You can read about it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/503845.stm