Topical soy, 65% reduction in human sebum at week five

michael barry

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from another article:

114E-5

Inhibition effect of genistein and soy isoflavone on sebum excretion in fuzzy rat
H.-W. PARK1, M.-S. Yang2, Y. C. Sim2, S. J. Lee2, and W. S. Park2. (1) Health products research team, Pharmaceutical & Health research institute, Amorepacific Corporation R&D Center, 314-1 Bora-ri, Kiheung-up, Yongin, 449-729, South Korea, (2) South Korea

Acne is a multifactorial disorder reflecting the role of infection, abnormal keratinization and immunologic reaction, as well as hormonal influences, on the pilosebaceous unit. For many clinical studies, acne had something to do with elevated levels of androgens, originating in both the andrenal glands and ovaries. The conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone(DHT); 5a-reductase plays a crucial role in acne disorder. Isoflavone, flavonoids extracted from soy, is a estrogen-like compounds and genistein is one of the aglycone type of the soy flavonoids.

In order to search for effective plant extracts applied for androgenetic acne, we screened natural plant extracts having inhibitory activities of 5a-reductase type 2 and demonstrated its biological function in androgen-related animal models.

We evaluated the inhibition activities of isoflavone and genistein by contact cell based metabolic method using a stable HEK 293 cell line expressing human 5a-reductase(type 2). To elucidate the biological activity in vivo, the isoflavone and genistein were systemically applied to fuzzy rat(conc: 0mg, 50mg, 100mg, 200mg /body weight). The secreted sebum and the size of sebaceous glands of fuzzy rat were measured after 6 weeks.
Isoflavone showed higher inhibition activity of 5a-reductase type 2 ( IC50 value=2.4µ¶/µ¢) than that of isoflavone, but lower than that of finasteride. The amount of sebum and sebaceous gland size decreased remarkably in in-vivo test using fuzzy rat model

We have demonstrated the inhibitory activity of isoflavone and genistein for 5a-reductase type 2 and its biological action in fuzzy rat models, suggesting that genistein and isoflavone would be used as an effective agent for androgenetic acne and for the inhibition of secretion of sebum by modifying androgen conversion.

Session 114E, Nutraceuticals & Functional Foods: Bioactivity measurement and mechanism
8:30 AM - 12:00 PM, Friday AM Room Hall N-1

2004 IFT Annual Meeting, July 12-16 - Las Vegas, NV

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Michael interesting stuff you posted there....one of the reasons i lost a bit of confidence in green tea was that my face was still greasy after using it for a few days. I didnt give it anything like 3-5 weeks to shrink sebaceous glands. Damn impatience.

Anyway was wondering if this was supposed to read different:
"Isoflavone showed higher inhibition activity of 5a-reductase type 2 ( IC50 value=2.4µ¶/µ¢) than that of isoflavone, but lower than that of finasteride."
isoflavone higher than isoflavone.
hh

jonny21

Reaction score
Harold....what kind of green tea product were you using on your face?? I have the same problem with my face being constantly oily all day long and nothing seems to help.

Thanks

michael barry

Reaction score
Harold,

Cedarwood at .6% concentration was the best sebum reducing agent tested by Johnson and Johnson. . Im putting it on my chin (left side) in hopes that its a good topical anti-androgen. But perhaps its only a good type one alpha five inhibitor or something, thus why Im actually testing it.

It took peppermint oil/purified water three months before the anti-androgenic result was plainly visible. You started to see results in month two. Hair is slow. It took revivogen three full months to reduce wrist hair extremely well, and I started seeing results again in month two. The first month, you wont see much of anything----the stimulis ennui just carries on for a while apparently.

Green tea, and its been over two months now, has resulted in a --small--reduction in beard hair on the right side of my jaw. Not much though....................clearly inferior to peppermint oil/water. I am however, afraid peppermint is like licorice and is actually bad for hair period. I hope Im wrong about that.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Harold,

Cedarwood at .6% concentration was the best sebum reducing agent tested by Johnson and Johnson. . Im putting it on my chin (left side) in hopes that its a good topical anti-androgen. But perhaps its only a good type one alpha five inhibitor or something, thus why Im actually testing it.

Yeah? Do you have a link for the Johnson and Johnson thing? Is it a patent or a study?

It took peppermint oil/purified water three months before the anti-androgenic result was plainly visible. You started to see results in month two. Hair is slow. It took revivogen three full months to reduce wrist hair extremely well, and I started seeing results again in month two. The first month, you wont see much of anything----the stimulis ennui just carries on for a while apparently.

Yeah these things do take a while. I guess I would assume that it would take less time than the 3 months or so required to see regrowth than to see sebum reduction. But I guess I had it in the hours/days which is unrealistic.

Green tea, and its been over two months now, has resulted in a --small--reduction in beard hair on the right side of my jaw. Not much though....................clearly inferior to peppermint oil/water. I am however, afraid peppermint is like licorice and is actually bad for hair period. I hope Im wrong about that.

What worries me about peppermint is that it seems to work also by another means - inhibition of testosterone synthesis or something undesirable. Cant remember the details but the hormonal reaction in rats (i think) taking it was different to what you would expect with a 5-AR inhibbitor or even an antiandrogen.
hh

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
For God's sake...why don't you guys get some Sebutape test-strips and test these natural products more scientifically, instead of just putting them on beard hair and hoping to see a difference after several months?

michael barry

Reaction score
Harold, the Johnson and Johnson patent was for both cedarwood and hydrolized soy protien. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1172087.html

Cedarwood at .6% ..................

Here is a little verbiage from the patent:

The volunteer was requested to make a note of application of face wash and face cream daily on the given diary sheets. Sebumeter readings were taken 3 weeks and 6 weeks later.

Cedar wood and elubiol application led to a significantly greater fall in the sebum reading at 6 weeks as compared to 3 weeks. Treatment with Poplar bud, on the other hand showed no difference between 3rd and 6th week.

A comparison between the treatments indicated that at 3 weeks the average percentage reduction in sebumeter readings on forehead and cheek was best with cedarwood (p <0.01 better than elubiol). The effect of poplar bud was comparable to elubiol.

At 6 weeks the effects of cedarwood were consistently maintained. The effect of elubiol improved, while poplar bud remained the least effective although this was not a consistent effect as seen by the wide variation in response. EXAMPLE 35

In this example the sebum control properties of moisturizing gels with plant extracts, cedarwood extract and hydrolysed soy protein, at a lower concentration of 0.5% is demonstrat

I thought this was interesting..............indicating that hydrolized wheat and hydrolized soy protien both could inhibit sebum production:

Mean sebum readings charts showed Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein and Hydrolyzed Soy Protein exhibiting similar profiles versus Elubiol, with sebum readings decreasing with time, from 124-138 mu g/cm <2> at baseline to 68-81 mu g/cm <2> at week 12. EXAMPLE 33

michael barry

Reaction score
Bryan,

I already KNOW, via Johnson and Johnson's patent, that cedarwood inhibits sebum production a great deal................more than anything else they tested. HOWEVER, just maybe its a hellacious alpha five type one inhibitor that doesnt do anything against the androgen receptor or alpha five type two. The only way to tell is to see if it reduces my beard hair (like peppermint oil/water did).

FYI.................Green tea extract/ethanol/purified water hasn't done all that much. Face is dry where its been applied, and its very obvious that area's sebum secretions are way down...............but the hair is only mildly weaker. NOTHING compared to what peppermimt oil did in the same time frame.

Im concerned with something that can get down to the dermal papilla depth, not break down while getting into cell walls, etc. Im already aware green tea's ECGC and ECG can inhibit sebaceous activity and that they stimulate ex-vivo hair follilces, but I want to see if they can act as a follicular anti-androgen topically through the dermis.

FYI again.....................Licorice is probably very bad for hair, even though its one motherphucker of an anti-androgen as the last 2007 North American Hair Research society abstracts show in rat hair. Im afraid menthol might also be "bad" for hair in some way period, even though its an anti-androgen.
Epilatory Effect of Glycyrrhizic Acid
Zaper, Julijana;1 Kakadjanova, Aina;1 Pfeffer, Jeannette;1
Kippenberger, Stefan;1 Bereiter-Hahn, Juergen;2 Kaufmann,
Roland;1 Bernd, August;1
1. J.W. Goethe University, Dept. of Dermatology, Frankfurt/
M., Germany; 2. J.W. Goethe University, Dept. of Zoology,
Frankfurt/M., Germany
Hypertrichosis, hirsutism and giant hairy nevus are well
known examples of abnormal hair growth with some
risk of a significant negative impact on the psychosocial
development of affected people. So far, all known methods
for hair removal are more or less effective and show
partly considerable side effects like pain, skin irritation,
contact eczema, folliculitis, and hyper-pigmentation. In
co-operation with a study group of Turkmenistan we found
a new principle of painless and rapid hair removal based on
liquorice, a commonly used herbal extract of the traditional
Asian medicine. In the meantime we defined the liquorice
compound glycyrrhizic acid to be responsible for the
epilatory effect. We dissolved 15% glycyrrhizic acid in an
aqueous solution containing 10% urea and 20% ethanol
and treated wistar rats in the neck region twice a day.
After 3 days first indications for hair loss became visible.
After 6-12 days the treated skin was nearly free of hairs
without any sign of skin irritation. Even after a periodically
long term treatment over one year no abnormality of the
skin surface was visible, but a permanent reduction in
re-growing hair quantity by more than 50%. Based on
these findings Glycyrrhizic acid is a candidate molecule
for the development of a powerful agent for painless and
permanent hair removal.

michael barry

Reaction score
Harold wrote:

What worries me about peppermint is that it seems to work also by another means - inhibition of testosterone synthesis or something undesirable. Cant remember the details but the hormonal reaction in rats (i think) taking it was different to what you would expect with a 5-AR inhibbitor or even an antiandrogen.
hh

Dont forget the Turkish study with peppermint tea and hirsutism (good effect on suppressing hirsutism in females) that also noted that MANY MEN IN TURKEY COMPLAIN ABOUT NO LIBIDIO WHEN THEY DRINK PEPPERMINT TEA over time..............I think it probably intereferes with the androgen receptor or binds to T in some way. It will reduce the living hell out of body hair............I can attest to that.

abcdefg

Reaction score
With the countless things we know reduce dht topically why are we all using propecia still?

abcdefg

Reaction score
They said this
"amount of sebum and sebaceous gland size decreased remarkably in in-vivo test using fuzzy rat model". They said it lowered 5 ar2 less then finasteride so are they saying inhibiting 5 ar2 is what caused a decrease in sebum and sebaceous gland size?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
They said this "amount of sebum and sebaceous gland size decreased remarkably in in-vivo test using fuzzy rat model". They said it lowered 5 ar2 less then finasteride so are they saying inhibiting 5 ar2 is what caused a decrease in sebum and sebaceous gland size?

Not necessarily. The 5a-reductase enzymes in rodents and humans aren't exactly the same, and I'm pretty sure that finasteride affects BOTH of the rodent versions.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Does finasteride change sebaceous gland sizes in humans?
All I know is my head itches like crazy where my hair is falling out just like countless others complain of. I have acne now and oily clear pieces of fatty type stuff and coincidentally its only right where my hair is miniaturizing and I think this is related somehow. Im just not sure if finasteride is the answer or not and dont want to take something like that unless I need to.

michael barry

Reaction score
Does finasteride change sebaceous gland
sizes in humans?

Do you mean to PHUCKING tell me that you have made 813 posts on this site and don't know that finasteride has no effects on sebum or sebaceous glands.??????? None at all.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
how much time befor this proudect is out? it sounds like one hell of a think for acne, sd and just oily skin.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed from the photos but is this another fake hope, years pass and we still got only the big 3.