Topicals and Ingredients for DIY formula for Microneedle or Mesotherapy

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested in starting to microneedle with various topicals in a blend. I am overwhelmed by options for Female Androgenetic Alopecia But also determined to figure it out/
I am on oral minoxidil 1.25 which is saving hair but NOT reversing miniaturization or growing.
I lost most 20+ years ago so I may be out of luck.

I have tried to order from MinoxMax but they refunded me for some odd reason so I am listing suppliers below and curious if you have had experience.
Thanks

I would need to figure out % but easy enough.
It's the combination I struggle with.

Solvent: https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/propylene-glycol1.aspx

Dutasteride: I have the .5 pills but not sure how to dilute for microneedling and how often. Is HUTERA available yet?

Retinol: (alternative to Tret) https://www.rainshadowlabs.com/Reti...-material-to-be-added-to-products_p_1354.html

Canrenone: (spironolactone alternative less the rotten egg odor) https://www.echemi.com/produce/pr22...hite-crystalline-powder-976-71-6-hanhong.html

Micro Roller: https://www.amazon.com/Beauty®-Professional-Titanium-Scars-Stretch/dp/B07NJQS9KZ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=34LS94KV09ZZC&keywords=koi+roller&qid=1658941458&sprefix=koi+roller%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-2

DMSO: Amazon suppliers - A few formulas on Ebay and otherwise sound promising. This would be easy enough to make "if" efficacious https://www.ebay.com/itm/193465093354

C60? Too many suppliers, unclear on efficacy in combinations.

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
There are probably a few threads on DIY topical dutasteride.

There are some studies that showed topical dutasteride + 1.5mm microneedling was effective once per week. Some of the dutasteride mesotherapy studies were as infrequent as once per three months.

Generally, women have better responses to therapy than men. Maybe try needling once a week for three to six months, evaluate, then possibly add topical dutasteride? Give that a few months, evaluate, then decide if you want to add something else?

If you're hellbent on making your own topical dutasteride, here's a reddit link:

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score

There are some studies that showed topical dutasteride + 1.5mm microneedling was effective once per week. Some of the dutasteride mesotherapy studies were as infrequent as once per three months.

Generally, women have better responses to therapy than men. Maybe try needling once a week for three to six months, evaluate, then possibly add topical dutasteride? Give that a few months, evaluate, then decide if you want to add something else?

If you're hellbent on making your own topical dutasteride, here's a reddit link:

where are those studies?

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Start here

Nada, Essam & Sharkawy, Reham & Abd Elmaged, Wafaa & Elmagd, Marwa. (2018). Topical dutasteride with microneedling in treatment of male androgenetic alopecia. Sohag Medical Journal. 22. 387-400.

Nada, Essam & Sharkawy, Reham & Abd Elmaged, Wafaa & Elmagd, Marwa. (2018). Topical dutasteride with microneedling in treatment of male androgenetic alopecia. Sohag Medical Journal. 22. 387-400.

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score

I have already been microneedling with limited success, hence the desire to add topical.
Thank you much for the link, although it doesn't help me as I have the liquid gel caps of dutasteride and I am unclear as to how to create a formula that results in .2% from a .5 mg gel cap. Propylene glycol can be ordered anywhere but not the liquid dutasteride.

kittygirl68

My Regimen
Reaction score
.2% is 2mg per mL....

So 4 gel caps per mL of solution.

Does that help?
It sure does :) Huge help!
Too bad I stink at math, now I need 60ml but I don't think I have enough capsules. ha.

I suppose it is also hard to know how much I fully get out of these capsules? Do most people just puncture and squeeze?
I am going to try it in propylene glycol.
Any thoughts on non-oily bases? Not sure what other solvents there are.
Thanks!

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
It sure does :) Huge help!
Too bad I stink at math, now I need 60ml but I don't think I have enough capsules. ha.

I suppose it is also hard to know how much I fully get out of these capsules? Do most people just puncture and squeeze?
I am going to try it in propylene glycol.
Any thoughts on non-oily bases? Not sure what other solvents there are.
Thanks!
This is the difficulty with diy--there's no official right answer.

You'll probably have to experiment. I put a vitamin d gel cap in water. After an hour the gel cap had opened and somewhat dissolved.

If it were me, I'd try small batches. Maybe try opening the gel caps with a pill cutter, then soaking a few in PPG? See what happens.

Also, keep in mind the study above used a .01 percent concentration...the equivalent of two .5mg gel caps per 10ml.

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After all these years, nothing doesn't work. Everything is 5 years away, or more.

Adamovsky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would caution against using ingredients that may require dilution or specialized handling without proper guidance from a professional. It's essential to ensure you use safe and effective ingredients in the correct ratios. Have you considered contacting a cosmetologist like Physiq NYC or a trichologist for their recommendations on topical solutions for your hair loss? They can provide you with more personalized and effective options.

Last edited: