Transplant for NW6?

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking if someone were an NW6, couldn't they transplant enough hairs to make them NW3 with decent density? Seems to make much more sense then giving a person with that severe hair loss an NW1 hairline with really shitty density.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
It is impossible to give a NW6 patient a NW1 hairline (without looking like cartoon character, literaly).

For a NW6 best possible result would be good NW3.5 or maybe thin NW3 at most best. That is using regular FUE, without BHT.
With BHT and bit of luck, it is possible to go from NW6 to even NW1.5-2, with decent density.

Free

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree and disagree with the above posts. You can achieve decent result in Norwood 6 cases depending to the following:

-the pattern of the head (small, big, bigger)
-if you have lost all of your hair in the bald area of your scalp or if you have some, even fluffy hair, which can help the result or can become stronger using a therapy (ie big 3)
-also depends on your donor area (if for example you have many multi-haired grafts)
-and of course, if you are ready to extract and implant some of your body hairs (and especially beard hairs).

All the above gave me a very good result in my hair transplant made by DHI (which was a Norwood 6 pattern case). See my thread for photos: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71604
(I am trying to upload some more pictures but I get this message all the time: “…Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached…â€￾ so you can only see some pictures there, or you can visit my thread in the Greek forum, in which I am also posting.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Free said:
I agree and disagree with the above posts. You can achieve decent result in Norwood 6 cases depending to the following:

-the pattern of the head (small, big, bigger)
-if you have lost all of your hair in the bald area of your scalp or if you have some, even fluffy hair, which can help the result or can become stronger using a therapy (ie big 3)
-also depends on your donor area (if for example you have many multi-haired grafts)
-and of course, if you are ready to extract and implant some of your body hairs (and especially beard hairs).

All the above gave me a very good result in my hair transplant made by DHI (which was a Norwood 6 pattern case). See my thread for photos: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71604
(I am trying to upload some more pictures but I get this message all the time: “…Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached…â€￾ so you can only see some pictures there, or you can visit my thread in the Greek forum, in which I am also posting.
Your transformation is amazing!
Your coverage is very good and you really cant be considered more than NW1.5 .
But i am asking how was is possible to do such a job with "just" 5.500 grafts in NW6 phase ?!

I saw vidoes of other doctors where they needed at least 10.000 grafts for NW6 - NW1.5-2 convertion.

Free

Established Member
Reaction score
gascoigne said:
Free said:
But i am asking how was is possible to do such a job with "just" 5.500 grafts in NW6 phase ?!

I saw vidoes of other doctors where they needed at least 10.000 grafts for NW6 - NW1.5-2 convertion.

Well thank you for your comment. My answer is simple and is related with the comment I wrote in my previous post and cite bellow as well.
1. small head
2. a lot of multi haired grafts (3,4 even 5 haired-grafts). In total, adding the beard and body haired (which also gave some two-haired grafts) I have more than 11.500 hairs implanted in a rather small head.
3. a lot of fluffy-fuzzy nature hairs in my NW6 pattern. During my last hair transplant at DHI they count around 20.000 native hairs in the area (using a pc microcamera by contrasting density and count hair charts, sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I am trying to say). Some of these hairs became stronger during the last 11 months by using a big 3 therapy. So actually, someone can say that the result is 70% hair transplant and 30% therapy, which is the case for many other hair transplant patients…

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Free said:
gascoigne said:
Free said:

Well thank you for your comment. My answer is simple and is related with the comment I wrote in my previous post and cite bellow as well.
1. small head
2. a lot of multi haired grafts (3,4 even 5 haired-grafts). In total, adding the beard and body haired (which also gave some two-haired grafts) I have more than 11.500 hairs implanted in a rather small head.
3. a lot of fluffy-fuzzy nature hairs in my NW6 pattern. During my last hair transplant at DHI they count around 20.000 native hairs in the area (using a pc microcamera by contrasting density and count hair charts, sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I am trying to say). Some of these hairs became stronger during the last 11 months by using a big 3 therapy. So actually, someone can say that the result is 70% hair transplant and 30% therapy, which is the case for many other hair transplant patients…

I see.
Is it ok to ask aprox. cost of your hair transplant journey?
Do you still have to use the meds and could you maybe in next 2 years do another hair transplant using 1.500-2.000 (beard -body) grafts so you can drop the meds ?

Free

Established Member
Reaction score
gascoigne said:
I see.
Is it ok to ask aprox. cost of your hair transplant journey?
Do you still have to use the meds and could you maybe in next 2 years do another hair transplant using 1.500-2.000 (beard -body) grafts so you can drop the meds ?

I have pay approximately 12.000 euros (with a small discount in the last two hair transplants because I’ve done them again at DHI). I can get another 1000-1500 grafts from my beard donor area in the future (for now I think that there is no need to do so). As far as medication is concerned, I take (approximately) 0,8 mg of finasteride every two days, minoxidil twice daily and fungoral shampoo two days per week. I am not thinking of stopping them as they have helped me to enrich my hair transplant result and probably they have more to offer in the near future. I have no cite effects and the only case I will stopping them (for a period) is when I decide to have children in the near future

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
That's an amazing transformation Free, if I saw you walking down the street I'd never know you had an hair transplant.

Gives me hope for the future if my hair loss becomes more aggressive and I decide to get a hair transplant. I have a smallish to average size head and a ton of facial/body hair.

Free

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes dudemon, you are (once again) right. It’s not “the caseâ€￾ for most of NW6. My case had several advantages, which I have analyzed above. However, with some good hair transplants, a good therapy and a lot of patience, someone, with similar characteristics, can see some really good results. I upload a short photo album and a short history of me in: http://imgur.com/a/hyVtt#0

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be the best NW6 transformation I have yet to see, in addition to so few grafts, and your hair/skin contrast is also high!

You speak of a small scalp area. Do you know roughly the size that you had to cover, like 8 cm x 12 cm and the density that was planted?

Your results are definately reassuring to many.

Free

Established Member
Reaction score
keepinthehair said:
This may be the best NW6 transformation I have yet to see, in addition to so few grafts, and your hair/skin contrast is also high!

You speak of a small scalp area. Do you know roughly the size that you had to cover, like 8 cm x 12 cm and the density that was planted?

Your results are definately reassuring to many.

Thank you for your comment but do not underestimate the fact that I may be a Norwood 6 pattern, but I had an amount of “fluffy-fuzzyâ€￾ hair alive at my head which helped me to achieve this result. The result would have been different if I was a total bald NW6 case. So, both native hair and successful natural-look hair transplants help on this result. As far as my scalp area is concerned I don’t know the exact size but I know it’s smaller than a usual head (they have told me that at DHI as well and because of that, they were also very optimistic about my final results). I might try to measure it, but they have already done that at DHI, so it might be better if I can retrieve this information by them in my next visit (which will take place next month for my usual evaluation). So, be patient and I will probably provide you with this info soon.

Free

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to follow my story, I have uploaded new photos (two months post op my 4th hair transplant in http://imgur.com/a/hyVtt#0)
And another new: as from 10/3/2012 I have decided to quit finasteride as I have faced some erectile dysfunction during the last few weeks.