Townes Story - (21 / pics!)

Townes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to blow my hair loss out of proportion like a few people I've seen who have had responses of "Is this a joke?" I realize my hair loss isn't extremely severe but still, I'm concerned.

Anyways, I'll be 21 in less than a month and I first started noticing some recession at the corners of my hairline about a year and a half ago. I had never really thought about it (I have always worn bangs) until my roommate brought up how in his genetics class he learned baldness comes from your mother's side. Well, my Mom's Dad was bald so I started looking for signs of it.

I have some pics of my hair combed wet, but the camera and lighting might both be making it difficult to see much. I'm most concerned about the corners of my hairline and to an extent, the temples.

I have been using Saw Palmetto (320 mg/day) for almost a year and just started using Nizoral 1% Shampoo about 2 weeks ago, 2 times a week.

I also drink 2-3 cups of green tea per day but have always done so, and I don't know if I'm making this up, but I think some people have said this helps with hair loss?

Anyways, let me know if there is something else I should be pursuing to maintain, cuz I'd love to have a lot of my hair for a long time. I've contemplated finasteride but am concerned because Saw Palmetto already messes with my sex drive. Rogaine is kind of out of the question because I've just heard some bad side effects like facial swelling, and bags under eyes, and it seems to counter-productive to use something that could potentially make me look worse when I am trying to keep something that makes me look better.

Also, keep in mind again that the lighting and camera might make it seem better than it is. Also, the hair at the corner of my hairline is really light (I was blonde as a kid). I will take dry hair pictures tomorrow, with pulling back my hair instead of just having it combed wet, and I think it'll show more of what I'm concerned about.

el5dhj.jpg

aw8b6c.jpg

hwkagw.jpg

103s747.jpg

33viutj.jpg

efq92b.jpg

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Townes (21 y/o male) - Pics

Hey man mine is almost exactly like yours. Wispy thin hair near the temple, there are still fine hair but it looks bald. It normally looks ok until you try to comb a side parting, which is when it looks kinda bad.....

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

Possibly the very early stages of hair-loss. Maybe a little early to say for sure. Your hairline is intact, but there might be some miniaturization. I'd be interested to see photos with better lighting.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeh i think you are starting to loose it with some small minor miniturization.

Your whole hairline will probably recede as opposed to just the temples. A big forehead is the most likely outcome, i know this because it seems like the same pattern as me. Im 23 and have maintained relavtively well.

Look at my page if you can, most people say im blowing it out of context but im on the big 3 and still see my hairline going back. (very slowly)

joshua88

Established Member
Reaction score

You're a Norwood 1.5, but I see thinning in the NW2 region. If it gets past that, definitely start treatment.

Townes

Reaction score

thanks for the help guys. I will get better pictures later today.

I'm alright with my hair right now, and can style it so the loss isn't noticeable and I'd be content to just keep it how it is...but at the same time it would be nice to have a full hairline but I don't think I would be willing to go on any medications just for that.

Following the last post seems reasonable, just waiting to see if it progresses a little bit before starting anything. I already made myself a deal that when I lose the hair at the side of the hairline I am going to probably start finasteride/Propecia. Idk, I kind of don't want it to get any worse though.

Pics later today.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

Here's a handy piece of info that you might appreciate later: It's much easier to maintain than to regrow.

G

timbo said:
Here's a handy piece of info that you might appreciate later: It's much easier to maintain than to regrow.

this is very true... Think about it in terms of staying in shape. Its easier to stay in shape, then not be inshape and having to get in shape.

Ever think of getting on finasteride/propecia alone right now as prevention?

Townes

Reaction score

Yeah I've contemplated Finasteride but am a little worried that I could make my hair worse than it already is. Also, if Saw Palmetto already messes with my sex drive then it will be nonexistent with finasteride I'm guessing?

Hmm...contemplating starting finasteride to maintain but like I said, shedding/losing more hair, and also things like man boobs kind of worry me.

Townes

Reaction score

ok here are some pictures with a better camera and with dry hair. as you can see it looks much worse dry and with a higher res camera (probably should not have even posted the good pics actually haha). I'm alright with my hair as of now because the way I style it looks fine, but I'd like to keep what I have.

what should I be looking to do? see how the nizoral works maybe over the summer? I've only been using it for 2 weeks.

2hcj21h.jpg

sy1bhl.jpg

24cgzrr.jpg

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

Why are you taking something (saw palmetto) that isn't proven to work and is giving you problems with libido. It seems like the logical thing to do would be to take something that is proven to work and has a low risk of side effects, Propecia.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Get on finasteride quick. You'll probably never have any more recession. No one knows for sure if saw paw metto works...people just think it's the same as finasteride but "natural". There's no way to know that for sure...no tests have proven it...and worst of all there is no way to figure out the optimum amount for each person without clinical trials.

Townes

Reaction score

Ok I am seriously contemplating starting finasteride. Just a few questions:

How much should I be taking? Per day? Every other day?

Where is the cheapest place to get it without a prescription?

What are the worst side effects? Do many people experience MORE hair loss when using this? Is the decrease in Libido long-term or will it stop if I stop finasteride?

Thanks.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah I'd get on finasteride if I was you, in fact I virtually was you (about the same hairloss) and I am currently on finasteride.

You should take 1mg per day, but it's easier to buy 5mg pills of finasteride which you then cut into 4 pieces which obviously means you take 1.25mg a day, but it doesn't make much difference.

You can buy finasteride online from United Pharmacies or Inhouse Pharmacy, cheap and easy. Otherwise you need to get a script from your doctor.

Side effects vary (from none to a lot, although the studies suggest only 2% of people have problems), the best thing you can do is find out for yourself though. If you encounter any problems they won't be permanent so you can just chose to stop taking the meds and you'll go back to normal.
You'll probably shed early, but that's about it.

Have a look around the forums, all the questions you've asked have been answered a thousand times before + a lot more information you'd probably be interested in.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Townes said:
Ok I am seriously contemplating starting finasteride. Just a few questions:

How much should I be taking? Per day? Every other day?

Where is the cheapest place to get it without a prescription?

What are the worst side effects? Do many people experience MORE hair loss when using this? Is the decrease in Libido long-term or will it stop if I stop finasteride?

Thanks.

The cheapest thing to do is buy Fincar from InHouse pharmacies or somewhere like that. 5mg pills...probably like 90 bucks or something for a year's worth, maybe less. Get a pill cutter and split the pills into 4ths or 5ths. Take 1 to 1.25 mg.

Most side effects are in your head from what I have read. I am actually starting my Fincar today so I will update on how things go for me. It seems that most people never have any side effects, so they never post on this forum. The ones who do have side effects, however, will post, leading to a (false) conclusion that more people than the scientific studies say have side effects.

Pretty much almost everyone on this forum who has ever experienced any bad side effects (lose of libido etc) have said that they can quit finasteride and within a day to two weeks they are 100% back to normal.

If you read carefully into many of the people who have had long-term side effects, they also seem to have other psychological issues and I am fairly certain that most of the "severest" side effects are in their head. There is no scientific reason to believe finasteride will continue to harm you after it is out of your system.

Anyway, hope you have good luck with it, you'll probably keep all of your hair forever. My hairline is about like yours, maybe a little lower, butttt it's thinning a LOt more so it looks like I'll pass you within the next 5-6 months. Starting finasteride today, so I hope everything goes well.

Townes

Reaction score

thanks a lot for the help guys, I am definitely going to order some soon.

Townes

Reaction score

hmm did some research and I was wondering if taking 0.5 or 0.25 mg would be better? I really don't want any side effects at all, and I've read a lot of people who said that 1mg is overkill. Considering how my hair is now, would you guys recommend the lower dosage? If so, 0.5 or 0.25 mg?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Townes said:
hmm did some research and I was wondering if taking 0.5 or 0.25 mg would be better? I really don't want any side effects at all, and I've read a lot of people who said that 1mg is overkill. Considering how my hair is now, would you guys recommend the lower dosage? If so, 0.5 or 0.25 mg?

I just started today, took 1.25 (1/4th of a 5mg pill), no side effects at all so far. Hopefully none will appear.

Honestly the lower doseage only matters if you have side effects on 1mg

Townes

Reaction score

how reputable is a place like inhouse pharmacy? I was going to get the 1 mg Finpecia and split it in half and take 0.5 mg a day. I'm just worried I will be getting fakes or some pills with stuff other than finasteride in them.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Townes said:
how reputable is a place like inhouse pharmacy? I was going to get the 1 mg Finpecia and split it in half and take 0.5 mg a day. I'm just worried I will be getting fakes or some pills with stuff other than finasteride in them.

pretty much everyone says its real especially ppl that get minor sides can confirm it.

the company inhouse buys it from is a reputable company cipla i think theyre just based in india so they can produce stuff and dont have to pay Merck for it