Topicals: Frequency of Applications

freudling

Reaction score
How many times do you put topicals on? i.e. minoxidil. I apply once per day. I have read some derm's saying that is enough and the only reason to apply twice per day is because that is how the original study went. Now, perhaps twice per day is more effective than once, but I just apply once per day. Anyone know the half life? I think a great thing for the Parmies is that they have people thinking twice per day is required.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i read about that too. but i still sticking with twice per day for the first year just to be safe. after that, most likely i will reduce to once per day.

freudling

Reaction score
Private Ryan:

Sounds cool. I have read mixed things about half-life of minoxidil (12 hours here, 1 day there). Even if the half-life is half a day, I fail to see what this means to the follicles in which the minoxidil has diffused into means. Simple process. Apply minoxidil. It diffuses into the skin, attaches to the hair follicle, and then effects intracellular processes. Just because it is not 'around' after half a day in the blood or skin, doesn't mean it is not effective. The cells are being effected by the minoxidil. Something like propecia is perhaps a tad different, as its life in the body is important as it is systemic, so having it active in the blood is how it works.

I guess I want someone to tell me that, applying minoxidil twice per day does X to a cell, while applying it once does X to the cell in a 24 hour period. Anyway, I have read convincing articles by derms who are experts in hairloss stating that once per day is enough. Since I am maintaining, it is perfect. It is also easier on the skin and the wallet.