Topical solutions: corticosteroids, antiandrogens, estrogen?

SteveO

Reaction score
If topical anti androgens work to some degree for hairloss, wouldn't compounds have similar function be useful?

For example, a steroid such as testosterone, obviously, increase testosterone levels in the body. An aromatase inhibitor (anti estrogen) increases testosterone also, albeit at a lower level.

So, I reitterate. If anti andogens work decently, wouldn't an estrogen analogue be an alternative or concommitant approach?

Topical corticosteroids have been used sucessfully to treat forms of alopecia. I have yet to see an abstract where it is used for androgenic alopecia though.

I would be interesteed to see it used in conjunction with a topical anti-androgen or an estrogen like 17alpha (or beta) estradiol, or maybe even estriol.

Any thoughts here? I'm just throwing out ideas.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
sublime said:
Excess estrogen can caues the hair cycle to shorten especially 17alpha (or beta) estradiol.

Reference or citation, please. I don't know of any evidence to support that claim.

Bryan

SteveO

Reaction score
Here's an interesting abstract I found.

Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol. 2003 Nov-Dec;16(6):356-66. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Testosterone metabolism in human skin cells in vitro and its interaction with estradiol and dutasteride.

Munster U, Hammer S, Blume-Peytavi U, Schafer-Korting M.

Abteilung fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Institut fur Pharmazie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Deutschland.

Since the limited knowledge of cutaneous drug metabolism can impair the development of specifically acting topical dermatics and transdermal application systems, the cell-type-specific androgen metabolism in human skin and its inhibition by drugs were investigated. Cultured human foreskin and scalp skin keratinocytes and fibroblasts as well as occipital scalp dermal papilla cells (DPC) were incubated with testosterone 10(-6) and 10(-8)M alone and in the presence of 17alpha-estradiol, 17beta-estradiol or dutasteride for 24 h. Androgens extracted from culture supernatants were subjected to thin-layer chromatography and quantified by beta-counting. In keratinocytes and DPC, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) was only formed to a low extent while androstenedione was the main metabolite. In fibroblasts, DHT formation was pronounced following 10(-8)M testosterone. Dutasteride 10(-8)M completely suppressed 5alpha-dihydro metabolite formation. 17alpha-Estradiol and 17beta-estradiol at nontoxic concentrations decreased 17-ketometabolites. Human skin regulates testosterone action by cell-type-specific activation or deactivation. Effects of 17alpha-estradiol in androgenetic alopecia are not due to 5alpha-reductase inhibition. Dutasteride may be useful in acne and androgenetic alopecia. Copyright 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel

If alpha-estradiol does not affect 5alpha reductase, and still is useful for androgenic alopecia, then the conbination of the two would be certainly benefical.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. Estrogen is thought to be good for scalp hair.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here we go. :)

FC-13 THE INHIBITION OF HUMAN HAIR GROWTH BY ESTROGEN IN VITRO

Estrogens can significantly influence the hair cycle and have been shown to inhibit hair growth in vivo in rodents. Although we have recently reported that estrogen receptors are expressed in the human hair follicle, the role of estrogens in human hair growth is still unclear. Therefore, we have used a whole follicle organ culture system to investigate the effect of both 17beta and 17alpha-estradiol on human hair growth in vitro. Individual hair follicles from non-balding scalp (n=3; mean age 49.3yrs) were microdissected out from surrounding skin and incubated individually in phenol red-free William’s E medium supplemented with L-glutamine, penicillin, streptomycin, 5mM glucose and either 10nM 17beta-estradiol, 10nM 17alpha-estradiol or the vehicle control (0.0001% alcohol) (6 follicles per group from each patient). The increase in the length of the follicles was measured sequentially with an inverted microscope fitted with an eyepiece measuring graticule over a seven day period. Follicles in each group exhibited linear growth over the seven-day period. Follicles incubated with 17alpha-estradiol grew at a similar rate to the control group. However, follicles incubated with 17beta-estradiol grew at a significantly slower rate than the control group. These results show that the biologically active estrogen, 17beta-estradiol, has a physiological effect on human hair growth in culture, which parallels the in vivo effects seen in rodents. We have previously shown that ERbeta is the receptor expressed in human hair follicles in situ and that it is expressed in the cells of the dermal papilla and follicular epithelium. Studies are in progress to further elucidate the mechanism of action of estrogens and estrogen receptors in the human hair follicle.

http://www.ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts ... nelson.htm

Hair Loss Study Abstract: Estrogen Blocker Grows Hair

Researchers say a compound used in laboratory experiments to block the production of estrogen also has the surprising side effect of awakening sleeping hair follicles. Their report in the October 29 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says if the estrogen blocker proves safe for people, it could be used for hair loss caused by chemotherapy, male pattern baldness, or gradual thinning.

"It's a novel finding, because a great deal of past research on hair loss has focused on androgens (male hormones), but not estrogens," said study senior author Dr. Robert C. Smart, associate professor of molecular and cellular toxicology at North Carolina State University in Raleigh. Smart and his co-author, toxicology doctoral candidate Hye-Sun Oh, were not looking for a baldness cure when they made their discovery

http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_treat ... kers_5.cfm

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that study has been mentioned a few times in the past. It's probably the ONLY one that's ever (allegedly) found an adverse effect of estrogen on human scalp hair follicles; I tend to doubt its findings because the main author (Messenger) has been on an anti-estrogen kick for a long time, and even went so far as take out a patent on using anti-estrogens for male pattern baldness. I doubt his general judgement and accuracy on anything having to do with that particular issue, especially in the face of other evidence which conflicts with his. And here's one of those conflicting studies below:

J Invest Dermatol. 1993 Jul;101(1 Suppl):98S-105S.

"Sex hormones and antiandrogens influence in vitro growth of dermal papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes of human hair follicles"

Kiesewetter F, Arai A, Schell H.

Department of Dermatology, University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, Germany.

Anagen hair bulb papillae, interfollicular dermal fibroblasts, and interfollicular keratinocytes isolated from fronto-parietal scalp biopsies as well as outer root sheath keratinocytes from plucked anagen hairs were separately grown in subculture for 14 d. The effect of different concentrations (2.4 nM-17.3 microM) of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and the antiandrogens cyproterone acetate or 17 alpha-propylmesterolone on growth behavior of the mesenchymal and epithelial cell types of the hair follicle were comparatively studied by means of growth curves, cell doubling times, and 3H-thymidine incorporation. For control, all cell lines were subcultured in hormone-free medium. Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (345 nM) significantly reduced proliferation of papilla cells compared with dermal fibroblasts (p < 0.01) and outer root sheath keratinocytes compared with interfollicular keratinocytes (p < 0.01), as well as compared with cells cultured in control medium. Low concentrations of 17 beta-estradiol were ineffective, whereas doses of 180 nM 17 beta-estradiol increased the growth velocities of all cell types, especially of papilla cells, compared with dermal fibroblasts. Low doses of either cyproterone acetate (24 nM) or 17 alpha-propylmesterolone (29 nM) induced a growth enhancement, especially of papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes, whereas high doses of cyproterone (1.20 microM) and 17 alpha-propylmesterolone (1.45 microM) had opposite effects. These changes were significant between papilla cells and dermal fibroblasts as well as between outer root sheath keratinocytes and interfollicular keratinocytes. Applying increasing doses of androgens to cyproterone acetate (24 nM)- or 17 alpha-propylmesterolone (29 nM)-containing media neutralized the growth-stimulating effect of antiandrogens, particularly in papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes. However, minor differences between testosterone and dihydrotestosterone effects on cell growth were found. The data clearly demonstrate that the changes of in vitro growth of hair follicle cells depend on the concentrations of androgens and antiandrogens, as higher doses of both antiandrogens tested retarded the cell proliferation similar to testosterone or dihydrotestosterone. The papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes reacted more sensitively to the hormones tested, thereby confirming the concept of a distinct androgen sensitivity of these specialized hair follicle cells.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan,

I am not wholly against estrogen I am simply stating to be careful what you do with hormones like estrogen (ie. pouring it on ones head as in using it like a topical). I eat 25 grams of soy every day so I am not biased or an estrogen hate monger. I think more research needs to be done on a lot of fronts but from what I have read 17beta-estradiol does not seem to be a helpful estrogen along with 16-hydroxyestrogen. I have noticed several studies do not seem to differentiate the different types of estrogen with the associated result. Either way I welcome more information in this area since an imbalance in hormones and a sensitivity to DHT is why we are all pretty much here in the first place.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, I agree with you that a lot more research needs to be done on the effects of estrogen on hairloss. But as of now, the PREPONDERANCE of evidence is on the side of estrogen having a beneficial, protective effect on human scalp hair. In fact, the Europeans seem to be even more enthusiastic about using topical estrogens than Americans are, what with that often-cited German study of topical 17a-estradiol. And I have previously cited several other topical estrogen studies by other European doctors, on both alt.baldspot and HLH.

The odd-man-out in all this is that stupid Smart study (I just LOVE to say that! :) ) from North Carolina, in which they apparently made the hilarious mistake of assuming that just because estrogen has a negative effect on animal hair follicles (mice or rats), it should have the same effect on human SCALP hair, so they proposed the use of ANTI-estrogens for humans; they apparently didn't even understand the basic premise that sex hormones seem to have OPPOSITE effects on body hair and scalp hair. DUH! :wink:

Bryan

jbob

Reaction score
I am thinking about giving topical estriol a try on my temples. I haven't lost too much yet but I would rather be gaining hair than losing it.

From what I've read, topical estriol is relatively weak and is almost completely locally metabolised. I would be applying the smallest amount to the smallest area of skin so any estriol lost to the circulation would be almost nonexistent.

Estriol comes as Ovestin cream in 1 mg/g concentration. Readily available pretty cheap from inhouse pharmacy.

seems pretty safe and worth a shot, any comments?