Transplant Question - Hair length in target area

GeminiX

Reaction score
Feels like I've been here before, but after 12+ months of little to no noticeable change I think I can safely say that I'm not getting any fresh regrowth due to medication.

My hairline definately needs more work, especially on the temples and I could probably use a boost around the crown area (not essential, but in strong overhead lighting, it's possible to see a hint of scalp).

I have a question for folk with more experience than me in hair transplant, is it possible to have a transplant procedure where the area to recieve grafts already has quite a lot of hair? What I want to avoid is having to shave / clip the area I want some extra hair.

Any ideas?

s.a.f

Reaction score
If you're talking about dense packing an area then shaving down would be essential especialy since your hair is long it would just be impossible for a surgeon to work with. And theres always a good chance that you will see some shockloss either temporary or permanant so in other words you'll have to sacrice looking worse for a while in order to look better later.

Petchsky

Reaction score
It's not unusual to see a bit of scalp at the crown, depends what it looks like...

Some good docs abroad will do up to 2000 grafts without shaving, may charge you a bit extra, depends who you see, don't know about UK docs

GeminiX

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll book a consult with Dr. Rogers who did my previous transplant, but as before, I'll do some research with some of the overseas clinics too.

@Petch, are you aware of anyone in particular who could do a procedure like this? I'm thinking 3,500 grafts; 1,000+ to finish the temples and hairline and 2,000 as fill elsewhere. That should see me done with transplants, and with "other" surgery lined up in the near future, an end to Avodart and Andtocur too :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
Yeah sure. I used Dr Feller who is one of the best without doubt, he can do big sessions 4000+, Dr Ron Shipiro is also a very talented, and also Hasson and Wong who have done successful transplants of 7000 grafts. These for me are the three best, i'm sure SAF would agree also.

Although you have used Dr Rodgers in the past and you're happy, he is not in the same league as these guys, and your final session could really put the icing on the cake so to speak.

If America is a bit far there are also some great docs in Belgium of all places, Dr Devroye, Dr Ferrundi, don't know how many grafts in one session they can pull off though, but the top 3 above can do amazing things. :)

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi GeminiX,

Dr. Rahal has performed surgeries over 5000 grafts and IMO is the best for hairline work.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Cheers, I'll contact all the names listed here (don't mind travel if it's worth the effort, the other surgery I want is spread over three continents too).

s.a.f

Reaction score
HDC in Cyprus are quite good and I believe they dont insist on shaving down but theres agreeing to work on hair thats 1-2 inches long but I doubt you'll find anyone who'll work with longer hair than that.

Ps I know you'r happy with your previous Rogers work but if its high density natural looking (ie the finished result and not just put some hair on my bald head) that you want he just is'nt capable of that standard.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Cheers again for the information.

I have very long hair now, but I can probably disguise a shorter area with some creative styling for while. I don't think I could do much about a shaved area, but short should be doable.

xixi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you all use estrofem? Why not use Estradiol valerate? Estradiol valerate is also a natural estrogen. Why is nobody using it? Who can tell me? My English is not good, I come from China. ____________