Transplanted Hairs Look Sparse And Some Are Tiny - 3 Months Post-op

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a 5000 graft hair transplant on 21st of August so I'm approaching the 3 month mark next week. I'm on rogaine and finasteride as prescribed.

The thing is I can see the transplanted hairs growing now but I'd say only about 10% of them are actually growing long although even those look very thin. The vast majority of them are staying extremely tiny like they are just barely poking out of the scalp so that you can barely see them and if you touch them they feel like stubble. To the naked eye the areas that I have had my transplant still look as relatively bald as they used to be.

Plus the hairs that I can see look more spaced out than when they looked before I went through the shedding phase. Almost as if a lot of them have shed and not reproduced hair.

Is this just how it is meant to look at this phase and will the hairs that were originally there before shedding start producing more tiny hairs leading to more density? Does it grow in phases so to speak or are the hairs that I see now the final result?

My concern is that the areas that I have had my transplant too will actually look as if they are balding if they are not dense enough but after 5000 grafts I wouldn't think this would be an issue

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
At 3 months post OP you will just begin sprouting your new hair. Everything will still look a mess. Far too early to draw any conclusions.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should be excited to be seeing new hairs coming out at 3 months, that is a good sign. Everything you posted sounds normal for 3 months out.

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should be excited to be seeing new hairs coming out at 3 months, that is a good sign. Everything you posted sounds normal for 3 months out.

Thanks Pequod. I definitely am. I'm just worried if this is the final result. Am I right in assuming that only a certain percent of hairs will come through at this stage and another percent at a later stage and so on and so forth?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's right, you only have about 10% out at this stage. So you should see the other 90% emerge over the next 6 months. An early growth is a good sign that the transplant was most likely a success.